• ...and so much more!
  • Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Question for everyone...

My son is an 8th grader this year at a public middle school here in Southern Indiana. He is taking 2nd year spanish and has a new spanish teacher.

Today, he told me that his spanish teacher told the class that starting on Monday, at a random time at the beginning of the class, she will have the students stop what they're doing, stand, and say the Pledge of Allegiance in spanish. She is going to have a handout to help them memorize the spanish version. I want to be clear that this is NOT the official Pledge at the beginning of the school day. This is in only that individual teachers classroom.

Now, my reaction is this. I told him to stand respectfully, and either say the Pledge of Allegiance in english with his hand over his heart, or to stand respectfully and say nothing. I told him to bring the paper home to me...I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at this point, but I feel like I may need it. I honestly intend to contact the teacher and/or prinicpal of the school on Monday morning, and depending on how that goes I may be headed to the administrative offices downtown. From there...I don't know..I guess I'll take one step at a time.

My question is this...am I over-reacting to this? I feel that the Pledge of Allegiance should be said in english. I understand that we have spanish speaking troops serving our country, but I think that students that are American should not be forced to say the Pledge in another language if they believe that it's not appropriate, and my son, being a Boy Scout, feels like this isn't right. He's a straight A student in advanced classes, so the reprecussions of not following his teacher's instructions are weighing heavily on him, as is this whole situation on me. Give me some input, please. I'm so aggravated right now over this that I can't hardly think straight. What would you do if you were in this situation?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    If it is his assignment for a spanish class no biggie, but I get where your coming from, sometimes you have to choose your battles, and I don't think this is a fight over being patriotic or not, it is spanish class. However if he has to say it in spanish during English, now we have a problem!

At least the teacher is keeping it our Pledge and not Spain's or Mexico's or some other countries. I wouldn't get to bent out of shape, but I like where your head is. I think it actually might be a :fawk: to the admin since students can't say it in English any more. Maybe you should give the teacher more credit, she might actually have found a loop hole for being a patriot :patriot:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I agree with RNM. If it was the official pledge of the day, or something of that nature then it might be a problem, but this is something that is familiar to the students that will help with their vocab, pronunciation, and grammar. I think the teacher is trying to play the familiar aspect to help the students learn. I don't think its a disrespectful thing in this case.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    would we be having this same discussion if it was French class? As a teaching tool, she is using a great many English words the class already knows and is allowing them to be said and then compared to the Spanish, good idea actually, you know, for someone teaching in the Government controlled school system!

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    What you're saying is sort of what I thought at first until I spoke with my son about it farily in depth.

It's bothering him, and that's part of why it's bothering me. I could understand if she was using it as a lesson being beneficial because of the students being familiar with the Pledge, learning it, and moving on, but my son says this is to be done every day for the entire year. Therefore, that leads me to wonder why, after they've learned it, to continue to do it every day. Is she making some sort of a statement, or is she she trying to push some view of hers off on the kids...or is she....what?

The biggest thing that bothers me is that my son doesn't WANT to say the Pledge in spanish. I've given him my permission to not do so if he feels uncomfortable with it. As I said in my original post, he would either say the Pledge in english, or say nothing at all. Those suggestions came from him, and I respect them.

I realize that this is a class that he signed up to participate in, and that this is apparently an assignment from the teacher, but it's against his beliefs, and to be honest, it's against mine as well. I'm concerned that if he excercises his belief and doesn't participate, that there will some sort of ramification to his actions. Now, don't get me wrong. I understand that he has to accept that, because as we all know things happen because of our actions, but I would have an extreme concern, and probably would take action (meetings, complaints, etc.) if he were to be given a lower grade, suspension, or anything else over this.

In fact, I still havent' ruled out expressing my concern to the teacher and principal. I'll have to think on that over the weekend I guess...

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    would we be having this same discussion if it was French class?
    Yes, we would. It wouldn't make a difference to me or my son if it were spanish, french, german, russian, portugese, italian, or any other language.

As a teaching tool, she is using a great many English words the class already knows and is allowing them to be said and then compared to the Spanish, good idea actually, you know, for someone teaching in the Government controlled school system!

Like I said above, part of me agrees with this thought (see my post above), but every day for the entire year? I guess I see that as more of an organized ceremony than an assignment.

Also, let's be clear...if this were a matter of me being uncomfortable with it but my son was fine with it, I wouldn't have even posted looking for input because I would have just sucked up my frustration and dealt with it.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Reps to the teacher for at least having the students pledge to OUR country...regardless of the language it's in. I for one will always say it in English, even though I could in Spanish if need be. I think it's right to do it that way, but think the teacher is probably just using something that all the young ones know very well as a translation lesson.

No arguement whatsoever about your parenting direction to your son!

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    What you're saying is sort of what I thought at first until I spoke with my son about it fairly in depth.

It's bothering him, and that's part of why it's bothering me. I could understand if she was using it as a lesson being beneficial because of the students being familiar with the Pledge, learning it, and moving on, but my son says this is to be done every day for the entire year. Therefore, that leads me to wonder why, after they've learned it, to continue to do it every day. Is she making some sort of a statement, or is she she trying to push some view of hers off on the kids...or is she....what?

The biggest thing that bothers me is that my son doesn't WANT to say the Pledge in Spanish. I've given him my permission to not do so if he feels uncomfortable with it. As I said in my original post, he would either say the Pledge in English, or say nothing at all. Those suggestions came from him, and I respect them.

I realize that this is a class that he signed up to participate in, and that this is apparently an assignment from the teacher, but it's against his beliefs, and to be honest, it's against mine as well. I'm concerned that if he excercises his belief and doesn't participate, that there will some sort of ramification to his actions. Now, don't get me wrong. I understand that he has to accept that, because as we all know things happen because of our actions, but I would have an extreme concern, and probably would take action (meetings, complaints, etc.) if he were to be given a lower grade, suspension, or anything else over this.

In fact, I still haven't' ruled out expressing my concern to the teacher and principal. I'll have to think on that over the weekend I guess...

If that is the case and those are your beliefs I would suggest either you calling or (if he would rather handle himself) Him going down to talk to his guidance councilor

Most Schools have a provision that can exclude students from participating in the pledge (Ex: Jehovah's Witnesses are bared by their faith to pledge allegiance to anything but God)

However he would have to be prepared to catch the flack for "going against the norm". (sucks but its true) And you will most likely feel a lot of resistance from the Teacher. All in all it would be an uphill battle so its all about how much it is worth to you and your son.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    That's a good point SC-Shooter...and I understand it. That's a part of what's causing some of my mixed feelings. You know, the 'it could be worse' syndrome. At least she's not having them say a pledge to the mexican flag.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    That's a good point SC-Shooter...and I understand it. That's a part of what's causing some of my mixed feelings. You know, the 'it could be worse' syndrome. At least she's not having them say a pledge to the mexican flag.

Them's fightin' words my friend!

We'd have to have a whole different discussion if that was the case.

:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    If that is the case and those are your beliefs I would suggest either you calling or (if he would rather handle himself) Him going down to talk to his guidance councilor

You know, that would probably be a better place to start than trying to get in to see the principal, thank you. I don't want to cause any sort of a public spectacle. I just want to be sure that his beliefs are respected and that he knows he has the right to follow them.

However he would have to be prepared to catch the flack for "going against the norm". (sucks but its true)

He is, he already asked me if I'd be disappointed if he were to get suspended, and I've assured him that I would be PROUD (I know, that sounds wrong, but I'm sure most of you understand) if it came to that. This is a boy who is a Star Scout, soon to be Life, straight A student, NEVER been in trouble, suspended, or anything like that.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I also will applaud you for being involved in your child's education. I have to wonder why he has such a problem with saying the pledge in Spanish? Where did he get that from? If he prays in Spanish (or any other language) is the prayer less sincere? is it not the meaning, beliefs and love behind the words no matter how well said and no matter what language is used what matters? Whether it is a prayer, the pledge or the National anthem..it's whether it is said, not how.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    The teacher is trying to make a politcal statement.:twocents:

There are tons of other choices they could recite.

Once again my :twocents: but my son would be out of that class.

GBultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    American has no national language. Be lucky your son is learning Spanish, he'll need it in the future.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I have to wonder why he has such a problem with saying the pledge in Spanish? Where did he get that from?

His opinion has no doubt been influenced by myself, other family members, and friends. We are firm believers that this is the United States of America. We are firm believers that to be a citizen, you should be required to speak english. We are firm believers that illegal immigration is a bad thing. We are firm believers that being patriotic is a good thing. We openly discuss these things with the younger members of the family. These young members belong to the NRA just as the adults do, and they have respect for the Flag and for our Country.

We're not racist, we're not discriminatory, we just have things that we believe in and believe that some of these things are a cause of concern for our Country, and this happens to be one of them. Yes, I've discussed this issue with some of them, just as I am here, to be sure I'm not over reacting.

Now, add all of that to his learnings from the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, where he's heard similar things from like minded leaders besides myself for several years, and it's become part of what he believes in.

If he prays in Spanish (or any other language) is the prayer less sincere? is it not the meaning, beliefs and love behind the words no matter how well said and no matter what language is used what matters? Whether it is a prayer, the pledge or the National anthem..it's whether it is said, not how.

In my opinion, it's not a matter of sincerity. It's that he believes that the Pledge of Allegiance represents the Flag of the United States, as does the National Anthem (he said it would be just as bad if they made him sing it in spanish), and as such he feels that it should be said in English. He did go on further and conceded that it should at least be his choice if he wants to speak it in a language other than English, and that the other students should be allowed to make their own decision. I don't have a problem with that, and as I've said, I'm very proud of his maturity on this issue. He seems to be handling this better than I am, and that's why I wanted to see how others felt and what they would do in the same situation.

I don't have a problem with him learning spanish. He's an American, and knows that a second language will be beneficial to him (he wants to be a cardiac surgeon). I'm proud of him that he feels strongly enough in his own mind to take a stand on this, and just want to be able to get some different views so that I can back him up the best way possible.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    His opinion has no doubt been influenced by myself, other family members, and friends. We are firm believers that this is the United States of America. We are firm believers that to be a citizen, you should be required to speak english. We are firm believers that illegal immigration is a bad thing. We are firm believers that being patriotic is a good thing. We openly discuss these things with the younger members of the family. These young members belong to the NRA just as the adults do, and they have respect for the Flag and for our Country.

We're not racist, we're not discriminatory, we just have things that we believe in and believe that some of these things are a cause of concern for our Country, and this happens to be one of them. Yes, I've discussed this issue with some of them, just as I am here, to be sure I'm not over reacting.

Now, add all of that to his learnings from the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, where he's heard similar things from like minded leaders besides myself for several years, and it's become part of what he believes in.

In my opinion, it's not a matter of sincerity. It's that he believes that the Pledge of Allegiance represents the Flag of the United States, as does the National Anthem (he said it would be just as bad if they made him sing it in spanish), and as such he feels that it should be said in English. He did go on further and conceded that it should at least be his choice if he wants to speak it in a language other than English, and that the other students should be allowed to make their own decision. I don't have a problem with that, and as I've said, I'm very proud of his maturity on this issue. He seems to be handling this better than I am, and that's why I wanted to see how others felt and what they would do in the same situation.

I don't have a problem with him learning spanish. He's an American, and knows that a second language will be beneficial to him (he wants to be a cardiac surgeon). I'm proud of him that he feels strongly enough in his own mind to take a stand on this, and just want to be able to get some different views so that I can back him up the best way possible.
    :+1:and repped

Top Bottom