• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IIRC there was a company just a couple years ago selling the bottle adapters. They were transferable on a Form4. Surely someone with good Google-fu can come up with a link.
    Ah... after a brief google search it turns out I was slightly mistaken. These were produced a long time ago (couldn't find an exact date) and ATF did come down hard on the manufacturer, but not for the reason I thought. They were made by SWD (Wayne Daniels) and ATF came down on him because they classified them as silencer parts and he wasn't registering them.

Sorry for the misinformation guys...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Ah... after a brief google search it turns out I was slightly mistaken. These were produced a long time ago (couldn't find an exact date) and ATF did come down hard on the manufacturer, but not for the reason I thought. They were made by SWD (Wayne Daniels) and ATF came down on him because they classified them as silencer parts and he wasn't registering them.

Sorry for the misinformation guys...

if thats the case why dosent somebody do this the legal way and register the adapter? how about a .5x28 to a 2 ltr or 16 oz bottle conversion:dunno:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    if thats the case why dosent somebody do this the legal way and register the adapter? how about a .5x28 to a 2 ltr or 16 oz bottle conversion:dunno:
    Uh, I believe that's what the maker in the video is doing. currahee said he looked into getting some of them but they were minimum purchase of 20 or 50 (can't recall which he said).

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Uh, I believe that's what the maker in the video is doing. currahee said he looked into getting some of them but they were minimum purchase of 20 or 50 (can't recall which he said).

hes converting .5x28 to a oil filter thread idk what that pitch is, but 2 ltr and 16 oz bottles have a different thread pitch, and since 2 ltr bottles are cheaper than oil filters in the long run it would be even a poorer mans supressor

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    hes converting .5x28 to a oil filter thread idk what that pitch is, but 2 ltr and 16 oz bottles have a different thread pitch, and since 2 ltr bottles are cheaper than oil filters in the long run it would be even a poorer mans supressor
    Have you ever heard a 2L bottle suppressor? You may as well just save your money... If you're too poor to buy oil filters to use then you're too poor to pay for the adapter and the tax stamp that goes with it.;)

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I saw a guy in a movie once use a potato.....how would one put a serial number on a potato.....SHARPIE?

Potato peeler....?

I like how with a silencer you here the shot, silence then the target smack. Its very interesting and I wonder how many shots an oil filter is good for too.

The smaller filter used on garden tractors, mowers would be cool.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    No reason you couldn't make your own adapter so your just down to the cost of some scrap metal and the $200 tax to our favorite uncle.

I'm thinking about buying my first suppressed 22lr rifle. If I do, I'm going to start with one of these cheaper oil filter suppressors before spending the big money on regular suppressor. I keep thinking about this thread and wondering about the legalities of making my own adapter, but every time I look for a clever way to make one of these adapters it never works out. Do you know how to make one of these adapters?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    A "big money regular suppressor" for a .22 costs like $200. IMHO you'd be wasting your time starting out with a oil can suppressor. I believe you'd get much more use and enjoyment out of an actual suppressor. :twocents:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I thought the cheapo cans were in the $200 range and the better quality ones were like $400 or more. That's why I was thinking the $50 part and $10 filter would be a sweet way to start out.

For the sake of keeping myself out of jail I'm not going to try any thread conversions until I have the proper paperwork and everything done, but it's just really bugging me that I can find the right parts to make the thread conversion on my own. I don't like to be unable to put parts together on my own.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Good, effective .22 cans will cost you about $200. Robust, pretty cans from top manufacturers can run you $400 or more. Considering that you'd still have to pay the $200 tax regardless of the can (or filter adapter) that $200 price tag for the can itself doesn't seem much of a stretch.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Not the Gemtech. You can get into a Tactical Innovations TAC65 or a Thompson Machine Zephyr for that $200 price range. Either of those would be great cans.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well that makes part a lot simpler. Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out how they make that stupid thread adapter part for my own curiousity, not use. It shouldn't be that hard, but I've never messed around with piping before.

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    yes, I'm bumping an old thread. I just saw this on youtube, did an INGO search and saw a thread already exists.

My question. If the supressor is oficially the thread adapter what says you have to use an oil can as the actual noise dampening part of the supressor. Does the econo-can open up the opportunity to make a supressor out of anything that has a thread pitch suitable to be attached to it? Isn't this a legal way to basically experiment, and make all kinds of devices to supress your gun as long as what you are making is designed to be attached to the econo-can?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    yes, I'm bumping an old thread. I just saw this on youtube, did an INGO search and saw a thread already exists.

My question. If the supressor is oficially the thread adapter what says you have to use an oil can as the actual noise dampening part of the supressor. Does the econo-can open up the opportunity to make a supressor out of anything that has a thread pitch suitable to be attached to it? Isn't this a legal way to basically experiment, and make all kinds of devices to supress your gun as long as what you are making is designed to be attached to the econo-can?

My guess is that the original tech letter making the "adapter" the supressor also stipulated that it could only be used with a oil filter as shown. If you starting making things to attach to the suppressor they will call them suppressor parts and say that you have to either be a NFA manufacturer or pay a $200 tax per part and serial number each part.

I have never seen the tech letter, but that is my guess. AMAFrank would be a good one to answer this since he is one of the most respected NFA manufacturers in the US.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin

I had the same thought!

Top Bottom