• ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    WE=Me, Grelber, Dusty, Kisada.

Kisada, it also helps if you shoot more than once every couple of months. :D

Ok, maybe it would you. It doesn't seem to help me. :D

That is a distinct possibility. :laugh:
    I have been consistently coming out to RB each month except for the one almost none of us went to... (Sept?)

It just weirds me out that I can hit targets fairly close to mark, on the move at distances farther out,
    yet when it comes to controlled shots at 5-7 yds, I shoot like a stormtrooper (Star Wars style, not nazi).:rolleyes:

Need to figure out if I need to dot the "I" or bury the dot with the .45... or maybe a little in between for that matter. (Not that I've figured it out with the CZ either)
    Looking back on saturday's COFs, I'm thinking I was ignoring the rear sight for the most part and just using the front, more than likely not the first time. Maybe why I seem to shoot better on the move/under pressure?
    Mike, haven't I heard you mention using that method?

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I think I was so upset at having to shoot over the hood instead of around the car... :D

:rolleyes: I was about ready to shoot through the window and just take a procedural for it:D

WE=Me, Grelber, Dusty, Kisada.

Ah, this explains the problem:laugh:

That is a distinct possibility. :laugh:
    I have been consistently coming out to RB each month except for the one almost none of us went to... (Sept?)

It just weirds me out that I can hit targets fairly close to mark, on the move at distances farther out,
    yet when it comes to controlled shots at 5-7 yds, I shoot like a stormtrooper (Star Wars style, not nazi).:rolleyes:

Need to figure out if I need to dot the "I" or bury the dot with the .45... or maybe a little in between for that matter. (Not that I've figured it out with the CZ either)
    Looking back on saturday's COFs, I'm thinking I was ignoring the rear sight for the most part and just using the front, more than likely not the first time. Maybe why I seem to shoot better on the move/under pressure?

I don't think Mike uses the sights at all:):

You're probably flinching- completely normal, everyone does it to some extent, even the tough guys that say they don't. The reason you're shooting better on the move is because you're focusing on the sight and target and you're mind isn't getting wrapped around the round going off. Have someone load some mags for you, ala malfunction junction, and see what happens when you come to an empty chamber:twocents:

I've heard a lot of guys do the "dot the I" deal. I've never bought into that idea. Good sight picture, front sight "on" target, trigger control. It works, I've got the shirt to prove it:cool:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I remember Grelber So'ing someone but I can't remember who, but when time to slide/hammer down they aimed next to their own right foot, pointing in the general vicinity of Grelb's left foot. I believe I noticed it a couple different times actually. I'm sure it isn't something most would probably even notice or think about. I personally make sure I'm pointed out 3-4ft./45° out in front of me, well away from legs and feet when I do so. Might be something to make note of for all you safety fellers.

Good point.
    Another trouble I had was people getting in a hurry with the make the gun safe process, it feels good if that is done slow and methodical. I did the same thing to Steve and he had to hand check my gun because I didn't let him see the mag drop.
    Sometimes folks go all the way to dropping the hammer without me saying squat & I really hate that, I want both of us involved in the process even when the shooter is somebody like Scott or Eadens.

the move at distances farther out,

Borrow my shot timer next time. After you prove to yourself how little time it takes to get a better sight picture it helps with the psychology (sometimes).

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Good point.
    Another trouble I had was people getting in a hurry with the make the gun safe process, it feels good if that is done slow and methodical. I did the same thing to Steve and he had to hand check my gun because I didn't let him see the mag drop.
    Sometimes folks go all the way to dropping the hammer without me saying squat & I really hate that, I want both of us involved in the process even when the shooter is somebody like Scott or Eadens.

:): I ran Scott on the classifier once. I don't even know why I was needed:):

My personal practice is to take the time to let the SO see my cylinder is empty. After that, it's up to them as to how I proceed. If they use correct terminology, I follow them- "cylinder closed, holster." If they start mumbling things like "slide down...uh...cylinder....uh hammer...." I just go it my own to help them out:)::laugh:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Good pointAnother trouble I had was people getting in a hurry with the make the gun safe process, it feels good if that is done slow and methodical. I did the same thing to Steve and he had to hand check my gun because I didn't let him see the mag drop.

Borrow my shot timer next time. After you prove to yourself how little time it takes to get a better sight picture it helps with the psychology (sometimes).

I think after my first match I altered how I did the show clear process, kind of basing it off who my SO is. Mike is pretty quick, Scott just a slight bit slower,etc. Just queuing off their quick commands. I try to be pretty deliberate with each action. Not sure if you've so'd for me or not, Jeff.

I might have to take you up on that timer offer. I've thought about picking up a timer, chrono and other items, but kinda holding off until I might get a membership somewhere I can make proper use of it when I want. :D

Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    I think I am going to be able to make the WSSC this week. Anybody know about how long it will be? I am guessing aboiut the same as RB. Hope to see everyone there.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I think I am going to be able to make the WSSC this week. Anybody know about how long it will be? I am guessing aboiut the same as RB. Hope to see everyone there.

If things go as they have at some past matches, it will be done quite a bit earlier than Redbrush. I believe last time they ran 5 stages, but there's only two squads and they usually have 10-12 shooters.

Hope to see you there!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    WSSC Email for 11-10-12 IDPA

Hello Shooters,
    Westside Sportsman's Club will be holding our monthly IDPA Match on
    Saturday, November 10th. Sign up starts at 10AM, new shooter orientation
    at 10:30AM, shooting starts at 11:00AM.

The cost will be $10.00 per weapon. The round count should be 90 to
    150. Feel free to go to the IDPA website for the rules.
    http://www.idpa.com/.

A lunch will be available for $5.00. A box lunch will be ready about
    1:00pm, Shooter can eat at their leisure.

WSSC members that would like to help setup, be there at 8am. This is an
    easy way to get your work hours.

Please be aware there is a 5 MPH speed limit on the clubs property.

I hope to see everyone on Saturday.

Thanks,
    Jay L. Hile

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

I think the matches there have been wrapping up around 2:30 or so. We had a great group of pasters last time at WSSC so much so that we were finished, tore the stage down and were leaving and they other group hadn't started the final course of fire yet! Hope to see you there!

On the sight picture, that is what gave me a bit of a fit when switching from the Glock to the M&P...the site picture was different and I found myself shooting incredibly low with the Smiths. With the Glock it's like I can slice the target with the top of the site and that is there it goes and with the Smith I have to 'drive the dots' I think I've heard it called where you place the dots where you want the bullet to go. It was more pronounced between the G21 and the M&P45; my M&P9 will cut a ragged hole with about the same style sight picture as my Glock which, despite their slight differences, seems to be the best paring I shoot when I switch from .45 to 9mm. In all honesty I probably point-shoot out to about 10 yards or so...maybe more. I figure I'm shooting at a man-sized target and if I can get the gun to snap up in the middle of the target I should be good to go. Sights are for shots out past 30 feet... I figure I'm either a phenom or an idiot, one of the two :D

Several hit on something, too. I am TERRIBLE when it comes to slow-fire practice. Too much time spent thinking about the mechanics and not enough on just making the shot. I try not to slow-fire practice much since I don't shoot in a slow-fire manner. I try to practice at the same speed I shoot IDPA...with or without the sites! :D Everybody is different and what works for one may not be what works for the other...it's not a difficult process but it might still take a bit to figure what works for each shooter.

I know my biggest inconsistency is (aside from constantly changing guns) is my trigger work and it showed a bit Saturday..and told on me when I broke a few shots a tad earlier than I wanted. Again, I have to stop switching between makes/brands/platforms and just shoot the one I shoot best if I want to get better. I think I get a good sight picture and my arms and grip on the gun are pretty consistent so it's trigger work that will give me the most fits.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So very much to say about this post. I cannot resist. Here goes

I think the matches there have been wrapping up around 2:30 or so. We had a great group of pasters last time at WSSC so much so that we were finished, tore the stage down and were leaving and they other group hadn't started the final course of fire yet! Hope to see you there!

On the sight picture, that is what gave me a bit of a fit when switching from the Glock to the M&P...the site picture was different :n00b: and I found myself shooting incredibly low with the Smiths. With the Glock it's like I can slice the target, i.e. spray and pray,with the top of the site and that is there it goes and with the Smith I have to 'drive the dots', I think I've heard it called where you place the dots where you want the bullet to go, i.e., the correct way to aim and fire a handgun, good thing Smith "makes" their weapons that way:):. It was more pronounced between the G21 and the M&P45; my M&P9 will cut a ragged hole with about the same style sight picture as my Glock which, despite their slight differences, seems to be the best paring I shoot when I switch from .45 to 9mm. Because I actually shoot better with the inherently inaccurate gun:): In all honesty I probably point-shoot out to about [STRIKE]10 [/STRIKE] 100 yards or so...maybe more. I figure I'm shooting at a man-sized target and if I can get the gun to snap up in the middle of the target I should be good to go. Although I should probably shoot for the 8" center of the IDPA target:): Sights are for shots out past 130 feet... I figure I'm either a phenom or an idiot, one of the two :D (comments withheld:laugh:)

Several hit on something, too. I am TERRIBLE when it comes to slow-fire practice. Too much time spent thinking about the mechanics and not enough on just making the shot. I try not to slow-fire practice much since I don't shoot in a slow-fire manner. I try to practice at the same speed I shoot IDPA...with or without the sites! :D Everybody is different and what works for one may not be what works for the other...it's not a difficult process but it might still take a bit to figure what works for each shooter.

I know my biggest inconsistency is (aside from constantly changing guns) is my trigger work and it showed a bit Saturday..and told on me when I broke a few shots a tad earlier than I wanted. Just so we're clear, that is a ND :D Again, I have to stop switching between makes/brands/platforms and just shoot the one I shoot best if I want to get better. I think I get a good sight picture and my arms and grip on the gun are pretty consistent so it's trigger work that will give me the most fits.

LOL:lmfao:Just playin- sorry man, couldn't resist!!!!!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    :laugh:

So, do tell us, what are you planning to run Saturday?

I don't know...smart money is on me keeping with one gun...but the fun money really wants to break out my spanking new coyote tan Raven and my M&P9. It's technically made for the M&P45 but there is enough retention in the holster to make the slightly less wide 9 set in there just right! I'm getting low on 9mm and my .45 stash is right behind it, too. Thankfully I have some 185 Hornady bullets that I got on rebate when I bought my press and the dies. They shoot really well although I'm not in any hurry to change bullet weights; I like my 200 grain Montana Golds just fine!

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    The house was a bit time consuming for whatever reason

As a person in the squad that kept catching your squad, lack of people pasting and stage resetting was a big issue. It was REALLY evident when you are able to sit back and watch it from the outside. When we got to the house, you guys only had about 3 people that were doing any work. And the house wasn't the only stage this happened on.

With a stern face, look upon those sitting and talking about reloading and say: "The man said the range was safe- that means go reset and paste."

Actually, I got quite the chuckle out of that when you did it. As I stated above, it was very evident from the outside and the frustration on your face before you said anything was a telling sign. It shouldn't have to be that way. It does take a lot of the fun out of it when you have to cover the slack for others in your squad. The SO's shouldn't have to be worrying about or waiting on resetting the stage if everyone is involved.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    As a person in the squad that kept catching your squad, lack of people pasting and stage resetting was a big issue. It was REALLY evident when you are able to sit back and watch it from the outside. When we got to the house, you guys only had about 3 people that were doing any work. And the house wasn't the only stage this happened on.

Actually, I got quite the chuckle out of that when you did it. As I stated above, it was very evident from the outside and the frustration on your face before you said anything was a telling sign. It shouldn't have to be that way. It does take a lot of the fun out of it when you have to cover the slack for others in your squad. The SO's shouldn't have to be worrying about or waiting on resetting the stage if everyone is involved.

Agreed. There are some stages that the whole squad isn't required- the far and near stage Sat. comes to mind. A few guys pasting and swapping out is fine. A stage with a lot of steel, movers and pasting needs everyone. You're right, the fun can be sucked out quick if everyone isn't on board.

Of course, I haven't said much about this, but I was already ticked-off and the lack of help just added to it. Just before your squad rolled in I saw an experienced guy under the shelter do the following: Clear kydex, sweep most of the squad under the shelter, my kids sitting there, point gun at ground and pull the trigger and return gun to holster. I couldn't believe he had done it. We had words. We won't be squadding together again:xmad:

I guess it's a good thing I'm not an SO. I think I would have tagged the guy with a DQ and marched him to Scott to discuss his future at RB matches.

Before anybody asks, I can't recall the name. I've shot with him a few times and he's likeable and we get along. It's the dude that constantly has his Glock going down.

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    I don't know yet. If it's supposed to be as nice as they are saying for this weekend, I probably won't be. I might spend my weekend at Lincoln State Park again.

Top Bottom