• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I don’t know enough about EVs really to make a decision, but I do have a question about a potential situation.

I’ve read that charging rates at 110/120 volts is about 4 miles per hour, so probably not a realistic option.

But, say someone visits with an EV and needs some juice to get to a charger, are you going to let them plug into your home power supply? Two thoughts…

Yes, to get rid of them….

No, I don’t put gas in people’s cars who come to visit.

If the gas tank was empty, maybe I would, so maybe it’s really a scenario about poor planning?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don’t know enough about EVs really to make a decision, but I do have a question about a potential situation.

I’ve read that charging rates at 110/120 volts is about 4 miles per hour, so probably not a realistic option.

But, say someone visits with an EV and needs some juice to get to a charger, are you going to let them plug into your home power supply? Two thoughts…

If the gas tank was empty, maybe I would, so maybe it’s really a scenario about poor planning?
    Then there are those stealing electricity from business and private locations like it is not stealing. Local shopping center had a couple of cars that were plugging into their landscape outlets charging their car.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    View attachment 351238 $206.07 total travel cost. Epic trip to Boston and back.
    Looks like you saved about $80 or so total over a gas car that gets 25mpg, figuring 2000 mile round trip and $3.60 a gallon.

Not factoring in horrific EV depreciation and time wasted sitting at a charger.
    People value their time differently, so hard to factor that in, of course.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “When comparing how people use gasoline, hybrid, and electric vehicles, 3-year-old gas cars are driven 12,813 miles a year while EVs are driven 20 percent less, or 10,256 miles. Plug-in hybrids are driven 12,199 miles, or 4.8 percent less than gasoline cars, while standard hybrids are driven 12,471 miles, or 2.7 percent less than gasoline models.”

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    “When comparing how people use gasoline, hybrid, and electric vehicles, 3-year-old gas cars are driven 12,813 miles a year while EVs are driven 20 percent less, or 10,256 miles. Plug-in hybrids are driven 12,199 miles, or 4.8 percent less than gasoline cars, while standard hybrids are driven 12,471 miles, or 2.7 percent less than gasoline models.”

So EV’s definitely are suited for 15-minute cities.

:tinfoil:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So EV’s definitely are suited for 15-minute cities.

:tinfoil:
    Akshully...in 15 minute cities, the 15 minutes is the time it takes to WALK to whatever you need. You don't even need (or probably be allowed) to drive personal EVs there either...(unless you're wealthy and/or politically connected). ;)

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Looks like you saved about $80 or so total over a gas car that gets 25mpg, figuring 2000 mile round trip and $3.60 a gallon.

Not factoring in horrific EV depreciation and time wasted sitting at a charger.
    People value their time differently, so hard to factor that in, of course.
    Closer to $250 if Starting analytics from first charge away from home:
    IMG_4350.jpeg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I'm never considered the sponging aspect of that, but have encountered people who would visit just for free car fuel.

Top Bottom