• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I just had the idea to start this thread out of the blues. Firearms sometimes hurt people besides being struck by a bullet. Walther PPK'S have given people slide bite, revolvers have burned people because of the cylinder gap, M1 Garands have given people Garand thumb, and hot brass has probably landed on most of us. Besides being struck by hot brass the only other thing that has happened was unintentionally letting the Web of my hand stay in a pistol slide while hitting the slide release. I was more surprised than anything, did bleed a good amount. What has happened to some other ingoers?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    After hearing all the back stories about the few guns my dad owns that used to be his brothers or fathers I placed a significant amount of sentimental importance upon them. Then one day my father brought them out and revealed a container of poorly cared for rusting firearms! I was hurt. I told myself it was the last time I let a gun hurt me like that.
    My personal guns consider me a little closed off and distant but they just don't understand what I've been through.

True story but I added the soap opera drama for comedic sake. :-)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Besides the beatings I endure after every purchase, Garand Thumb, Hi-Power Hand. Oh I forgot about the temporary paralysis from a 250 round shotgun class half slugs, half buckshot!

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Reloading magazines below freezing and sliced my thumb open of the feed lips. My thumb was so cold that I had no clue how many rounds (or magazines for that matter) I had loaded into the BX-25 mag. before I actually saw the blood. Bit off some of excess-hanging skin, grabbed a paper towel and wrapped my thumb, and went back to shooting. Boy, when I was driving home from the range and thawed out, the thumb started thumping.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    35 years ago or so I got a case of scope kiss. It was the first time I ever shot a 12 gauge, or for that matter any gun, with a scope. I wish someone would have warned me about that just like I wish someone would have warned me that 35 years later I would have to worry about sitting on my own testicles when I slide into a booth at a restaurant. I know...TMI

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Guess I forgot.
    1981 I believe, could have been '82, my first season deer hunting in Indiana, or anywhere for that matter.
    I took a shot at a 9 point buck that was somewhat ill-advised, and I wouldn't do it again.

Sitting 15' up in a tree stand, I was surprised by a herd of deer. They came out of the brush about 10 yards to my left and completely silent.
    I was not ready. My Mossberg 500 (could only use shotgun then, and only take a buck. No does) was laying across my lap.
    At least a dozen doe came into view first, being pushed by the buck.

I was in plain sight, though 15' up. Worried that my movement would be detected, I began raising my shotgun at a snails pace.
    By the time I had a sight picture the buck was directly beneath my stand, not 5' in front of it.
    My slug hit him in the spine and lodged in his left shoulder.
    He dropped like a rock, straight down to his knees, then layed over on his side.
    He didn't take a single step after the slug hit.

Since does were out, I sat there for a few seconds as they scattered in different directions. I ws amazed that they didn't seem to know what had happened.

I just about had a heart attack dragging that buck to my truck before field dressing it. I told you it was my first deer. I was overwhelmed with excitement and not thinking straight...

When I finally got home and started cleaning myself up, I took of my undershirt to find a VERY black and blue bruise in the middle of my bicep.
    I did not get the butt of the shotgun up into my shoulder before the shot.

Big lesson re-learned.
    Didn't really hurt until the next day, after the adrennelin wore off.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Didn't happen to me personally, but I was a witness. At the time I was 21 and a older friend just bought a glock 27. We went to his farm to shoot, and after a couple hours of hanging out slinging lead he thought he'd try to "look cool" and show off with his new gun. He held it sideways like the "gangsters" do, pulled the trigger, and instantly blood started gushing from his hands. His thumb was resting on the slide and gave him a good sized gash. That was the last time I shot with him, but i still see him and remind him of his stupidity.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    M249 SAW cooked off a round just as I was pulling the charging handle back to perform immediate action. Little tiny pieces of brass would intermittently work their way out of my face for years afterwards.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The one time I shot expert qualifying on M16 (2000-ish) the two-striper next to me got three pieces of brass down my shirt. I got 37 of 40 on the targets that day (3 misses were the 300 meter silhouettes). The kid next to me who got three down my shirt shot a 12.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    PPK slide bite, check.
    Revolver knuckle, check.
    Firing a .357 magnum without ear protection, check. (I always physically touch my eye and ear pro before beginning at the range now because of that)

The *stupidest* and most painful thing I ever did was scope bite, though. The first non-rimfire scoped gun I ever had was a 12g slug gun. I didn't think of the recoil when I set it up. Yeah. That was roughly 16 years ago, and it's a lesson that's really stuck with me.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Sighting in my Weatherby Mark V, I ended up shooting 30 rounds. Got home and my shoulder was black and blue. Did I mention it was a 300 WBY Mag? Kicked like a mule but was so fun to shoot! Paid the price for about a week afterwards.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Back when I had long hair my Pa and I were doing two man drives at Pidgeon River for deer. A big doe jumped up and I threw up my rifle and dropped her. Caught my hair and pulled out a plug the size of a quarter with the recoil. Wowsers that hurt.

And the Mob Rules brought back some memories of about the same time period. Got it on cassette. Gonna go dig it out.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Take your pick.
    Sitting in the driver's seat of a M60 during 50 cal firing, hatch open (stupid on my part), got a piece of hot, hot, HOT brass down my collar. Second degree burn on side of neck and still have a scar.
    Fellow troop removed backplate from M85 with the bolt locked to rear. SPROOIINNNGGGG Hit me in the hand and cracked a finger bone.
    I used to shoot a lot of Mosins with heavy ball ammo. More black and blue (and green and yellow) shoulders than I care to think about.
    Friend had a lightweight 416 Rem mag built for an Alaskan hunt. One shot was enough for me. Took a week before I could lift my elbow above my shoulder.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Worst I have done is take a chunk out of my palm reassembling my son's Savage 22 auto decades ago. I managed to get through the military with no significant firearms related injuries. I was a SAW gunner and M203 grenadier for a few years in a light Infantry unit.

Top Bottom