• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    engi-ninja That wasn't directed to you in particular, But if you read back a few pages you will realize that about 90% of the new posters post their anti OC opinions without reading the first page to see what the thread is about.

You may notice some of the first replys are "Did you even read the OP?"

Most of us have nothing against new joins unless they cone in spouting BS or break the rules.

:welcome: 2 :ingo:[SUP] from [/SUP]​NWI

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm a lot more comfortable in my OWB & OC configuration at my desk today - that's an argument in itself.

Plus, when someone newish here in the office says, "Are you carrying a gun?!"
    "Why, yes... yes, I always have and always do."
    Then they start thinking... guns dangerous... but... I've never noticed any danger before from him... and he had a gun....

Either their head explodes, or they smile and say, "well now I feel safer."

I love when they say, "well, it's not loaded though, right?", or "is it loaded?"
    WTF would I be doing with an unloaded gun?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Situational awareness, posture and attitude will stop most if not all confrontations.

Mindset.

madvarminter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    franklin
    i dont open carry because of the idiots that would try to provoke a response just safer for me and my family but if you can legally go for it makes me smile when i see it

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I love when they say, "well, it's not loaded though, right?", or "is it loaded?"
    WTF would I be doing with an unloaded gun?

I've been asked if I had real bullets. The same thoughts crossed my mind.

Back before I was a lawman, I would OC my Glock around town, in South Bend. South Bend has a prohibition on stun guns and Tasers. People would always ask me about my Glock, thinking it was a Taser. I always replied, "No, ma'am. It is not a Taser. Tasers are illegal in South Bend. It is a Glock model 19 hangun chambered in 9mm."

The looks on their faces was priceless.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    For those who open carry, have you experienced any increase in snide remarks, disapproving looks, or direct criticism as the media has continued to ramp up the anti-gun point of view? Or do most people just mind their own business or fail to notice that you are carrying?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    For those who open carry, have you experienced any increase in snide remarks, disapproving looks, or direct criticism as the media has continued to ramp up the anti-gun point of view? Or do most people just mind their own business or fail to notice that you are carrying?

Most people don't even notice even when you're standing right in front of them. But yes, the ones that do notice have been extra "*****y".

I find it ironic how they say they feel unsafe around the gun but yet confront the man with the gun.... loudly. :dunno:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have OD'd (also OCD) for years. Mostly People do not notice at all. I used to have confrontations with ignorant LEO, but not in years. Those that do notice are usually positive with just a few exceptions.

However, last week on the first sunny day in a while, I went to Popeyes. I was not wearing a coat and I think everyone in the place noticed and some were obviously uncomfortable.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Haha, just because I'm a noob on this site doesn't mean I'm a noob to carrying ;-) And yes, ease and comfort of carrying is a major plus for open carry. The one downside, at least for now because there are so few open carry folks, is that you become a first strike target for the bad guys. If I'm the only one carrying, I'd rather the bad guys not know it till it's too late for them. But I guess someone has to start open carrying in order for it to catch on eventually.

Ah....but you held so much promise...

It is very rare that anyone notices and even more rare that anyone comments. With the possible exception of a very few, the comments have been positive or neutral.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The vast majority never notice it.

For me, the few that have either were positive, assumed I was a LEO, or made a joke about it. I am always polite and answer whatever questions people have, but I don't play along with any jokes about using it on someone. Had that happen yesterday at the grocery store. Cashier joked to the bagger about me using on him. I simply said that was not what it was for.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    The only time I experience it is from other gun owners or LEO that just can’t mind their own business. Other then them it’s a been positive.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    The only time I experience it is from other gun owners or LEO that just can’t mind their own business.

I can mind my own business, but I usually do stop and talk to OCers. If you look like you're busy, I won't bother you, but I'll try to at least say hi, or nod my head in your direction. I saw a black woman openly carrying a Glock 43 if I remember correctly. I don't see many black people, or women, open carrying, so I definitely had to tell her that I appreciated seeing her carrying.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I can mind my own business, but I usually do stop and talk to OCers. If you look like you're busy, I won't bother you, but I'll try to at least say hi, or nod my head in your direction. I saw a black woman openly carrying a Glock 43 if I remember correctly. I don't see many black people, or women, open carrying, so I definitely had to tell her that I appreciated seeing her carrying.
    Then that was not directed at you then. It’s the LEO that come up to me when I’m eating lunch to tell me I’ll be the first one shot or the LEO comes up to me at a Red Box to ask me if I had a round in the chamber and if I did it that would be illegal or the LEO tells me at a park that I can’t open carry that I’ll have to conceal it. I can go one and one with SOME of the stupidy from LEO, I have 20 years worth. The general public has been pretty cool with it except for one time I had a older lady come run up to me to tell me that I’m scaring her with my gun.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Then that was not directed at you then. It’s the LEO that come up to me when I’m eating lunch to tell me I’ll be the first one shot or the LEO comes up to me at a Red Box to ask me if I had a round in the chamber and if I did it that would be illegal or the LEO tells me at a park that I can’t open carry that I’ll have to conceal it. I can go one and one with SOME of the stupidy from LEO, I have 20 years worth. The general public has been pretty cool with it except for one time I had a older lady come run up to me to tell me that I’m scaring her with my gun.

I hate those types of officers just as much, if not more, than you do. I have dealt with them in the past as well, as well as the people who are scared of your gun, but not scared enough to confront you about it.

If we were as violent as the anti gunners say we are, there wouldn't be any of them left.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I hate those types of officers just as much, if not more, than you do. I have dealt with them in the past as well, as well as the people who are scared of your gun, but not scared enough to confront you about it.

If we were as violent as the anti gunners say we are, there wouldn't be any of them left.
    :yesway:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have OD'd (also OCD) for years. Mostly People do not notice at all. I used to have confrontations with ignorant LEO, but not in years. Those that do notice are usually positive with just a few exceptions.

However, last week on the first sunny day in a while, I went to Popeyes. I was not wearing a coat and I think everyone in the place noticed and some were obviously uncomfortable.

Because you weren't wearing pants.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The worst commentary I've ever received due to open carry was always from people who started their lecture with "I've been around guns my whole life," or something similar and how they support gun ownership right before they regurgitated the same, tired anti-open carry myths.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I've known a shop owner, been going to his store most of my life.
    We were talking about people carrying, and I told him that most people don't realize how many people around them carry. And maybe if they did, they'd realize it's no big deal.
    He told me HE'D NOTICE if someone was concealing.
    I got a big grin, asked him to repeat that, and I stood squarely face to face.
    He repeated that.
    So I told him, "I'm carrying a large revolver, openly, right in front of you, and you haven't noticed.
    He sputtered.. then asked how long I'd been doing that.
    I told him I'd been open carrying in front of him for a few years, and I had concealed for most of my adult life. And most everytime he had seen me, I had a gun.
    Boy was he surprised.
    But, it didn't change his mind too much, I'm different because he knows me.

I did have a "girl" making comments behind my back while eating at station 21 in Crown Point.
    It was a group of 2 men, 2 women.
    I was eating, thinking of all the stuff to say, asking what she'd do if someone came in with intent to harm, cause I've already proven what I could do.
    Then I shrugged, kept on eating. I could care less that some overgrown spoiled brat that's never been in a fight thinks badly of me.

Top Bottom