• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    here's a question...when i made my pistol purchases i had to pass the criminal check which right there should be enough for also attaining a carry lic...if my record is fine and the gov't says its ok for me to own a firearm, why do i have to go back and go thru all the same red tape just to get a permit?...and i know they have their fingers on my spent round from the factory so there would be no problem identifying whos gun made the shot if needed in court...

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Because it's no longer a right, it's a tax paid so you can be licensed to do so. Government needs it's money.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can own a gun without getting through a background check at your FFL.
    You can get it as a gift or by it in a private sale.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    here's a question...when i made my pistol purchases i had to pass the criminal check which right there should be enough for also attaining a carry lic...if my record is fine and the gov't says its ok for me to own a firearm, why do i have to go back and go thru all the same red tape just to get a permit?...and i know they have their fingers on my spent round from the factory so there would be no problem identifying whos gun made the shot if needed in court...
    Because the purchase check is done for a transaction between the seller and you. The check by the authorities for a carry license is done by a gubmint agency. Also the fingerprints give a little better check of who is applying.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Spent round? Every pistol I've bought that had a spent casing, I still have. Other than that, yes, as others have said, the checks are for different purposes and you could buy a firearm private party and could also choose to keep it only at home. I don't think the redundant checks are a wholly bad thing. An infringement, certainly, but they've served our purposes quite well: They've proven us to be the good and lawful and peaceable people we know ourselves to be.

The law of unintended consequences sometimes works in our favor.

Blessings,
    Bill

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    checks done when buying = federal.
    checks done for license to carry = state.
    different scopes, authorities, requirements, and purposes.
    and "THEY" do not have the spent casing unless you are in a state that requires it for registration (NY or MD).

-rvb

Last edited:

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    here's a question...when i made my pistol purchases i had to pass the criminal check which right there should be enough for also attaining a carry lic...if my record is fine and the gov't says its ok for me to own a firearm, why do i have to go back and go thru all the same red tape just to get a permit?...

Because permits are issued at the state level, not the federal.

Strangely, you can 'pass' the NICS on your name and social security number... to get a carry permit, you have to add your fingerprints.

Things that make you go... huh?

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Also this brings up the point that you can get a permit to carry at the age of 18, however can't but a handgun/ammo in stores untill the age of 21..gotta love logic

Top Bottom