• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    In my experience, there are some very nice folks here. There are also some not nice at all folks. There is absolutely a clique here, and a high school feel of "needing to be liked by the cool guys". I thought the same thing when I first saw this thread, it doesn`t make someone new feel very welcomed, or even comfortable. So, go ahead, fire away at me. I can almost predict which it will be.
    Feel free to hop in anywhere. You most certainly will be welcomed with open arms.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Often those who come in *****ing don't last too long. They end up being their own undoing one way or another. Unless they make it to the classy's, never to be heard from again.:dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In my experience, there are some very nice folks here. There are also some not nice at all folks. There is absolutely a clique here, and a high school feel of "needing to be liked by the cool guys". I thought the same thing when I first saw this thread, it doesn`t make someone new feel very welcomed, or even comfortable. So, go ahead, fire away at me. I can almost predict which it will be.

I wish I could be one of the kewl guys.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    Ingo is a good firearms community and just like any social gathering, either online or in person, there's gonna be a tendency for people to gravitate towards like minded people or become buddies over a long enough timeline. It's human nature. I'm mostly a lurker because I don't have a ton of firearm knowledge but occasionally will chime in if I feel like there's something i can add. I like the 50 post rule and people who blast out posts just to get to the classifieds should be called out. I think it makes for a better forum. I like looking at the classifieds to see what people have or had in their collection. It's annoying to see someone post 10 ads in a row that you know is just out to make a quick buck.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Nice thread guys. Is this what INGO is all about? Just curious...

No, that's not what INGO is all about. You haven't seen what INGO is about, you haven't interacted with the forum enough to understand it yet. Sure, you've been a member for a couple of years, but have shown no interest or become involved in anything until you decided you had to have something in the classifieds. Your posts yesterday were technically within the rules (they weren't one liners) but they had no content. They were junk posts that were fired off as fast as you could just to make your numbers. You didn't bother to go back to any of those threads and respond to any comments that were made, as far as I could see you didn't even revisit them once you dropped your load and left.

Your posts met the LETTER of the rule but failed the SPIRIT of the rule. The reason for the 50 post rule is to help keep people from turning INGO into another armslist or craigslist. It's also to help other members get to know you a little so we can see if you are someone who we might want to do business with. Those 50 posts let us see a little of what you are about. The things you posted, the pace you posted them at (a post every minute or so), the complete randomness of the threads, all of it showed us NOTHING about you. What I saw from your activity is that you had NO interest in sharing anything of value with the forum and you were only doing it to access the classifieds, which you did the very minute you hit your 50 posts. Your intent was clear right from the word go. Many of us saw it. The classifieds are a perk for contributing members. That contribution comes in the form of becoming a site supporter or by contributing to the forum with activity. It's not a place to do business for free, although several wrongly do so with hundreds to thousands of posts per year.

You want to know what INGO is about? Spend some time here instead of using the site as a trading post. There are some really good people here, lots of knowledge, members that get together and meet up in person, members that have opened their homes & properties up to others for various get togethers, members that have donated time & money & property to others that were in need, businesses that have GIVEN items away during the holidays, the list goes on and on.

This isn't the first time this has been brought up, it certainly won't be the last. If you think this thread is inappropriate then you might want to ask why it's ran for over 8000 posts. This is part 2, the first one was closed after 5000.

Here's a thread you might want to read. It tells a bit about why the site is like it is.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/408311-info-new-guys-looking-ads-section.html

Also,

Just a little bit of information to anyone that's new and finds their way to this thread. You may wonder why all this talk and why are these rules are in place. As has been said many times and in many places, This is not Armslist, Gunbroker, Craigslist, or ARFCOM. INGO is more than just a forum, it's a community. Members here are protective of our community. There are lots of people here who have met or are friends outside of the website. When bad things happen we join in and help out. When good things happen we share that as well. I would take 5 friends here vs 1000 Facebook friends.

The other members will understand this better than the new ones will, but let me ask you a couple of questions anyway.

What does this stand for?
    x6bjo5.jpg

Who is this?
    dw74ap.jpg

Any clue at all? How was INGO involved?
    zwgmlw.jpg

These things, and so many others, are what make us a community. These things are what make us protective of it. You are welcome to join our community. However if your only reason for being here is because you saw something shiny in the classifieds that you must have right now, or you are here to try and fleece us with things you can't sell on Facebook anymore, then the teeth will come out. Instant gratification is not what this place is about.

The answers to the questions listed above are:

1. The blue light as an avatar is in remembrance of law enforcement officers who have been lost. INGO has quite a few officers among the membership from all over the state.

2. You need to visit these links to see what INGO members do for each other. It's things like this that make us a community.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/375132-please-add-my-daughter-prayer-list.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9-daughters-open-heart-surgery-2-24-15-a.html
    https://www.gofundme.com/n3fv6g
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...pm2-auction-100%-goes-baldguy637s-family.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...aldguy-fundraiser-ss109-m855-projectiles.html

3. Again, read the links and pay attention to the dates. On the second link you will notice that things were complete in 12 days.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...help-out-fellow-long-time-ingoer-sylvain.html
    https://www.youcaring.com/elizabeth-smith-431757

EDIT TO ADD MORE EXAMPLES: June 6th, 2016

Browsing new posts today I ran across another example of why INGO is a great place and why we are so protective of it. Here is a member that's giving away a youth rifle for a child to learn the shooting sports with. He's doing it for free and is not asking for anything in return. This is not the first time he's done this.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/415035-free-rifle-revisited.html

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

INGO is a large dysfunctional family.
    So, you're going to have all sorts.
    People you love. People you hate.
    People you agree with. Those you don't.
    Post useful information... need useful information.

List goes on.
    Often, people play many parts.

But, the perso that did create INGO, and those that assisted the running of INGO did NOT want an ARMSLIST.
    They wanted a discussion, or a community.
    The classifieds are just an add on FOR THE MEMBERS.

New people often miss that.
    Often we try to send helpful messages, either visitor or private. We hope these people learn the rules, and stay.
    Sometimes they do.
    Sometimes they tell us WE ned to change our rules to suit THEM.

This thread helps administrators. They can't be everywhere.
    Since INGO is such a big community, some posts in this thread may be overzealous.
    And we often disagree on new members.

I'm sure another group could be started. There are ALREADY other groups.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    No, that's no what INGO is all about. You haven't seen what INGO is about, you haven't interacted with the forum enough to understand it yet. Sure, you've been a member for a couple of years, but have shown no interest or become involved in anything until you decided you wanted had to have something in the classifieds. Your posts yesterday were technically within the rules (they weren't one liners) but they had no content. They were junk posts that were fired off as fast as you could just to make your numbers. You didn't bother to go back to any of those threads and respond to any comments that were made, as far as I could see you didn't even revisit them once you dropped you load and left.

Your posts met the LETTER of the rule but failed the SPIRIT of the rule. The reason for the 50 post rule is to help keep people from turning INGO into another armslist or craigslist. It's also to help other members get to know you a little so we can see if you are someone who we might want to do business with. Those 50 posts let us see a little of what you are about. The things you posted, the pace you posted them at (a post every minute or so), the complete randomness of the threads, all of it showed us NOTHING about you. What I saw from your activity is that you had NO interest in sharing anything of value with the forum and you were only doing it to access the classifieds, which you did the very minute you hit your 50 posts. Your intent was clear right from the word go. Many of us saw it. The classifieds are a perk for contributing members. That contribution comes in the form of becoming a site supporter or by contributing to the forum with activity. It's not a place to do business for free, although several wrongly do so with hundreds to thousands of posts per year.

You want to know what INGO is about? Spend some time here instead of using the site as a trading post. There are some really good people here, lots of knowledge, members that get together and meet up in person, members that have opened their homes & properties up to others for various get togethers, members that have donated time & money & property to others that were in need, businesses that have GIVEN items away during the holidays, the list goes on and on.

This isn't the first time this has been brought up, it certainly won't be the last. If you think this thread is inappropriate then you might want to ask why it's ran for over 8000 posts. This is part 2, the first one was closed after 5000.

Here's a thread you might want to read. It tells a bit about why the site is like it is.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/408311-info-new-guys-looking-ads-section.html

Also,

My thoughts and feelings, EXACTLY .....

This place, IS FAMILY .....

I have met many good people here .....

Broke bread with total strangers, and left feeling right at home .....

Shot other peoples guns, and let them shoot mine .....

This is my "only" place .....

I have visited 2 other sites, here in Indiana,

BUT THIS is "home", and always will be !!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom