• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you do not like the lake stage it is Brian's fault.

Owen's is the treasurer, so if there is still no portable shade for the lake then that is Brian's fault too.

It will be hot. We have had folks get sick during or after the match because they did not get hard core about drinking lots of water. Mike is too big to carry.

Somebody needs to buy all my 625 IDPA stuff and the XD I have in the classifieds.

That is all I can think of.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If you do not like the lake stage it is Brian's fault.

Owen's is the treasurer, so if there is still no portable shade for the lake then that is Brian's fault too.

It will be hot. We have had folks get sick during or after the match because they did not get hard core about drinking lots of water. Mike is too big to carry.

Somebody needs to buy all my 625 IDPA stuff and the XD I have in the classifieds.

That is all I can think of.

I have my portable Shaggin' Wagon I'll be draggin' :D lots o shade there!

can't believe you are giving up the 625!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have my portable Shaggin' Wagon I'll be draggin' :D lots o shade there!

can't believe you are giving up the 625!

A man has to recognize his limitations (eventually, or it just drives you crazy).

I am a recoil sissy, for some weird reason the 40 doesn't bother me but 45's and I flinch either immediatly or eventually :n00b:

Shameless promotion https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9021-s-w-625-45-revolver-competition-rig.html .

From looking at the sign of sheet it looks like Saturday should be a good crowd.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    A man has to recognize his limitations (eventually, or it just drives you crazy).

I am a recoil sissy, for some weird reason the 40 doesn't bother me but 45's and I flinch either immediatly or eventually :n00b:

Shameless promotion https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9021-s-w-625-45-revolver-competition-rig.html .

From looking at the sign of sheet it looks like Saturday should be a good crowd.

Great looking gun! You aren't looking for anything on the trade side are you? I'll help spread the word!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'm not an SO, nor have I played one on TV. But after our conversation after the match yesterday, about the events of the day, I have 1.5 cents to inject.

I made an off the cuff remark about stage design at the house to Grelber, I now feel that was unwarranted for the most part.

The entire end game of a match is safety. No one should have any extra holes in them when they leave. None, nada, zilch. Nor should the SO's suffer from PTSD from being muzzled umpteen times.

It would be horrible if anyone was injured during the course of a match. The SO's that struggle/anguish with the decision to DQ someone, need to keep in mind it's all about safety. It's better to be maybe overzealous, then to let it slide for safety sake.

Safety should be the number 1 priority. Worrying about DQ'ing folks based upon whether it will affect the number of participants, new shooters coming back after being DQ'd or how much money is taken in, should be far down the list of priority. If someone were to get injured due to an SO letting a DQ violation slide, could possible result in many disastrous results.

In today's legal environment, the SO, the club, and the match director could possibly be in a world of legal jeopardy. We are part of the gun culture that should strive to set an example for safe gun handling for all. If you DQ someone and they get all butthurt, well too bad, so sad. At least everyone hopefully went home safe. Personal responsibility can be a b*tch to accept. The rules, such as they are, are rules.

Comments? Thoughts? Flames?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Comments? Thoughts? Flames?

I think you are right.

Seems like the tools are - coaching - demonstrating - penalizing .

When I started it seemed like there were always folks in my squad who could provide good coaching and were more than happy to. I'm not sure that happens well now, it seems like squads tend to consist either of a large number of new guys or of a large number of guys who have been shooting for quite a while. That may be something that many or all of us could be more proactive about when we see the potential for a person to run into an issue with inexperience and course requirements.

For demonstration, sometimes I wonder if a new shooters meeting should be all about safety and the new shooters should get a 1 match pass on all of procedural stuff. They can pick up the games rules trivia on their own from their squad , as is when you get somebody that is truly green they have quite a bit to attempt to digest in 15 minutes.
    Other thing, I am thinking of designing some stages (out in the open) that force shooters to work around the common errors (reload moving toward your weak side, move backwards, pick up a magazine off the ground during a course of fire without muzzling yourself). The stage descriptions will need to heavily emphasize what is required, but you would have a whole squad observing the right way to go through the tricky bits, could even place a good guy target somewhere on the course and require the shooter not to muzzle him or get a procedural.

Penalty wise, it is not that we are never using the tool (RB had a dq yesterday and 3 last month) , but I think we need to consider an absolute zero tolerance policy until we all agree that things are as they should be. Any tweak like that would be a group decision ideally.
    I talked to one of the folks who got dq'd last month, he seemed to think it was appropriate and a very good (though not fun) learning experience.

Just my thoughts.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Our typical squad seems to end up with numerous new shooters, sometimes 60% are new. And the regulars do attempt to lead the new folks down the correct path. Sometimes its accepted with grace, sometimes not so much.

I agree on the new shooters meeting, safety should be the main focus.

Another issue that was had yesterday, and happens often at RB. The stage descriptions on a couple of stages were not clear. Then on top of that, when the pre-match SO walk through was done, SO's were told differently about stages then what was written on the stage descriptions. I don't think it should be expected that SO's have to remember the verbal changes 4-5 hours later (and they weren't). Both of these issues caused our squad to not shoot a stage or two the way it was intended.

I'm not picking on anyone, I realize it is a lot of volunteer work that makes these matches run, and it's unappreciated at times.

I'll shut up now. :)

Have I mentioned it was HOT yesterday. :)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    All great discussion topics and definitely topics that need to be brought up. In the end you have to trust those that are competing will look at the mistake as a learning experience and will work on concentrating and understanding what is required. There is a lot going on and having a safe environment is paramount. Everybody has their own ideas as to what they like to see in stage design and with a wide variety of skill levels at the local level I tend to dislike stages that aggressively push the shooter down the 180 degree line. But, that is also part of the shooting sport and being aware of where you are in both space and time is one of the single most important skills to have in action shooting.

In the end, no matter what the stage ends up looking like, the DQ button does need to be pressed a bit more often to help keep everyone safe and sharp.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    For those that haven't gotten an email or are subscribed to the Facebook page Southern Indiana Competitive Shooting, the WSSC is hosting their annual Classifier this Saturday and it is a scheduled match. Contact Jay to find available times otherwise showing up at 10 or 11 could result in a bit of a wait until times open up!

of course this is Southern Indiana and all the forecasts are showing it could be a soggy one so everyone involved will be paying close attention to the weather and the field conditions!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you do not like the lake bay Saturday you can blame Mark H. for it :) . It is good when other folks suggest stages, gives the shooters a bit more diversity in challenges.

Got to thinking about our unsafe gun handling discussions after last match. I think everyone agreed that we do have a problem. Not certain what anyone else is going to do or what the best approach is, but this is what I am going to do.
    1. If I have any doubt about what I saw then that is a discussion after the shooter shoots the stage and not a call.
    2. Any unsafe gun handling that I know that I see will result in a dq. No warnings, no exceptions, don't care if it is a first time shooter or a very experienced shooter, if I lose half my squad on 180 calls at the house or any technically challenging stage then it is what it is. This includes handling ammo at the safety table.

I may see fewer folks sign up to squad with me and perhaps Brad and Jay will not be quick to ask me to run a squad or help do so :) .

If things improve to the point that s.o.'s do not require post match sedatives then perhaps it might make sense to re-evatuate.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    If you do not like the lake bay Saturday you can blame Mark H. for it :) . It is good when other folks suggest stages, gives the shooters a bit more diversity in challenges.

Got to thinking about our unsafe gun handling discussions after last match. I think everyone agreed that we do have a problem. Not certain what anyone else is going to do or what the best approach is, but this is what I am going to do.
    1. If I have any doubt about what I saw then that is a discussion after the shooter shoots the stage and not a call.
    2. Any unsafe gun handling that I know that I see will result in a dq. No warnings, no exceptions, don't care if it is a first time shooter or a very experienced shooter, if I lose half my squad on 180 calls at the house or any technically challenging stage then it is what it is. This includes handling ammo at the safety table.

I may see fewer folks sign up to squad with me and perhaps Brad and Jay will not be quick to ask me to run a squad or help do so :) .

If things improve to the point that s.o.'s do not require post match sedatives then perhaps it might make sense to re-evatuate.

Agreed.

Top Bottom