• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Another beginner question. What is the best way to trim a case. I am using the RCBS trimmer that came with my kit. I find it almost impossible to be accurate. My trimmed cases are all over the lot. How do I accurately set up my trimmer without ruining 2 or 3 brass in the process. Also, what is the tolerance. I am trying to trim my 25-06 cases to but I get up to .010 +/-. What is the best trimmer? Thanks.

Flex686

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    San Diego
    Another beginner question. What is the best way to trim a case. I am using the RCBS trimmer that came with my kit. I find it almost impossible to be accurate. My trimmed cases are all over the lot. How do I accurately set up my trimmer without ruining 2 or 3 brass in the process. Also, what is the tolerance. I am trying to trim my 25-06 cases to but I get up to .010 +/-. What is the best trimmer? Thanks.

I just got the Trim-It II (it's not technically out yet, but the original model is for $97.50)..It's $185 right now, and it trims, chamfers, and deburrs but you have to call them to get that one (562) 602-0080...the website is Trim It Home

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    "What is the best way to trim a case"
    Well OP are you looking to trim a few cases, some cases, a boat load and how fast?
    Also do you want the took to trim and chamfers and deburrs for you as well.
    or will you be doing the last two seperate?
    What does you budget look like as well?

The options given so far run the full specturm of the trimming process.
    LEE hand trimmers are the slowest but give good results. You can put one on a drill (like a drill bit) to increase speed.
    On the other end of the specturm you have the all in one Giraud that will trimm hundred of cases in under an hour for you.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Got a model on the RCBS trimmer?

Doesn't it have a stop collar? Adjusted properly and tight?

Yes +/- 0.010" is too much variance for my taste.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    very happy with my Little Crow Gun Works WFT

Ran a bunch and every one I checked was within a .001

Attaches to any drill

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I vote for Little Crow Gun Works WFT.
    -provides a nice clean cut
    -maintains adequate perpendicularity
    -maintains dimensional repeatability
    -trims referencing from the shoulder
    -relatively inexpensive
    -adjustable

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you're getting +/- .010", you're not using the existing tool correctly.

Getting a new tool and using that incorrectly may not solve the problem.

Were it me, I'd figure out what I'm doing wrong, fix it, then determine if I need a different tool.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Were it me, I'd figure out what I'm doing wrong, fix it, then determine if I need a different tool.

Quiet old man it's no fun to learn how to use the current tool when you can buy a shinny new one. ;)

What do you use BTW? I'm still using my LEE hand tool in a cordless drill.
    But then again for the 150 rounds a month I go thru in .30 carbine it's OK.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute

Well, I adjusted and trimmed; adjusted and trimmed; adjusted and trimmed. Then I threw away 2 brass. The 3rd one was within .002 (if you can get a device like this to be more precise, I'm all ears). Then I trimmed 6 brass and started measuring. They were all FUBAR +/- .010. I am accustomed to following detailed instructions (I'm married). I also know a thing or 2 about set screws and mic adjustments. The tool is no good. I'm going to gladly give the Little Crow a chance for 69 bucks.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Couple things before you give up....
    You may have a burr on the case mouth.
    And, if the case isn't square in the jaws, you won't get a square cut.
    The pilot should slide right in. If it doesn't, give the case a half turn and try again.

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    Quiet old man it's no fun to learn how to use the current tool when you can buy a shinny new one. ;)

What do you use BTW? I'm still using my LEE hand tool in a cordless drill.
    But then again for the 150 rounds a month I go thru in .30 carbine it's OK.

No it does not. Refering to the WFT chamfer and de-burr.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Couple things before you give up....
    You may have a burr on the case mouth.
    And, if the case isn't square in the jaws, you won't get a square cut.
    The pilot should slide right in. If it doesn't, give the case a half turn and try again.

I have my RCBS mounted on a 2x6 piece of planed hardwood. The pilot never went in squarely. I had to loosen the universal shell holding device end so the pilot would enter at all. Since the shell holder end is loose, the pilot enters the case ok but requires manipulation. The universal case holder flips the case off about 1 out of 3 times. I then use my RCBS Case Prep Center to debur before measuring. Even then, I think the amount trimmed is dependent on how hard I press on the crank. This shouldn't be the case on any piece of good equipment.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well, I adjusted and trimmed; adjusted and trimmed; adjusted and trimmed. Then I threw away 2 brass. The 3rd one was within .002 (if you can get a device like this to be more precise, I'm all ears). Then I trimmed 6 brass and started measuring. They were all FUBAR +/- .010. I am accustomed to following detailed instructions (I'm married). I also know a thing or 2 about set screws and mic adjustments. The tool is no good. I'm going to gladly give the Little Crow a chance for 69 bucks.

OK, we're talking about bottle-necked 25-'06 cases. The trim-to length in most books is 2.484". Are you saying you had cases as short at 2.474" and as long as 2.494", after you trimmed them? That is what you would be getting, if they were +/- .010".

A 25-'06 case, trimmed to 2.474", is NOT "FUBAR". It's perfectly fine to load up and shoot. That you would throw bottle-necked cases away just because they were trimmed a little shorter than trim-to length suggests that you're pretty new at this.

My guess is you had a trimmed range of +/- .005", or a total variation of .010". I say this because, if you started with brass that was long enough to need trimming (2.494"), the amount of manual effort to remove a full .020", as you are suggesting, is substantial. You would be cranking for a long time and wondering why it's taking so long. Regardless...25-'06 brass, trimmed past 2.484", is still perfectly suitable for reloading.

If the collet is not entering the case mouth cleanly, it's possible the tool is not aligned properly and that could cause problems, but not what you are describing. If you aren't using the correct shell-holder in the left side of the tool, or you aren't adjusting the set screw properly on the handle side, you'll get the kind of variation you are reporting. I wouldn't be surprised if you discover this is where you are missing something.

But, the bottom line is you haven't explained anything thus far that would suggest the tool itself is flawed. Countless reloaders trim cases to within +/- .002" using the very same tool you are struggling with. There is absolutely a "better way"...but it doesn't require a different tool to get there.

Top Bottom