The Star-Sprangled banner has landed across the big pond! 'merica!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I got some freedom in the mail today folks, in the form of a familiar looking cloth ... :rockwoot:

Huge thank you to the very generous Dirtebiker, who provided me with a beautiful 3 foot by 5 foot American flag! :patriot:
    Made in 'merica too!

Thank you Sir, it means a lot to me.

I don't have a way to have it fly permanently, or properly, yet so I just have it folded and displayed on a shelf for now.

18iwjt.jpg

I hope to have it fly in the near future and share some pictures with you all.

I also hope I folded it properly, it was my very first attempt at this.

Aren't you supposed to have one single star in the top corner, and three on the second row? :scratch:
    I might have to fold it again. :dunno:

35laom8.jpg

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Awesome Sylvain, great to see. God bless America. While some are sitting or kneeling during our national Anthem, others are proud to post a picture of the flag displayed on a shelf.

Thanks for sharing.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Awesome!
    Hoping to someday have you able to come over here for a while and hoist a beer with some INGoers.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My dad's flag is folded and displayed almost identically in the presentation display it rests in.

Thank you for the excitement you've shared in receiving and owning it. I only wish that more people on this side of the pond displayed the same sentiment.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Awesome!
    Hoping to someday have you able to come over here for a while and hoist a beer with some INGoers.

We could be accommodating and make it wine and stinky cheese.

Sylvain, Is that a "Learn French Fast" book right next to the Bible?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My dad's flag is folded and displayed almost identically in the presentation display it rests in.

Thank you for the excitement you've shared in receiving and owning it. I only wish that more people on this side of the pond displayed the same sentiment.

Many do.Have you seen the different threads I posted with WW2 vehicles and American flags everywhere?
    Especially over here in Normandy, where tens of thousands of American soldiers are burried, people respect that flag and what it stands for.
    Most municipalities display the US flag all year round on their beaches or at war memorials.

AE_La-Fi%C3%A8re_site.jpg

We could be accommodating and make it wine and stinky cheese.

Sylvain, Is that a "Learn French Fast" book right next to the Bible?

That's a book about architecture (in French), and an English dictionary next to it that you can barely see.
    I'm a French native speaker so I don't have books on learning French. :dunno:
    I keep some of my English books on that shelf, books about English grammar or French/English dictionaries, US and British books of fiction etc.

The Bible comes from Indiana too btw.Long story.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's a book about architecture (in French), and an English dictionary next to it that you can barely see.
    I keep some of my English books on that shelf, books about English grammar or French/English dictionaries, US and British books of fiction etc.

Sorry, I thought the purple was obvious. ;)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Many do.Have you seen the different threads I posted with WW2 vehicles and American flags everywhere?
    Especially over here in Normandy, where tens of thousands of American soldiers are burried, people respect that flag and what it stands for.
    Most municipalities display the US flag all year round on their beaches or at war memorials.

AE_La-Fi%C3%A8re_site.jpg

I eagerly watch for your photos and stories about the places you have the opportunity to visit. Just as the picture above, they all give me goose bumps. I would be honored to one day visit the places of honor where those that never came home lay but it doesn't look like it'll be in the near future.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Any flag experts out there?

I did some reading and apparently for a 3 by 5 flag you need a 15 foot flag pole, is that true? It seems really tall.
    Is that the standard size for a home flag?

What about those ceremonial flags? They have a much shorter pole, just enough to not let the flag touch the ground.

image.jpg

Not sure if they are also 3 by 5 or not.
    I guess it depends if it's inside or outside, obviously you're not going to have 15 foot pole in your living room.

I'm curious what kind of flag setup people have.
    I've seen smaller poles used and attached directly to the side of the house as well.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Typically for that size, we use a wall mounted pole about four feet long. The mount will have two positions, one at about a 45 degree angle and one that holds the flag at a 90 degree angle (considered half mast).
    if you want a regular upright pole, 15' is probably about right, but you could go a little shorter if you want.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

You mean that French kids don't have to take French class in school the way American kids have to take English class in school? :scratch:

Top Bottom