• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Has anyone here ever tried to cook using a Thermos? I'm assuming the ones with stainless liners and not glass ones are used. I've done some reading up on it but would like to hear firsthand if anyone has tried it.
    NVG

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    I went ahead and did a small trial run with long grain white rice in an a 24oz/0.7L Stanley thermos. I used 1 cup of boiling water and 1/2 cup of Kroger brand long grain rice. I checked after 20 mins-rice still had not fully absorbed water. 30 mins- getting close. Spaced checking on it at 45 mins so at the 1hr mark, rice was done. Somewhere between 30 and 60 mins was optimal. I'm certain that different design/styles of thermos' will vary the cooking rate/time. Anyone else tried this ? Tried different foods?
    NVG

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Sounds similar to cooking in a cooler. That's how we do large amounts of corn. Shuck it and put the ears in a cooler, dump it full of boiling water, and let sit for however long until it's done. Leave them in the water to keep them warm.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Bog, that sounds easier than the way my wife made me do 12 dz ears last summer. Turkey fryer, boiled 10 ears at a time. Took me FOREVER!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Slow pot cooking using insulated containers has been done for centuries and is an excellent way to extend fuel. The original was sticking a pot in a bunch of hay or straw. If you needed to cook longer taking it out every few hours and heating it up and putting it back in. This works best with larger pots which have more thermal mass. But I've used the thermos method for stews and the like.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Never really heard of "cooking" in a thermos. I've reconstituted MANY a soup, rice, or ramen in one, though. Boil water, dump in thermos, add packet of whatever, seal and wait.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Never really heard of "cooking" in a thermos. I've reconstituted MANY a soup, rice, or ramen in one, though. Boil water, dump in thermos, add packet of whatever, seal and wait.

Most things like beans or tough meats don't need a continuous boil and several hours starting at a boil and dropping down to 150-160f is plenty of heat. Like smoking meats it's not about how high the temperature is, it's about how long they spend at or above whatever temperature it needs to affect the molecular changes. We just get used to simmering things on the stove for hours because energy is cheap.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    I never heard of this style of cooking. After running across it, I did a search here under s/d/p section to no avail. I was surprised this hadn't been posted before. Definitely a "+" for my preps.
    Thanks for all the other added info/alternative styles you guys have added.
    NVG

Top Bottom