The stupid question of the night I got yesterday at work...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiana36Bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Boone/Tipp. Countys
    While working last night, I had that one stupid person, who Is a regular to the business as the question of.. "Why do you carry a gun?....I've never had a reason to carry a gun?"

This started with the fact I do a lot of activities at work and had a lot of people ordered food so I took my sweatshirt off because of heat and then he saw my sidearm, which for at the time was concealed but wasn't after the sweatshirt came off. Then the question came."Why do you carry a gun?"

The only response I had in a nice term was as I consider this person a business friend and the fact he knows I have guns. was: "Well I like guns, and I have a right too." then his response was.. "I've never had a reason to carry a gun?". So at this point I was annoyed and and busy so I responded with:

"Well what I want to know is why do I have fire extinguishers hanging on my walls, it's not for decorations."

He kinda understood at that point and we actually talked before he left and he wanted to know more about carrying. so I say it was a good night for some advocating of gun rights and the fact that I'm not afraid to defend the business.

Figure you all would like a story like this for some 2A rights.:patriot:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I actually love those questions, simply because they usually turn into teachable moments. I've found that most ask those questions out of curiosity and really not understanding the law. They may ask "why?", but they are really asking "how?". I think you did well considering you were irritated.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Carried something into the laundry for the missus one day and I was was walking out a lady asked her, "why does he needs to wear that firearm in here?" The missus said she was short of patience that day and before she could think about it fired of with... "Don't you watch the news? People are robbed and murdered everyday in everyplace you can think of at all times of the day!" The lady then admitted that several people had been robbed where she lives recently.

When she told me, I thought it was the perfect priceless answer from her. She does not carry and is not in any way a firearm enthusiast. I have only got her to shoot once in 13 years!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I had a lady in Starbucks recently tell me that police are not properly trained on how to shoot. She was of the opinion that if we encounter someone who needs to be shot, then we should shoot them in the leg and, if that doesn't work, shoot them in the balls.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had a lady in Starbucks recently tell me that police are not properly trained on how to shoot. She was of the opinion that if we encounter someone who needs to be shot, then we should shoot them in the leg and, if that doesn't work, shoot them in the balls.

You should have gotten her trainer's card. :laugh:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI

I thought proper procedure was to taze people in the balls....ya know, for fun.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana

My wife was asking similar. I asked her if someone is charging you and wants to kill you, do you want to try to shoot them in the leg or arm??? Or do you want to stop them right now??? Sometimes it takes an example so they understand.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I've never had a reason to USE a gun I carry, but I carry it anyway. I've never had a seat belt save my life in an accident, but I buckle-up anyway. The smoke detectors in my home have never saved me from a fire, but I change out the batteries every year. I could go on and on but I think the point is clear. We do many things as a precaution because the downside of NOT taking that precaution is so severe.

I'll bet your friend does all the other things I've listed above as well as a lot of others. He's just not fully considered the position he'd be in if he found himself in a situation where having and using a firearm would change the outcome for him or one of his loved ones in a life-or-death situation.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I warned you about watching.

When someone says that, I have to find out for myself. It's like the movie "Pink Flamingos." My mom said for years that it was just terrible, and never to watch it, but refused to elaborate. All I will say is, definitely don't watch that movie. Ever.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    When someone says that, I have to find out for myself. It's like the movie "Pink Flamingos." My mom said for years that it was just terrible, and never to watch it, but refused to elaborate. All I will say is, definitely don't watch that movie. Ever.

I almost threw up just reading the Wikipedia plot summary. I think I'll heed your advice and skip that one.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Please don't shoot me in the balls.

indiana36Bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Boone/Tipp. Countys
    I've never had a reason to USE a gun I carry, but I carry it anyway. I've never had a seat belt save my life in an accident, but I buckle-up anyway. The smoke detectors in my home have never saved me from a fire, but I change out the batteries every year. I could go on and on but I think the point is clear. We do many things as a precaution because the downside of NOT taking that precaution is so severe.

I'll bet your friend does all the other things I've listed above as well as a lot of others. He's just not fully considered the position he'd be in if he found himself in a situation where having and using a firearm would change the outcome for him or one of his loved ones in a life-or-death situation.

Exactly, and some people just don't understand that at all. Those their are all really good examples to use.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

You should always be thinking, "what would Beards McOperator do?" Let Beards be your polestar and you will go far.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'm not sure it's' necessarily a 'stupid' question. I think, in a lot of cases, people are truly not aware of the world around them, and don't want to be. They're wrapped up in their own lives, preferring and choosing to live 'with the blinders on'. "I can't see it, so it doesn't exist" is the mantra they live by.

I know lots of people who are entirely unaware of the murderous incident at a theater in Aurora, Colorado, or Newtown, CT. Know a lot of people who are unaware of shooting incidents at some places they even frequent.

Even had one person I know say to me, "I don't even want to know about those incidents. If I think about them, I'd never go to that mall, or anywhere". Uh... hunh??? :scratch: As I said, their view is that those incidents never happened, because if they had, this person would be afraid to go to the very places at which the incidents occurred.

That appears to be the way MOST people, including most people 'you' encounter on a daily basis, choose to go through life.

Personally, I prefer to quote Kirk, "It's not the odds, it's the stakes".

Top Bottom