• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So because a citizen of Washington State, works for a company and may not be able to get back into the U.S. as fast as he/she usually does, this gives the State AG's standing? I am not a lawyer by any means but to me this seems as if it is a BIG stretch.
    oh it's a total farce. In my opinion judges have way too much power. We need to have congress vote to change it. Or hold them accountable when they rules based on personal beliefs. Like keagan and the other two women

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The president not only has the constitutionally granted authority for such an EO it is also backed up by congressional legislation. IMO that is the only issue that should be before the courts. If at all.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The judges in the present Ninth get Hawaii, AK and Nevada. And make it a true circuit. They get to travel from State to State every month to hear cases.

Form a new Circuit from the remainder with new appointees.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There was vetting before the EO; that vetting remains in place.

If someone joined the migrant stream, or more likely the refugee stream, from one of the seven countries after the TRO and managed to slip in (because POTUS is now forced to improve vetting on the fly) and stage an attack, I don't see how you could NOT blame these judges. People would be howling for their skins and I would wager impeachment would be the least of their problems.

There was vetting before the EO; that vetting remains in place. If someone gets through that system, it is that systems fault.

What is different about this "extreme" vetting that we're not already doing?

That's what I keep coming back to - this could easily be one big Trump distraction. He can change the vetting without an EO, specifically targeting those countries that are more likely to produce both terrorists and refugees.

He's making this harder than it needs to be. Why?

Imperial judges are arguably just as bad as an imperial presidency. "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown"

Perhaps some of the micrometrically precise measurements being made to attempt to ferret out the hypocrisy of those not leaping to criticize every awkward move by the Trump administration could be spared to examine the hypocrisy of those who have railed against activist judges - you know, except for the ones they agree with

The problem is, objectively, there's no indication these judges are acting subjectively. Sure, there's tons of confirmation bias, but so far the TRO has been held to be right. Even if SCOTUS removes it, there's still a good faith argument that it is unconstitutional. That's what will be litigated after the TRO.

"The law is reason, free from emotion." - Aristotle

There is. For a federal judge it is the same process to impeach a president - 'indicted' in the House, tried in the Senate

This remains a singularly bad idea, and more representative of groupthink than a republic. We want an independent judiciary.

Does Heller ring any bells for people?

So because a citizen of Washington State, works for a company and may not be able to get back into the U.S. as fast as he/she usually does, this gives the State AG's standing? I am not a lawyer by any means but to me this seems as if it is a BIG stretch.

This employment angle is just one part of the litigation, but it there's another dimension to it that is a bit further removed. The argument that the tech companies join in includes these points: if one of their employees is not allowed to enter when they have the right to do so, it deprives the employer the value of the work, which causes them harm; and, (this one is even more tenuous) the EO makes it more difficult to recruit the best employees for some positions, which causes them harm in the marketplace.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that these positions are "right" in any sense other than that they are legally available. There is a basis in the law for these arguments; they are not just "made up." They appear to contribute to a compelling case for a TRO in the 9th circuit.

The president not only has the constitutionally granted authority for such an EO it is also backed up by congressional legislation. IMO that is the only issue that should be before the courts. If at all.
    That isn't really the issue before the courts, because the consensus is that he does have the authority for the EO generally.

This is a bit nuanced, but the question is whether the EO was implemented in a constitutional way. As the courts have even commented, there is a way to do the EO that achieves most of what he wants, but he's not doing it that way. Instead, he's picking a fight.

He might win the fight - one way or another - but its not a fight that's really necessary, in a legal sense. In a personal sense, he may think it is very necessary.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I know three folks who disagree.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Here is a good, relatively readable, breakdown of the EO litigation by a basically objective site.

9th Circuit keeps Trump?s immigration order on hold - SCOTUSblog

Sure, objectivity is sometimes in the eye of the beholder, but SCOTUSblog has a variety of audiences. Mostly technophile appellate geeks.

ETA:

This is an interesting point that I'd overlooked.
    Notably, the panel gave no weight to the government’s argument that the White House counsel, Donald McGahn, had issued “authoritative guidance” indicating that lawful permanent residents would not be subject to the order’s restrictions. It explained that the government had not shown that McGahn actually had the authority to change the meaning of the order or that it would be binding on other officials outside the White House.

It is fine for the attorneys to say "the EO has been interpreted internally in a way that will be constitutional." But, the evidence they present should actually show that to be true. Sounds like they skipped a logical step in the chain of command.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Vetting system worked well for San Bernardino......

Besides everyone knows that if you make the vetting harder your are just a big racist poopiehead.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Vetting system worked well for San Bernardino......
    The vetting system for kids born in Chicago could certainly be better, but the pre-Trump vetting was not in place when he was allowed to be born.

If you're talking about the wife, she entered on a fiance visa from Pakistan. I'm not sure, but I don't think Pakistan is on the list.

So, Trump's EO would not have changed that at all.

Besides everyone knows that if you make the vetting harder your are just a big racist poopiehead.
    Vetting should be as hard as it needs to be.

(TWSS)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That doesn't make them necessarily right. TBD.

Fair point, but you'd think given the inherent flaws with Trump's EO, he would have corrected the problem once it was pointed out. He has, like T.Lex said, has had the opportunity to clear this fiasco up, from the very beginning. His ego seems to be playing heavily in this.... As always. Guess who is going to pay a nice chunk of change for this suit to go forward, because the president is unwilling to amend an EO?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The vetting system for kids born in Chicago could certainly be better, but the pre-Trump vetting was not in place when he was allowed to be born.

If you're talking about the wife, she entered on a fiance visa from Pakistan. I'm not sure, but I don't think Pakistan is on the list.

So, Trump's EO would not have changed that at all.

Vetting should be as hard as it needs to be.

(TWSS)

In reference to dumping the direct 90 day ban.
    New "better" vetting needs to happen.
    Lets say Trump comes up with a 10 point system where you have to get all 10 vetting requirements met or you don't get in. Done.
    Do you really think the people protesting about a 90 day hold are NOT going to call that horrifically burdensome?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Lets say Trump comes up with a 10 point system where you have to get all 10 vetting requirements met or you don't get in. Done.
    Do you really think the people protesting about a 90 day hold are NOT going to call that horrifically burdensome?

I think people would be up in arms......

....I mean if the first two requirements are not being a Muslim and having English as your native language, people are bound to get upset.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Why do you say this?

Do you know what the current vetting is? Has Trump explained what will be better about "neo maxi uber zoom vetting"?

No. He hasn't.

It appears to me that people believe there are problems with vetting because it was Obama's system and Trump's system will automagically be better.

That is more likely to be constitutional than the EO - either as written or as interpreted. Assuming the 10 vetting requirements are legitimate.

I'm pretty sure I've said - repeatedly - that there is a way to do this that would pass muster.

Don't know; don't care. I think the judges reviewing the matter would be less likely to consider it unconstitutional.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ..............Don't know; don't care. I think the judges reviewing the matter would be less likely to consider it unconstitutional.

That works until you get a judge basing a ruling on personal feelings, again, then this is all back out the window.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That works until you get a judge basing a ruling on personal feelings, again, then this is all back out the window.
    Ok, but that when did that happen? Robart, apparently, at least has a legally defensible position in his ruling.

Of note, the gov't hasn't established that permanent residents are excluded from the EO. That's probably the most significant hurdle IMHO.

Top Bottom