The verbiage "My military" being spoken by the President: Does this bother you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe I'm arguing semantics here, but for the second time now, the President has called the US military "my military", referring to himself.

Whose military is it anyway? President Obama claims it for himself ? again ? at G20 summit | Twitchy

http://twitchy.com/2013/08/30/whose-army-president-obama-riles-with-reference-to-my-military/

Obviously, it's not, and we know this... but those of you that have served in the past, or plan to serve, or know those who have served... Does this word choice bother you? I'm sure he has aspiritions of a palace guard, but that's not what our military is.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I think it exposes his true arrogance. However, as commander in chief, it is his decision to move armies, so I can see him internalizing that and feeling it personally.

And actually that is the problem with any military engagement, no matter how small. Once we get involved it becomes even more personal. Such that even if the enemy snubs their nose at us, he will feel compelled to teach them a lesson. It becomes a back and forth battle of egos, and that is what most wars really are--two men refusing to back down, and digging in more.

Because of BHO's arrogance, I'm afraid to see wbat will happen once this man starts a war...

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    Yes, it bothers me. It should be understood that there are certain personnel that the POTUS can claim as "his", much like a CEO can say that the secretary is "his" secretary". There are positions in the White house that are specifically for the white house military advisors. But the military is for the nation and the constitution of the U.S. Between the military and the CIC, there is an understanding that the military will obey the lawful orders that are handed to them without question. But it does seem quite disrespectful for him to use that kind of verbage. I think it would have been better for him to specify who he had investigate, ie- "My military intelegence analyst", etc. Or he could have refered to them as "our military". Just my thoughts.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    This guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    He couldn't start a dog fight at a pit bull convention.

Unfortunately, he is the campaigner in chief and has the bully pulpit.

We should all be offended at his chosen words.

Last edited:

murmur70

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Bedford
    I hate to defend Obama(I will try not to let it happen again),but he is the Commander in Chief(if only in title), so that doesn't bother me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe I'm arguing semantics here, but for the second time now, the President has called the US military "my military", referring to himself.

Whose military is it anyway? President Obama claims it for himself ? again ? at G20 summit | Twitchy

Whose army? President Obama riles with reference to ?my military? | Twitchy

Obviously, it's not, and we know this... but those of you that have served in the past, or plan to serve, or know those who have served... Does this word choice bother you? I'm sure he has aspiritions of a palace guard, but that's not what our military is.

Didn't he say during the campaign that we're all in this together?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    The General Discussion area is becoming like a knitting circle.... "Oh boo hoo... the President said 'my military'... I can't believe the nerve of this guy. Who does he think he is wearing that red tie and with those brown shoes?"

Many things in this country and from this administration bother me... this doesn't rank very high

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It doesn't bother me to hear a military commander or leader use "My" in a tone of being responsible. I don't care to hear a civilian use the term in any way, regardless of political affiliation, because it sounds like ownership to me.

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    i have to agree w/ que. His using the term "my" takes ownership of the responsibility of ownership of deployment, engagement and implementation of strategic missions. With that though, I hope that he is actually seeing this as he owns this, as those stated that Bush "owned" the economy under his term.

that is all in theory, though, because i don't think he feels ownership of this particular mission set. that is why is he deferring to congress for authorization, either way he wins with whatever decision they make ... it's the fault of repub's if the resolution comes back to the negative, and rejoice in his victory if it comes back in the affirmative.

M&P 9 Shootist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Taylorsville
    I'm starting to think he is Apple's newest project. IPresident! Every other word out of his mouth is I, I, I...I am not responsible for that, I had know idea, I would have handled it differently, I didn't draw a red line in the sand, I am not to blame, I will use my executive powers to take away the 2nd amendment rights of my citizens, and I think I will go golfing as soon as I get back from my vacation.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    The General Discussion area is becoming like a knitting circle.... "Oh boo hoo... the President said 'my military'... I can't believe the nerve of this guy. Who does he think he is wearing that red tie and with those brown shoes?"

Many things in this country and from this administration bother me... this doesn't rank very high

Okay......im gonna say it. Its not HIS MILITARY, its the United States military. Meaning it belongs to the people! It does bother me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It bothers me about as much as a paint chip on a boat that's on fire. If you're concentrating on the paint chip, you're kinda missing the bigger picture.

Arrogance, of course, who runs for POTUS and isn't arrogant? I'm thinking "leader of the free world" isn't a title that shy folks with an inferiority complex aspire to. Some just have better speech writers and/or hide their craziness a bit better.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It bothers me about as much as a paint chip on a boat that's on fire. If you're concentrating on the paint chip, you're kinda missing the bigger picture.

Arrogance, of course, who runs for POTUS and isn't arrogant? I'm thinking "leader of the free world" isn't a title that shy folks with an inferiority complex aspire to. Some just have better speech writers and/or hide their craziness a bit better.

/thread

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    over the years ive learned a lot of things about leadership as it regards to business. specifically, what separates a 'boss' from a 'leader'

a boss drives business from behind, throws people under the bus, always looks to place blame, protects himself, and looks down on his subordinates. he also often uses the term 'my'. 'this is my business, this is my operation, etc.' these people are usually pretty ego driven, and always terrified of the delicate balance that can make the wheels fall off.. if it weren't for the subordinates to blame he'd be sunk.

a leader, pulls business forward from the front. doesn't place blame only looks to solve problems, is fearless, supportive, and respectful, treats everyone as his equal, and throws himself on the fire when needed. he will often use the term 'we' or 'our' as his business is all inclusive, and recognizes that every cog in the machine is 'we', and that the success of everything is built on 'we'.

THAT is why it matters.

Top Bottom