• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    He had to step in it with the assumptive "truth" of tactical advantage, but otherwise, it was a solid piece.

Is Wisconsin open carry legal without the permit? I want to confirm that before I pass judgement on his statement that police reacts appropriately.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    He had to step in it with the assumptive "truth" of tactical advantage, but otherwise, it was a solid piece.

Is Wisconsin open carry legal without the permit? I want to confirm that before I pass judgement on his statement that police reacts appropriately.

Yes, OC is legal in WI without a license. Wisconsin passed a law in 2011 allowing conceal carry by state issued license. Prior to that, OC was the only legal method to carry in WI. No license was required for OC then. The only thing that the law changed in WI is CC.

http://my.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=316

From Handgunlaw.us http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf
    Open Carry (Without A Valid Permit/License)

Open Carry is legal. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. When
    open carrying, be prepared for Police Officers to question you as open carrying firearm gets their attention.
    See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle. See State vs Walls in AG
    Opinions/Ct Case Section on what is considered concealed.

The state preempts all firearm laws in the state and local authorities can’t have Laws/Ordinances against
    open carry. Remember that if you enter any property and the owner/responsible person ask you to leave you must leave. Failure to leave can result in Trespass Charges. The Minimum age for Open Carry is 18.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I agree that, overall, it was not bad at all.

The tactical advantage opinion with which I disagree is relatively small beans compared to the reasoned support he offered for exercising rights.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Personnal preference aside he makes a great point. It is easier to take something away that no one uses.

If you CC because the anti-gun mob doesn't like it then they win. If a majority of the people with a license to carry were to OC then the average person would realize that guns are not the problem, because they would see them everywhere. The only exposure to guns most people have is the media when something bad happens.

For the CC crowd:
    If a BG walked into a gas station and saw 3 or 4 people OC, would he still have the tactical advantage with his pocket gun? Would he carry out his robbery seeing that many armed citizens or try to find a softer target?
    I belive like most predators he would look for easier prey.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    The drunk staggering out of the bar and what people know is legal/illegal part was the clincher for me. Good article.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    “I understand some of you may disagree with me, but this type of insensitive behavior to cause alarm with so many people just because it is your right to do so is senseless.”

pretty much, I have the right to talk loudly on the phone on an elevator, doesn't mean its a cool move. These types do it for attention, nothing more. If they keep doing it and the wrong guy gets elected governor, it might not be legal for long.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    “I understand some of you may disagree with me, but this type of insensitive behavior to cause alarm with so many people just because it is your right to do so is senseless.”

pretty much, I have the right to talk loudly on the phone on an elevator, doesn't mean its a cool move. These types do it for attention, nothing more. If they keep doing it and the wrong guy gets elected governor, it might not be legal for long.

Ahh, the classic "Stop doing it or you won't be able to do it!" argument.

Very compelling. :):

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ahh, the classic "Stop doing it or you won't be able to do it!" argument.

Very compelling. :):

I think the point is more "stop rubbing it their faces or you'll lose it." If you OC then just OC. Don't OC and have a stare down with every 5 yo girl. When I OC I act like it's not even there. My SA is on hyper vigilant but you'd never know it to look at me. Just do it. Don't be an ass about it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

If you talk loudly on the phone, will they curtail the 1st amendment.

Should we stop other behavior? I hear some are scared of big dogs. I guess I better never let mine out.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think the point is more "stop rubbing it their faces or you'll lose it." If you OC then just OC. Don't OC and have a stare down with every 5 yo girl. When I OC I act like it's not even there. My SA is on hyper vigilant but you'd never know it to look at me. Just do it. Don't be an ass about it.

Let's face it, simply being visibly armed is all that it takes for some people to think I'm "rubbing their face in it" or being an ass about it. They don't think I should be "allowed" to wear a gun at all.

They can just suck it up, I'm not any more worried about their personal opinion than I am that they will form a majority and get some governor to tell me I can't.

And I manage just fine keeping an eye on those nefarious 5 yo girls without staring (or showing too much fear). ;)

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    There are advantages to concealed carry... I may or may not have been carrying all week in a state where .gov didn't give me permission to. I carry both ways but generally carry concealed because of work.
    People need to quit arguing about which is better and just agree that carrying a gun is all that matters. If you dont like oc then cc. If you dont like cc then oc. Just cause you like one or the other doesnt mean that someone else has to share the same views or do as you do. Never leave your cave without your club, whether its tucked in an iwb holster or displayed in an owb holster doesn't matter.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here is the one guys video, it only shows the ground but you can hear the audio.
    Open carry stop Germantown WI part 1 - YouTube

I believe this is the 2nd guy that was there but not sure. Not his video but he has dash cam and audio from about half a dozen LEO cars that responded and the 911 calls that prompted it.
    chuckley54494 - YouTube

The officer that talked to him was very professional and polite during their encounter, he did not push for ID or for really anything. He did ask if the guy had ID, he said yes but I don't wish to share it. The cop went okay. The entire stop was maybe 20 seconds or so. He was asked a couple of questions and gave pretty noncommittal answers, such as when asked where's your car, "somewhere that way".

I'd say it was handled quite well on both sides.

Here is a link to the FB page of the local police.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Germantown-Police-Department-Wisconsin/112539812160531

And to one of the deleted threads they had.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=609236952490812&id=112539812160531&stream_ref=10

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ... Should we stop other behavior? I hear some are scared of big dogs. I guess I better never let mine out.
    Well, technically, there are laws in most jurisdictions (yep, even Indiana) that prohibit letting a dog run loose through the community. Anyway, as previously noted:

I carry a gun.

I don't OC to 'flaunt my rights', I don't CC because I'm 'afraid to flaunt my rights'.

There are times when OC is appropriate, and inappropriate. There are times when CC is appropriate, and inappropriate.

I am wise enough to know the difference. I have to be, because...

I carry a gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom