• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    No worries, Jeremy. Your claim to the title "Duke of the Northern Prairie, Lord of the Realms" remains intact.

Besides, who really cares what a noob thinks anyway? ;)

You've shown yourself well. Keep it up. Many have jumped into threads like this without reading the whole thing and have been drilled for a stupid comment.

Good job N8RV...so far, anyway:D

jrudd is teetering on the edge...:popcorn:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I don't know the open carry law here in Indiana (If there is one) but I recently heard of a situation in Fort Wayne. A gentleman was getting gas while wearing his pistol on his hip, open carry. Another gentleman confronted him to request he put his gun away. The man getting gas refused and the other man called the police. Evidently, the police put him on the ground, face down, and took his firearm. The man told the police that he had his permit and was legal to carry.

I am not sure what happened after that, I don't know if he was prosecuted for anything, or got his pistol back. I guess I could search it and find out the info, if any on the web. My question is, what is the law for open carry on your person?

I carry concealed almost everyday, never considered open carry, I don't really want anyone knowing I have a firearm on me until I need it.

We would all be very interested in reading about that one. Please find it and post away.

TDOGG just had an encounter in The Fort so it is timely and relevant.

jrudd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    Anderson
    Jrudd, better start paying attention when gun law is discussed. CCing doesn't make the gun invisible. Sooner or later, you're going to hear:
    Is that a gun?
    I don't think that's legal
    Etc.
    Etc.

Its nice to have a response. Appear calm and knowledgeable.

I appreciate the links to the discussions I had missed, especially without attitude. Those links came in handy, I might actually like this forum.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I appreciate the links to the discussions I had missed, especially without attitude. Those links came in handy, I might actually like this forum.

Don't give up on us too fast. First off, many of us know each other, and we give each other crap. A lot. Kind of like a family. Just don't take stuff personally, don't be thin skinned, and you will find a TON of good info in this forum. Good resources as well.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Thanks for the welcome, Titanium_Frost. I'll look for your comments.

What's particularly funny to me -- and this happens on all forums as a noob -- is that I am beginning to "know" some of the regulars here already. Some are authoritarian, some confident and some clueless. Quite a cross-section of humanity. :D

So true. It's the confident, clueless authoritarians that you have to watch out for.

Welcome!!

Guy

jrudd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    Anderson
    Jrudd, better start paying attention when gun law is discussed. CCing doesn't make the gun invisible. Sooner or later, you're going to hear:
    Is that a gun?
    I don't think that's legal
    Etc.
    Etc.

Its nice to have a response. Appear calm and knowledgeable.

After reading those posts, I can say I am more knowledgeable than before, which is why I asked the question to begin with.

I know there is a chance that my gun will get noticed, I am fine with that. On the other hand, I don't want to go around showing off my firearm to the world. I am not one to stir up sh*t, unless of course I have to. I just don't want to be the center of attention when I am walking through Wall-mart, the or city park. People might see it print, but no one knows for sure, and I doubt many would give it much thought. With all the accessories people wear on their belts today, I.E. phones, flash lights, knives, tools, it can be hard to determine unless it is pulled in an emergency. If I open carry, I will be confronted, I will be asked if it is legal. I will have people staring in discuss, and in admiration. For me, I am not comfortable with it, I have it if I need it, but if I don't need it, it stays out of sight, out of mind (as much as possible). That is why I conceal. I admire those can open carry and not be deterred by the attention. Its just not for me, at least not now.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    After reading those posts, I can say I am more knowledgeable than before, which is why I asked the question to begin with.

I know there is a chance that my gun will get noticed, I am fine with that. On the other hand, I don't want to go around showing off my firearm to the world. I am not one to stir up sh*t, unless of course I have to. I just don't want to be the center of attention when I am walking through Wall-mart, the or city park. People might see it print, but no one knows for sure, and I doubt many would give it much thought. With all the accessories people wear on their belts today, I.E. phones, flash lights, knives, tools, it can be hard to determine unless it is pulled in an emergency. If I open carry, I will be confronted, I will be asked if it is legal. I will have people staring in discuss, and in admiration. For me, I am not comfortable with it, I have it if I need it, but if I don't need it, it stays out of sight, out of mind (as much as possible). That is why I conceal. I admire those can open carry and not be deterred by the attention. Its just not for me, at least not now.

Rep coming your way for being honest and open minded.
    I have no problem with how any one carries (as long as it's properly holstered)...
    And same goes; if it's your preferred method and/or you are just not comfortable OC'ing...
    then that's good enough of an answer for us as long as you respect others for open carrying.

I completely agree with you in one aspect; If you're not good with confrontation or lack the ability to keep your cool/stay civil,
    you have no business open carrying. With that said, I've never had a bad encounter OC'ing; all positive or educational.

Also, not to go against people that choose to conceal (I do a lot, too)... but if you're going to CC, do your damnedest to CONCEAL it.
    Nothing seems more sketchy than seeing a guy standing in front of me in line with what now appears to be a gun "tucked" in his pants half way exposed.
    Think: where do criminals keep their guns...
    Even if anti-gun Joe Bob standing in line at Kroger sees your openly carried and holstered gun on your hip...
    Common sense will probably tell him that you aren't a bad guy (you have nothing to hide when you OC); even if he IS against it.

Carry on. :rockwoot:

jrudd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    Anderson
    Rep coming your way for being honest and open minded.
    I have no problem with how any one carries (as long as it's properly holstered)...
    And same goes; if it's your preferred method and/or you are just not comfortable OC'ing...
    then that's good enough of an answer for us as long as you respect others for open carrying.

I completely agree with you in one aspect; If you're not good with confrontation or lack the ability to keep your cool/stay civil,
    you have no business open carrying. With that said, I've never had a bad encounter OC'ing; all positive or educational.

Also, not to go against people that choose to conceal (I do a lot, too)... but if you're going to CC, do your damnedest to CONCEAL it.
    Nothing seems more sketchy than seeing a guy standing in front of me in line with what now appears to be a gun "tucked" in his pants half way exposed.
    Think: where do criminals keep their guns...
    Even if anti-gun Joe Bob standing in line at Kroger sees your openly carried and holstered gun on your hip...
    Common sense will probably tell him that you aren't a bad guy (you have nothing to hide when you OC); even if he IS against it.

Carry on. :rockwoot:

Well taken, and good point. Thanks.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Good for you. You'll find that those of us in the OC crowd aren't bothered by how you choose to carry, only that you carry.

Peruse this thread at your leisure and you'll see that it's pretty uncommon that anyone ever notices our sidearms.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-where_did_you_oc_today_thread_part_2_a.html

Welcome aboard and have fun. This forum is a blast...and addicting.

Stocks

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Although I have only been on INGO for about 24 hours, I have learned a lot about Indiana carry laws and the disparate opinions regarding how, when, where and why to carry.

Like jrudd, I am not comfortable with the idea of OC for ME. As I commented in another thread, I've never seen anyone around here (Elkhart) OC except for cops. Never.

And, like jrudd, I'm not one to seek attention. Walking around town with a pistol strapped to my side would make me really uncomfortable, always waiting for somebody to challenge me. I don't need that.

So, while I may be emboldened one day to OC, for now I need to begin to CC. The times I have are few and far between. Gotta figure out how best to begin.

Thanks to all for the education. Looking forward to learning more as I continue to read more threads on The Art of Carry.

jrudd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    Anderson
    Although I have only been on INGO for about 24 hours, I have learned a lot about Indiana carry laws and the disparate opinions regarding how, when, where and why to carry.

Like jrudd, I am not comfortable with the idea of OC for ME. As I commented in another thread, I've never seen anyone around here (Elkhart) OC except for cops. Never.

And, like jrudd, I'm not one to seek attention. Walking around town with a pistol strapped to my side would make me really uncomfortable, always waiting for somebody to challenge me. I don't need that.

So, while I may be emboldened one day to OC, for now I need to begin to CC. The times I have are few and far between. Gotta figure out how best to begin.

Thanks to all for the education. Looking forward to learning more as I continue to read more threads on The Art of Carry.

Now that you mentioned it, I have to the best of my knowledge, ever seen anyone open carry in Anderson or any other city I have been in. I travel the state for my job, from Ft Wayne to Louisville KY. Except of course LEO's. maybe it is not so common, not too many people doing it and I have not ran across them.

I wish I have, I would probably request to shake their hand for being that bold.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Now that you mentioned it, I have to the best of my knowledge, ever seen anyone open carry in Anderson or any other city I have been in. I travel the state for my job, from Ft Wayne to Louisville KY. Except of course LEO's. maybe it is not so common, not too many people doing it and I have not ran across them.

I wish I have, I would probably request to shake their hand for being that bold.

It isn't really bold, its been legal to OC far longer than to CC in Indiana. WE are just traditionalists but apparently we are making a strong comeback lately :D

Top Bottom