There should really be a support group for this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    So there I was, minding my own business browsing the INGO webs, when I stumbled upon a few threads about guys filling the roll marks on their ar's. Then it hit me, I've got a brand new reciever with a wicked logo and absolutely nothing else to do. So......

IMG_0294.jpg

With so many of us just waiting, waiting, and some more waiting to build stripped lowers into complete rifles...all the while absorbing all of the available parts and options, seeing others build rifles, and changing our minds a bazillion times of what to build...there should be a support group of some kind for us. Maybe call it "incomplete AR 15 owners anonymous."

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    Just wandering...... ,how do you fill them in? fingernail polish? I've wanted to do this, but how . That looks great ,by the way!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've done this on my P12s, but the smooth finish on those allows me to just smear the paint on, then squeegee it off.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Thought I'd update the project. My order from PSA arrived today with their MOE lower parts kit, and a couple of their FDE magazines.

While putting this together, I was very impressed with the quality of the parts kit. Specifically that the trigger and hammer were machined quite well at the contact points. My only other experience is with a factory Olympic Arms, and that trigger set looks like dog crap compared to this one.

+1 to PSA for bang for the buck. Now to order some more parts to finish this beater rifle.

IMG_0321.jpg

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Looks great but I'm curious why you didn't use red paint for the fire position?

There is a product called Lacquer Stik fill in paint that many gunsmiths use. I've use it on a few of my lower and it's very easy to use and works great.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Looks great but I'm curious why you didn't use red paint for the fire position?

There is a product called Lacquer Stik fill in paint that many gunsmiths use. I've use it on a few of my lower and it's very easy to use and works great.

Truth be told, I wanted to use red for the fire positions. However, the only red I could find in my collection of model paints was "stop light red," and it was a little darker than I would've liked.

I may go over with red sometime in the future, but all motivation would have ended if I had to get out and go to the store before I started that project.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Finally finished!!!

Recieved my barrel today and put it all together. My first impression was how stupid light this thing weighs, which is exactly what I was shooting for. Now I just need to get out and shoot it, hopefully this weekend. Here's a list of parts:

Lower - Surplus Ammo & Arms
    Parts kit - PSA MOE standard parts kit
    Upper - Olympic Arms A1 (used, extra part from my other rifle)
    Bolt - M16 BCG (used)
    Barrel - Model 1 Sales lightweight profile
    Handguards - Magpul MOE

I'll try to get a decent range report asap.

IMG_0377.jpg

Top Bottom