• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I came to Indiana from south of the Ohio nearly 9 years ago. The following conversation at places we ate happened about three times before I realized it was hopeless.

Waitress: "What can I get you to drink?"
    Me: "Do you have sweet tea?"
    Waitress: "Yes."
    Me: "That will be great."

(then "sweet tea" arrives)

Me: "Mam, I'm sorry, but I ordered sweet tea."
    Waitress: "The sugar is right there, beside the salt."

:xmad:

So, realizing all hope was lost for true "sweet tea", I then just started ordering cokes. The conversation then went this way.

Me: "Coke, please."
    Waitress: "Sorry, we only have Pepsi products."
    Me: (to myself) "What is wrong with this person, I said a coke would be fine!":dunno:

I'm now accustomed to this culture enough that I know to get very specific when ordering drinks.

:rolleyes:Hoosiers:rolleyes:

:laugh:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I came to Indiana from south of the Ohio nearly 9 years ago. The following conversation at places we ate happened about three times before I realized it was hopeless.

Me: "Do you have sweet tea?"
    Waitress: "Yes."
    Me: "That will be great."

(then "sweet tea" arrives)

Me: "Mam, I'm sorry, but I ordered sweet tea."
    Waitress: "The sugar is right there, beside the salt."

:xmad:

So, realizing all hope was lost for true "sweet tea", I then just started ordering cokes. The conversation then went this way.

Me: "Coke, please."
    Waitress: "Sorry, we only have Pepsi products."
    Me: (to myself) "What is wrong with this person, I said a coke would be fine!":dunno:

I'm now accustomed to this culture enough that I know to get very specific when ordering drinks.

:rolleyes:Hoosiers:rolleyes:

:laugh:

QFT

I'm stopped ordering tea 'round these parts years ago.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    QFT

I'm stopped ordering tea 'round these parts years ago.
    Not me. I order and get sweet tea all the time. Lots of restaurants in my area of Hamilton county serve it. Not quite as sweet as I'd like it, but it's usually close enough. Shoot, Chik Fil A serves a mean sweet tea. Penn Station, not so much, but it is Luzianne.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I live right across the river from Kentucky. I have always been amazed at the difference with the southern drawl.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Sweet Tea. Holy :poop: I both love and hate it!

Not a Southerner but I have hung out for a minute or two.

Originally from north of Indiana. 7 years just South of Fort Wayne. 1 year in Florida (yeah I know not the South, but don't tell thenm that while you're there)
    Worked a little bit in Kentucky and Virginia. Anyfriggginway.....

Recently been doing some work down in GA. Wow the DEEP South. I was NOT ready. Albany ( All Binny to the good folks of GA) in August is Africa hot!. We had a 2 week training and all we were given to drink was water and sweet tea. VERY sweet tea. It got old after about 3 days. Had to go to the machine.
    So I learned too much sweet tea is a bad thing. At least for a Michigan boy.
    Also learned that a small pawnshop fulll of absolute garbage can stay in biz by having a few hundred guns crammed into jewelry cases. :draw:

I also learned that walking to get your fried food and sweating in the hot bbq place makes the food taste better when you get back because you're exhausted. The down side is you need a shower :):

Been to Douglas. It was like a time machine!

And lastly I learned that the people of the greater Atlanta area cannot drive:xmad::xmad: They are WORSE than Boston drivers. Hard to believe but true.

I really enjoy my time down there. Very Gun Friendly. Got taken to the range from a trainer:yesway:

And lastly I learned that this is pretty good stuff!
    thumbnail.aspx

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've always thought that people who live more than 3 miles north of the Ohio River talk funny. North of Indy? Forget it! We went to gatlinburg several years ago with some friends of ours, the guy was from Ft. Wayne. We stopped for breakfast in Corbin Ky, were my folks are all from, and I actually had to translate the waitresses questions for him, he could not understand her at all, and I wouldn't even have noticed her accent had he not made a big deal out of it.:):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not me. I order and get sweet tea all the time. Lots of restaurants in my area of Hamilton county serve it. Not quite as sweet as I'd like it, but it's usually close enough. Shoot, Chik Fil A serves a mean sweet tea. Penn Station, not so much, but it is Luzianne.

McDonalds has the closest copy IMO

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I didn't see "All-Y'all" in there anywhere.

I live in Hoosierland but I sure miss the South.

What is sad to me, is that it seems to me there is less and less of the drawl evident as people migrate back and forth more. When I traveled there years ago you could barely understand the local news folks the accent was so thick. Of course you don't get that as much now, as most of the young broadcasters have had any regional accent removed during their education and training.

I love the sweet tea, don't mind a few bugs, ache for the heat and and sure miss hearing "All-Y'all", (your entire family or group).

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    In the world, a Yankee is an American. In the US, a Yankee is a northerner. In the north, a Yankee is a New Englander. In New England, a Yankee is from Maine. I don't know how the Mainers dodge the title.

I thought they were called Maniacs.:D

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    In the world, a Yankee is an American. In the US, a Yankee is a northerner. In the north, a Yankee is a New Englander. In New England, a Yankee is from Maine. I don't know how the Mainers dodge the title.

And if we don't want to dodge it! I'm a good Yankee girl with a trucker mouth. Doesn't play well around "southern gentlemen"!:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    As a kid, the only tea I drank was at my grandparents and they made it with sacchrin. I mostly drank coke as a kid and as an adult, I started weaning myself off of coke. I started drinking sweet tea. The stuff from McD's tastes like syrup and I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners. At restaurants, I'd order tea and put sugar in it. By the time the sugar disolved, I was at the bottom of the glass so I just started drinking it unsweetened. Now if I get sweet tea, I just about gag.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just a couple of tweaks I could offer:

The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, the motor sports, and SEC football.

We don't follow basketball in the winter...we follow football recruiting.

We don't give a flip about March Madness...We're looking forward to spring practice.

Y'all is singular. All y'all is plural....for city folks in the south. If you're from the country, it's "yaw".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And if we don't want to dodge it! I'm a good Yankee girl with a trucker mouth. Doesn't play well around "southern gentlemen"!:D

Does not. I took my gf home in July, and she dropped the F-Bomb (actually the MF bomb) while having dinner with some of my high school friends. It entire table got quite, and I just hung my head in shame (she was prepped, well before)

Top Bottom