• Why do you conceal?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I was at the Blueberry Festival over the weekend, in Plymouth, IN. Its a fairly large festival held on public property, with all sorts of food vendors and entertainment. Admission is free.

At the entrance, you are greeted by police. Around half-a-dozen officers at any given time are standing there with whistles, blowing at anyone with anything resembling a weapon on their person. You will be told to return your property to your car. I have witnessed this happen to someone with a pocketknife clipped to their pocket, as well as someone with a visible chain connecting their wallet to their belt.

While the cops are distracted with hassling people over chains and folding knives, I walked past their checkpoint with my gun, concealed under my shirt. I scoff at my tax dollars being put to work, enforcing non-existent laws.

I don't always conceal, but I have come to realize something about why I conceal. I could care less about what other people think about me. I also don't bank on having a tactical advantage in my next proverbial firefight. For me the only reason I conceal is to avoid police, or having them called on me.

Why do you conceal? Check all that apply.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So, they were illegally preventing people from carrying firearms at the park?

Not if the organization putting it on is private and has rented the park and hired police to provide security.

It may be the law, but it's still :bs: that they can be prevented from carrying there, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So, they were illegally preventing people from carrying firearms at the park?
    It certainly seems that way to me.

ETA: What BOR says above makes sense, but I do not know if that is the case; if the park was being privately rented or not.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I cast 2 votes:

#1 - I don't normally conceal.
    #2 - When I DO conceal, it is simply to "avoid confrontation", I suppose.

Went to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy at Conner Prairie over the weekend. I've never seen a policy regarding much of anything, let alone otherwise lawful carry. I concealed anyway. I wasn't worried about the "coppers", as much as having that "1 in 3000" schmuck try to ruin my family's evening by making a big deal out of nothing.

I've never been bothered by Law Enforcement while open carrying, and I've been around cops plenty. Heck, I've had the Glock vs. XD debate with a few when they noticed!

BTW: The concert was great!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You didn't have my option, nor an "other" option... or I'd have chosen "It's nobody else's beeswax what I've got or what I'm doing with it."

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I was at the Blueberry Festival over the weekend, in Plymouth, IN. Its a fairly large festival held on public property, with all sorts of food vendors and entertainment. Admission is free.

At the entrance, you are greeted by police. Around half-a-dozen officers at any given time are standing there with whistles, blowing at anyone with anything resembling a weapon on their person. You will be told to return your property to your car. I have witnessed this happen to someone with a pocketknife clipped to their pocket, as well as someone with a visible chain connecting their wallet to their belt.

While the cops are distracted with hassling people over chains and folding knives, I walked past their checkpoint with my gun, concealed under my shirt. I scoff at my tax dollars being put to work, enforcing non-existent laws.

I don't always conceal, but I have come to realize something about why I conceal. I could care less about what other people think about me. I also don't bank on having a tactical advantage in my next proverbial firefight. For me the only reason I conceal is to avoid police, or having them called on me.

Why do you conceal? Check all that apply.

You weren't at the fireworks Sunday night with your wife/girlfriend (blonde I think) wearing a black t-shirt carrying a 1911, were you? I saw a guy "concealing" somewhat badly about 6 rows in front of me.

By the way, the Blueberry Festival Committee rents out Centennial Park for the weekend, so it becomes private property. They can make whatever rules they want. I'm still not sure what effect that has with Lincoln Jr. High, since they also use the school property for part of the festival. If they rent school property, is it still a school?

ETA: I also saw a guy in the same area OC'ing a large hunting knife. I guess the cops must have missed that one.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    You weren't at the fireworks Sunday night with your wife/girlfriend (blonde I think) wearing a black t-shirt carrying a 1911, were you? I saw a guy "concealing" somewhat badly about 6 rows in front of me.

By the way, the Blueberry Festival Committee rents out Centennial Park for the weekend, so it becomes private property. They can make whatever rules they want. I'm still not sure what effect that has with Lincoln Jr. High, since they also use the school property for part of the festival. If they rent school property, is it still a school?

ETA: I also saw a guy in the same area OC'ing a large hunting knife. I guess the cops must have missed that one.
    Yeah, it is still concidered school property.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I conceal my firearm because I don't want to be hassled by people or police. I know that is the cowards way out. :( Even if I carry OWB I will untuck my shirt. I really don't mind telling others that know me that I carry a firearm. I consider that part of helping educate others. But I don't run around announcing it to the world.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I typically CC to avoid confrontations,as I have had a couple in the past......but I do occasionally OC,and recently have had no problems,so I may OC more in the future

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't conceal because I'm afraid of anything other than revealing myself to the BG in a bad situation. I don't want to make myself the first target, and the way I conceal doesn't significantly slow my access. OC just seems to me like swinging my dick around to show people how big it is. I'm not compensating for anything; I sure don't need to. Not that you are, just I'm not.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Wasn't me! But I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

By the way, the Blueberry Festival Committee rents out Centennial Park for the weekend, so it becomes private property. They can make whatever rules they want.
    Good to know. If $0.00 tax dollars went into the festival, then I don't have a problem with the rules existing. I still don't plan on disarming.

Yeah that's the hilarious part. Also, I think they used to sell knives there a few years ago.

Blueberry Fest aside, I still wanna know why people conceal.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I OC about 90% of the time. I mainly just conceal when I'm at church, since I don't want to distract from the real reason why everyone is there. It could also be a problem since I am the one standing in front of everyone delivering the sermon.

Other times that I conceal could be for different reasons. My brother in law is on e who worries about what other people think about him alot. So when we go out with him and my sister, I will occasionally conceal just to make them feel comfortable. If I am going to a place that is clearly anti-2A, I will conceal just to avoid a hassle. (Blueberry festival being a great illustration, as I go every year CC)

I guess my reasons for concealing (which are few) would be to avoid a hassle, whether that be from cops or others. Although, I am not afraid of confrontation at all when it comes to my carrying a gun. Sometimes the people I am with, or the reason for going to a certain place dictate the need to avoid a confrontation.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm not one for concealing unless I absolutely have to....I don't mind interaction with police as long as it is within the law for them to do so. As far as the blueberry festival...haven't been there in years and don't care to go see a bunch of craft (crap) stuff and pay for overpriced deep fried items that I could make at home if I feel the craving kick in.

Top Bottom