• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    My immediate family and my brother and to a lesser extent my cousin and his wife have been prepping for a few years now. If it were just us needing to bug in we would be set for many years. The problem is that I have a large family and no matter how hard I try to make myself, I kno there is no way I would turn them away. So thrn ny preps for a group of four for three years + turns into mere months with all the people that I know would show up. So I think I have the food problem worked out (more on that later), but this thread is to discuss what is the best route to arm a large group of people with little to no firearm experience the cheapest way possible with the most effective weapons.

A crate full of mosins and a few spam cans of ammo? A couple less cheaper modern rifles like savage axis or equivalent in a modern caliber that is more expensive to stock? 12 or 20 ga shotguns due to versatility and ammo availability? A couple cheaper ARs and make them share when on patrol?

If it helps the ammo we already stockpile is .22lr, 9mm, .40, 7.62x39, .223, and 7.62x51.

Thanks for your time.

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    im kinda in the same boat... And thats what im tryin to do as we speak...i think everyone in my family will end up with a firearm and a crate of mosins and a couple thousand rounds or so of ammo is still kinda cheap.. right now we have lil .22 and some 9mm mostly shotgun supplies... good luck hope ya the best. and bein a county away we might run into each other sometime.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Ive been thinking the same thing and the caliber i seem to come back to is 5.45x39. You can either build ak or ar rifles in this and 1050 rounds is 180 not to mention the surplus stuff is AP.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    IMHO... Unfortunately, this is where you need to develop thick skin & draw the line to a point that you are willing to tolerate. At the risk of sounding extremist, I have prepped for over a decade. During that time, I have tried to educate family/friends enough to persuade them of the importance of it. I would rather be prepared and not need it, than to need it and be unprepared, should the proverbial :poop: fly.
    Consequently, some friends/family have been prepping, where others have not. I have politely informed those "have nots" that as much as I love and care about them... If you come knocking on my door, at such time, you WILL be sent away. NOW, if for some reason I should decide otherwise (based upon skills you posses, medical/health needs, etc), You will then be enlisted in the "Butter-knife Brigade". This means, I will not supply you with a firearm, but I will give you the tools (knife, bat, club) and training that will enable you to go and find your own firearm (or be on your way... your choice).
    I have not spent years of my hard earned money, time, and effort to be a charity to those who rejected my advice. I may or may not help you, but I must remain firm in my conviction. You may call me cruel & become my enemy. Or you may become my brother in arms. This is how I have decided to address the situation, once & IF it ever arises.

And YES. that is my FINAL decision.
    In no way is this intend to offend anyone... Its just the way it is.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ruger 10/22's Complete parts interchangability, SUPER easy and cheap to stockpile LOTS of ammo, and if you get enough people fireing rapidly w/ .22's aint nobody going to **** w/ you.

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    just done a lil research and found the place that sells 20 mosins for 3k.. not too bad of a deal.. $210 for 880 rnds...

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Now metal i have a problem with that. SAy one of those people you sent out to look for a gun knocked off someone else of a very superior armed prepper group and then that said group comes a lookin for the killer.... Youmight be in for one heck of a gun fight. Now i share some of your feelings and disagree. I am 27 and just started my prepping with canning. Im building cheap ar15s and looking into the 5.45x39. A poly lower will all the parts is 80-100$. 5.45 barrel basic iron sights and mags at 12-14 a pop with ammo at 180$ for 1050 is very good. 10k rounds and 7 rifles is a great base

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Now metal i have a problem with that. SAy one of those people you sent out to look for a gun knocked off someone else of a very superior armed prepper group and then that said group comes a lookin for the killer.... Youmight be in for one heck of a gun fight. Now i share some of your feelings and disagree. I am 27 and just started my prepping with canning. Im building cheap ar15s and looking into the 5.45x39. A poly lower will all the parts is 80-100$. 5.45 barrel basic iron sights and mags at 12-14 a pop with ammo at 180$ for 1050 is very good. 10k rounds and 7 rifles is a great base

Trust me Silentvoice, I have thought about & prayed over this for many years. I share your sentiment. And this is where the "training" falls into play. I would not send a person out with any weapon, without proper training first. This includes recognizing the threat or enemy. I understand that with many people, this is a fine line. My intention is not to start a heated debate. Merely to express an opinion.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Metal im not arguing either just throwin in my side. Its just one of those thing/situations that i wouldnt want any enemies but rather as many friends as possible that way when a community can form we can all count on and trust one another. If your a reading kind of guy and i know your a prepper read a book called Patriots. Its a fantastic book that hits on what you and i are talkin about. My concern is like i said say your person sets out to find a gun....and maybe kills my wife or daughter for theirs to think i would stand idle by would be poor judgement but say our groups were friends and i had arms and ammo to spare we could barter or i could just give it to ya. Read that book i did and it changed my prepping style and outlook. Im not arguing metal just sharing info amongst us. Infact keep in contact id like to keep talkin to ya.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Thanks for all the replies. Lots of ideas to think about. I am kinda liking the idea of el cheapo ARs in 5.45x39. I already have a Sub2k and if I could find them anywhere close to the $300 I paid for mine new that would definately be an option. How cheap could I build an AR in that russian round and it still be a reliable firearm to hand out? What mags do they take? I wish you could still buy SKSs for around $200 since I already have a good stash of 7.62x39. But sadly those days are long gone. Any othrr ideas? Something else I may have overlooked?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you want to to run cheap commie ammo reliably run it in a commie gun.

If you want to come and stay with us you better be bringing something to the table. I am not arming and feeding an army.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If these people do not have the mindset to prepare, they probably will not have the mindset to survive. That is not the team I want.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Ar wise look around there are cheap around 400 for an upper to 680 for a spikes that has melonite on everything. Ak 74s are good but mags are so darn expensive. Lol warlord huh sailor nice.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    First of all its not a 'team', its my family. And I dont want to be standing before God on my judgement day trying to explain why I refused to help my own flesh and blood and instead leavingt then to fend for themselves. I couldn't eveb fathom my sister and her two kids showing up to my property and me turning them away. How would I be able to live with myself if 20 miles down the road on tbe way to the FEMA camp they were raped and murdered? The idea of turning away family makes me sick to my stomach. Its an argument like this that forced me to quit the MSG I was a part of.

The thought behind this thread is to get ideas on what way to best arm my unprepared family members in the event of a SHTF situation. NOT to question my decision to not turn them away. And of course I dont expect to give them rifles and expect us to instantly become the 10th mtn division. Its just a few extra rifles never hurt in a firefight .

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I'd say buy as many Mosins and ammo cans as you can. I mean, think about it, the Soviets was able to train uneducated peasants to operate it and win a war. Your family should be trainable.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    First of all its not a 'team', its my family. And I dont want to be standing before God on my judgement day trying to explain why I refused to help my own flesh and blood and instead leavingt then to fend for themselves..

There are passages in the book about " not sowing seeds in stony soil " and " not casting your pearls to the dogs " .

So with that in mind I agree with metal on the issue , I've got family I've tried to talk to for years now , who agree that things are looking bad and they still refuse to help them selves . From me , they've gotten all the help I will give them .

If you have the grace and resources to provide for them then good on ya man .

To your point , I'd stick with a caliber that is very common , not imported . If I were going to give out weapons they'd probably be in the 12 gauge or . 22 flavors .

Ammo and parts for both are extremely available in this country , both are very easy to use and neither take too many brain cells to operate or clean effectively .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The biggest issue is the lack of training you speak of. I am not getting shot in the back (or the front/side) by an un-trained idiot. Nor do I want holes in the house/vehicles. I have trained all who would be coming and pre-accepted. A few well armed/trained individuals can do quite a lot. If you intend to arm anyone for any reason it is best for you and yours to train them. If they do not have the time.....read on.
    As my family is older and many have passed on the herd has been thinned to a point we can deal with. That is again, those I would let in. As to the others....at risk of sounding callous, well, the newest and greatest smart phone is far more important than being prepared at even the lowest level. They know if the "POOP" flys they will have to eat the phones. I have enough to take care of.

I wish you all the luck in this and good on you for caring.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I understand both sides of the debate. I don't think I could turn away family members either. that being said, try to stock some .22, and a few single shot shotguns. 12 & 20 ga. both weapons are somewhat easy to train someone with, and ammo is relatively easy to find.with our limited income, we haven't been able to do this ourselves, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Top Bottom