• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Indeed I did! O-1, 5/32" thick at the spine, scandi grind. This will be my first knife made from O-1 and I'm looking forward to it!

You might have the next size up from his, then. His measures 1/8" at the spine. I hadn't sharpened an actual Scandi grind before. The one I made had a convex microbevel. It definitely requires some patience, as you are removing a ton of metal.

O-1 is really popular in the knife world, and a lot of nice knives are made with it. My dad was a tool and die maker, and always kind of looks down on O-1 as a pretty vanilla tool steel. I'm working on a giant sheepsfoot in O-1 right now for a friend, and it is quite nice to work with. It should be a nice upgrade from 1095.

Anyway, I've always like BHK. They're genuinely nice folks, have one of my favorite booths at the 1500, and make some really nice knives. Their simple designs speak to me. I think you'll be quite pleased with your knife.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You might have the next size up from his, then. His measures 1/8" at the spine. I hadn't sharpened an actual Scandi grind before. The one I made had a convex microbevel. It definitely requires some patience, as you are removing a ton of metal.

O-1 is really popular in the knife world, and a lot of nice knives are made with it. My dad was a tool and die maker, and always kind of looks down on O-1 as a pretty vanilla tool steel. I'm working on a giant sheepsfoot in O-1 right now for a friend, and it is quite nice to work with. It should be a nice upgrade from 1095.

Anyway, I've always like BHK. They're genuinely nice folks, have one of my favorite booths at the 1500, and make some really nice knives. Their simple designs speak to me. I think you'll be quite pleased with your knife.

I'm looking forward to it!

Typically I like thinner (1/8" at the spine), and at this point I don't recall why I chose the exact model I chose. I know I liked the handle quite a bit. And if I don't like it (unlikely), I suspect I won't have too much trouble finding it a new home.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You do realize, that blood is a base, but slightly acidic? O-1, is not a stainless! Therefor, clean it as soon as it takes your blood!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've had it in my possession for almost three days now and I have yet to cut myself with it. That has to be some kind of personal record.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    No, too much time at my two jobs. When I get home, I'm too tired to do much else. Maybe this weekend!

I hear that. I need to go hit the grinder right now, but I'm tired, still a bit sick, and my garage has no heat. So here I am on my couch on INGO instead of making blades, two of which folks have promised to pay for.

My buddy just skinned a couple of squirrels with his BHK, which is the smaller version of yours, and he said it did quite nicely.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hear that. I need to go hit the grinder right now, but I'm tired, still a bit sick, and my garage has no heat. So here I am on my couch on INGO instead of making blades, two of which folks have promised to pay for.

My buddy just skinned a couple of squirrels with his BHK, which is the smaller version of yours, and he said it did quite nicely.

I'm waiting for my daily backups to finish . . . then I'm offline and on my way home.

The Smoky Mountain Razor is supposed to be 5/32" thick at the spine, but my naked eyeball thinks it looks closer to 3/16". I'd rather have 1/8", but the models they make from stock that thin are limited. Maybe I'll order a "custom" like mine, but made from 1/8" O-1.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm waiting for my daily backups to finish . . . then I'm offline and on my way home.

The Smoky Mountain Razor is supposed to be 5/32" thick at the spine, but my naked eyeball thinks it looks closer to 3/16". I'd rather have 1/8", but the models they make from stock that thin are limited. Maybe I'll order a "custom" like mine, but made from 1/8" O-1.

5/32" looks really thick when you're used to 1/8". I have some 5/32" O-1 in the shop, and I must have measured it 2 or 3 times thinking it must be 3/16".

Top Bottom