Think the ammo market is about to get better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Not again! That article is very distressing. "170rds per person a year is current demand." Goodness! I shoot 200rds a week!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Yeah. I was just now starting to get comfortable about finding 9mm at WalMart. Through almost this whole thing, I have been able to get .22 at pre-shortage prices, but even my secret spots for that are drying up again already. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the last one.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    This: There are simply too many new shooters for the market to keep up with demand.

Trying to find an open slot at the local range is nearly impossible without a wait that sometimes stretches into hours. While frustrating, this is a reality I never expected to see in my lifetime and cannot wait to see what goes down during the midterm elections this year. I'm hoping there aren't enough anti-gun politicians left to organize a neighborhood BBQ.

On a different angle, I wonder why more shooters aren't looking into black powder arms? I can buy black powder by the case for approximately the same prices as two years ago and shoot till I'm tired! It is a whole different sport than banging away with your AR/AK, but it's kept me shooting through the lean times and helps fulfill all the basic needs that drive me to shoot in the first place.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'd like to see/read something other than a blogger's perspective, showing that rifle powder is going to be in very short supply. My trips to Profire and other gun stores suggests otherwise. IF things are going to change, I'd like to see that substantiated. The vast majority of the new demand is from 223 and 308 rifle rounds. If the market for 223 is currently saturated, where is this shortage of rifle powder coming from?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I have seen rifle powder at profire and quite a few places on line, but pistol powder is about impossible to find righ now.

This is my experience as well. I've made stops to a few of my local shops on the days their shipments come in for the past several weeks and have come up dry. All I can do is go in once a week and hope to strike it lucky.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I checked the ammo counter at the Richmond Walmart Sunday. The older guy working the counter told me that they should be better stocked towards the end of April or sometime in May. He talked like things would be loosening up.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    I always trust the sports counter guys at Walmart. They seem to be on the cusp of the arms industry secret info. :O

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well, if you look at the classifieds here and other places, the 500 round packs of .22 that are $50 are sitting there and the $40-$35 ones are still getting bought.

I think things are loosening up.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hang on, I'm going to try to count the number of times ammo prices have gone down in the last six years...

*crickets*

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hang on, I'm going to try to count the number of times ammo prices have gone down in the last six years...

*crickets*

They absolutely have. They go up and then they come back down. The difference is that they don't always (or even normally) go back to the price they were before the big swing. Sort of like how gasoline prices work. There are a lot of factors involve, both purely political, which is driving this current one, and economical, which was driving the slow increase (mainly due to raw materials costs going up as China and other countries continue to ramp up their industrial production).

But this current upcoming powder shortage has got me really worried. I've started using the bathroom in buckets in my backyard, so I can collect the saltpeter and make my own black powder. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom