• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I've done some searches and realized there isn't a thread where people discuss the specifics of what has and hasn't worked for them pocket carrying. Being new to pocket carry, I was trying to do a LOT of research on the topic but couldn't find much on it (besides use a holster), so I figured we need a thread for it. I know, we are going to give Kirk a heart attack....but this could be a very useful thread. So I guess I'll start.

I purchased an XDS specifically for pocket carry. I know, it is big, it is heavy, yada yada, but I am a sucker for .45's. There are specific instances where pocket carry is required for me if I want to carry. I've only been at this for a bit now, but have already run into some important tips:

1. Obviously, use a dang holster. This goes without saying.

2. With a heavy pocket gun like the XDS, a good belt is still required. If you are carrying extra magazines as well, it will get heavy. Yet it isn't too much for pocket carry if you have bigger pockets.

3. Pocket size is critical with a bigger gun like the XDS. Contrary to many posts on internet forums, the XDS is not too big for pocket carry, at least not for me. I am only 5'8" and weigh 175 lbs. I am not a big person and I tend to wear tighter fitting clothes. No, I can't carry it in my blue jean pockets. It will go in, but would be impossible to get out of the pocket. My slacks work wonderfully for this though, as do my khaki and cargo shorts. I do not prefer cargo pocket carry, even with specific holsters made for it.

4. Holsters:

I have tried the Recluse Cargo Pocket Holster and it just did not work for me. I couldn't get a good grip on the firearm when drawing due to the design of the holster. This holster does not move once in the cargo pocket though and the firearm always comes out cleanly without the holster.

I am now using a Desantis Superfly. After reading on the internet, I figured I wouldn't use the added flap that covers the firearm and attaches by Velcro, but I was wrong. I'm not sure if it is because the XDS is so heavy or what, but without the flap my firearm will almost always come out with the holster. There are times when the holster will catch on the corner of the pocket, but it isn't consistent. Put the flap on, and the holster stays in the pocket when drawing. This holster also works in a cargo pocket, if one is inclined to carry that way.

Please share your experiences so it is easier for those in the future to do some research and ask questions.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I use a Superfly with a Kahr PM9 much of the time. Works great with jeans. Not so much with dress pants since they often have smaller/tighter pockets. Does a very good job retaining the holster in the pocket during draws.

Sometimes carry a Recluse holster with a Ruger LCP. It is a different setup: single side leather for thinness and a plastic insert to lock the trigger in place. Works better with small pockets so it doesn't shift around. Takes some practice to get consistent with the draw. Watch out if you sweat much though as it can come through your pocket and potentially rust the firearm.

Both of these are good for hiding the firearm outline and protecting the trigger. I don't think any pocket holster is good for one-handed holstering.

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I've been doing pocket carry (at work only) for a little over a year. It's not my favorite way to carry, more born from a necessity kinda thing. While I don't believe it can be perfected, I think one can find what works for them and do just fine.

First was a new gun. I decided my S&W Shield was too big and started researching the different "pocket pistols" out there. Went to M&J Firearms and talked Martin's ear off for an hour or so and went with a Sig P290RS. I liked the features it came with for pocket carry, and it came with a flush and extended mag.

Next, I had to take care of a good holster. HPClayto, from the site had made me some great kydex before, so I started with him and what I thought I wanted. After some imput from his side, I decided on a pocket holster and an IWB for my new gun, letting me easily go back and forth with both types of carrying. I also had him make an inside the pocket mag carrier so I could swap between the standard and extended mag.

With new gun, holsters and mag carrier in hand, off I went to pocket carry. It took me about two hours before I knew my work clothes weren't up to the task. Carpenter jeans and a cheap leather belt was a big time no-go. Back to the interwebz and Ingo for some more research. I wound up choosing Duluth Firehose pants (big,deep pockets) and a couple of Bio Belts (brown and black) and my problem was solved.

Every morning, I leave the house in IWB, get to work and change holsters and mag to pocket carry, after work, back to IWB until bedtime. My ultimate goal was to carry all day, every day and I have been doing this for about a year. A pain in the ass? Yup. Wishing I hadn't left the house without my gun? Never.

This is just what works for me in my situation, your mileage may vary. The best advise I could offer someone would be, don't skimp on a good, SAFE holster and don't forget an extra mag. You'll figure out what clothes work or don't work real quick, adjust accordingly and you should be fine.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I pocket carry a Glock 43 with a Hyve +1 extension almost daily. I find it's just easier in the summer and for dress up situations. I use the Sticky Holsters brand and the model that's made for the G43. I can do it with jeans/shorts/slacks, etc. just fine.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I also carry an XDs, and while it generally rides OWB, I do occasionally pocket carry it. I use a Vedder pocket holster, which is simple and excellent.
    Pocket Locker - Vedder Holsters

Also, Duluth Trading Company pants are excellent for pocket carry, very tough and very comfortable. For pocket carry, I think good pants > good belt, though both together is best.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    ^^^ That is, if I'm not carrying my .25 ACP in my sweatpants with no safety or holster.

JFKF (just for Kirk Freeman?)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My pocket gun/BUG is a S&W 638-3 Airweight with a leather holster I bought from a guy in Tennessee that makes them and sells online.

Hubby carries a Beretta Nano in a leather blackhawk holster.

sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    LCP or P3AT in a Talon wallet holster. Rides in my back pocket better than my wallet, even when I have something else on my belt. At NRA show got the chance to meet one of the owners of Talon, I knew it was great product, now I know it is a great company too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I use a Superfly when I carry my Sig P938 in my pocket. One of the things that make a big difference for me is the type of pocket the pants have. I have some pants that have pockets that are way too small for pocket carry. Even if I fit the gun into the pocket, I could not get it out quickly. There are some cargo pants that are like that. There are also pants that have very shallow pockets that leave the butt of the pistol exposed.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I carry a ruger lcp in a desantis nemesis most days. Conceals very well. Had to rearrange the rest of my stuff to make that the only thing in that pocket.

Top Bottom