• ...and so much more!
  • billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What role, if any, do you think firearms will play in Japan, after the disaster that is ongoing now in that country??
    I realize that their culture is totally different, but I feel they will still have their share of looters after the smoke clears.
    What's your thoughts on this??..Bill.:dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What ruger said. Firearms are virtually nonexistent in Japan, outside of the armed forces and a very few Yakuza. As for looting, I wouldn't really count on it. There might be an instance or two, but the Japanese don't lack for shame, like most Americans. They're much more likely to be too busy helping each other to think about looting and criminality.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Yeah, I am pretty sure guns are illegal in Japan and have been since the end of WWII. Since it is a relatively small island I don't think it would have been hard to find them and get rid of them given how long they've been illegal....especially after we MELTED a large number of them with atom bombs. I could be wrong too though as I have been once before;)

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    As for looting, I wouldn't really count on it. There might be an instance or two, but the Japanese don't lack for shame, like most Americans. They're much more likely to be too busy helping each other to think about looting and criminality.

:rockwoot:You are spot on here. :rockwoot:

If only Americans could be so unselfish!:twocents:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Yeah, I am pretty sure guns are illegal in Japan and have been since the end of WWII. Since it is a relatively small island I don't think it would have been hard to find them and get rid of them given how long they've been illegal....especially after we MELTED a large number of them with atom bombs. I could be wrong too though as I have been once before;)

From what I have read, there are very few firearms in the hands of private citizens in Japan. If I'm not mistaken, about the only thing a private citizen in Japan might be able to own is a shotgun. They are very heavily regulated, though.

I believe there have been restrictions on firearms in Japan since the 1600's. It seems the reasoning behind this occurred during one of the many wars during the Shogun period. An army of peasants armed with matchlocks and trained in the European-style of fighting was able to defeat a Samurai army. The Shoguns didn't like the idea that mere peasants could defeat a highly trained Samurai. Plus, I have also read the Shoguns said that if peasants were armed, it would make it more difficult to collect taxes from them.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I lived in Japan for 10 years. No problem with firearms. It will probably go the same way it usually goes. Disaster, US offers help, Japan declines, Yakuza shows up with first relief supplies, blankets etc Making the Japanese government loose face.

chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    Not many guns there in civilian hands , but also not the kind of place where much looting would take place. Japan is actually a rather large country though the smaller islands might be a bit different.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I don't know about the guns, but I'll share my experiences in a very brief trip there in '98 to maybe help explain who they are.

The sign at the airport -- Welcome to Japan, Obey all the rules.

There was a story making the rounds about a tourist who left a camera on a park bench. Three hours later he returned and it was still there.

I had a gym bag with a lock on it. The company interpreter saw me opening the lock. "In Japan??!!??" she said.

The first or second day I was there, there was a story about a white collar crime that had been committed. While I was there, they caught the guy, brought him to trial, he was convicted and in prison before I left the country, all in under 3 weeks.

Yeah, a totally different culture.

mutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Spent a good chunk of time in japan in the early nineties

I would be stunned if we saw rioting or looting

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I don't know about the guns, but I'll share my experiences in a very brief trip there in '98 to maybe help explain who they are.

The sign at the airport -- Welcome to Japan, Obey all the rules.

There was a story making the rounds about a tourist who left a camera on a park bench. Three hours later he returned and it was still there.

I had a gym bag with a lock on it. The company interpreter saw me opening the lock. "In Japan??!!??" she said.

The first or second day I was there, there was a story about a white collar crime that had been committed. While I was there, they caught the guy, brought him to trial, he was convicted and in prison before I left the country, all in under 3 weeks.

Yeah, a totally different culture.

Very good post!:yesway:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Different culture or not, there are some constants ... human nature and the need to survive. There is no denying that the Japanese do things differently and have been raised differently. However, your spirit of self sacrifice would be put to the test when you are watching your own family suffer with starvation, thirst and disease. There are already reports of water hoarding.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    However, your spirit of self sacrifice would be put to the test when you are watching your own family suffer with starvation, thirst and disease. There are already reports of water hoarding

Were there riots during any other natural disaster in Japan? Riots during the bombing of WWII?

All human beings and all cultures are not the same.

Heck, Americans riot when their team wins a silly game. Japanese do not do so. It would be shameful, something Americans gave up looooong ago.

There will be no starvation, thirst and disease in Japan.

The quake that hit Japan was 1,000 times as powerful as the one that hit Haiti. The Japanese will recover 1,000 times more quickly than Haiti.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Different culture or not, there are some constants ... human nature and the need to survive. There is no denying that the Japanese do things differently and have been raised differently. However, your spirit of self sacrifice would be put to the test when you are watching your own family suffer with starvation, thirst and disease. There are already reports of water hoarding.

Well lets put it this way. This aint Japans first dance with disaster and I grantee you they will get through it with far more dignity than Americans did during the New Orleans Katrina flood.;)

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If only Americans could be so unselfish!:twocents:

We were once, but after taking the love for Jesus out of the classroom and replace it with the love of money, we reap what we sow.

I'm sure that in some corners of our country there are communities that who give everything they had for the neighbors.
    (I miss Mayberry, sittin on the porch drinking ice cold cherry COKE!.......)

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    We were once, but after taking the love for Jesus out of the classroom and replace it with the love of money, we reap what we sow.

I'm sure that in some corners of our country there are communities that who give everything they had for the neighbors.
    (I miss Mayberry, sittin on the porch drinking ice cold cherry COKE!.......)

Yes, too bad we can't force everyone to love Jesus in the classroom. That would fix everything.

Cause you know.....it doesn't matter what color you are, or where you are from. As long as we are all the same religion.

:rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    For those wanting to understand why there will be no rioting in Japan I would recommend Ruth Benedict's The Chrysanthemum and the Sword.

It helps explains the culture's behavior and the concept of haji (shame).

Feel free to PM me for others.

Top Bottom