• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Over the last 9 months or so I have been thinking about going with 9mm instead of .40. My main reasoning is that I don't get to train all that often, and with a 9mm I think it would be a little easier to get shots on target with less training.

Don't get me wrong I like the .40, but with a lack of training and practice I think its a bit too much to carry.

So right now I am carrying a full size Glock 22. I may stick with a Glock and just got with a compact or sub compact 9mm, but I am open to other suggestions.

What say you INGO? With a lot of people drinking the M&P koolaid, and my secret love for Sigs, where should I start with my transition?

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Given the miniscule difference in terminal ballistics, the nine has a lot of advantages:
    1) Cheaper, which encourages more practice.
    2) Easier to shoot.
    3) Given equal-sized guns, more BBs in the tank.
    4) Less wear on the gun.

The .40 does perform slightly better after penetrating most barriers, but unless you plan to be shooting through a lot of sheet metal or windshield glass, or you get your ammo free from work, the 9 is usually the wiser choice.

Full Disclosure: I favored .40 from '93 to '99, went to a 10mm in '00 because I was a gun hipster ("You know what caliber my CCW is? Well, it's pretty obscure; you've probably never heard of it,") and then to a .45 in '02 before finally getting secure enough in myself to settle on a nine last year. And I'm shooting better already. :)

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    FWIW.... the Hamilton County Sheriff's Department just changed out from Glock .40's. It's now Deputy's choice: 9mm or .45ACP. So far, it appears to be about 50-50 among those who have put in their choice. So maybe this info will help you in your decision.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    don't quite get how getting rounds on target with 9 is easier, (BTW Im a 40fan so grain of salt)

both calibers in the same firearm are going to take you off target when you shoot. Practice will minimize that, but to your point practice is a problem.

I don't think any self defense scenario is going to be like any other scenario no matter what
    So if your counting that you will be shooting multiple times for every self defense act then we should go to the 22lr. and if the number of rounds on target is the issue then full auto 22 lr, shorts

your first round is your first round no matter what caliber.

I think we as internet jockey's put too much emphasis on the exact caliber. I think first thing to do is to have a gun when you need it. Thats why the 380 has got so popular, it can always be with you.

I have not defended myself but I have hunted for 35 years, and the recoil of shotguns has never been the factor of me not getting a second well placed shot. I think the adrenalin has made recoil a non factor in 99% of my hunting. within reason,

Dont' stress on this one, if you like what you have keep it, If you want something else get it don't try to rationalize

If your gun doesn't fit your hand well then no caliber will help. Again. Get what you want and don't worry about what anyone on the internet but Me has to say.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Over the last 9 months or so I have been thinking about going with 9mm instead of .40. My main reasoning is that I don't get to train all that often, and with a 9mm I think it would be a little easier to get shots on target with less training.

Don't get me wrong I like the .40, but with a lack of training and practice I think its a bit too much to carry.

So right now I am carrying a full size Glock 22. I may stick with a Glock and just got with a compact or sub compact 9mm, but I am open to other suggestions.

What say you INGO? With a lot of people drinking the M&P koolaid, and my secret love for Sigs, where should I start with my transition?
    I have owned three .40 S&W caliber handguns in the past, but don't anymore. One cannot deny the .40 gets the job done with aplomb, but the 9mm has had great strides in the performance department within the last fifteen years or so. I never could shoot the .40 as well as the 9mm or .45 ACP, so I finally gave up and stick with the 9mm and .45 ACP exlusively. JMHO.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm just as accurate with my sc XD 9 as I am with my full size XD 45. Shooting white box out of both. I prefer .45 because it is a lot more lead. 230 +p in the .45 and 147 in the 9 (sc so + stuff is just a waste). I am 6 foot and 240 so carrying a full size .45 is no biggy for me.

I trust the 9 with my life but prefer the .45.

Carry and shoot what you like.... Even .22 shorts will do the job in te right hands.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I was discussing this with some people yesterday. I think the recoil of the .40 is the worst out of the 3 calibers. The 9mm is barely anything, you can shoot it all day, with ease, you can control your shots and the recoil, and get a clean follow up shot. The .45 has big recoil, but its a heavy gun and the recoil is mostly upwards, making it easy to get follow up shots. The .40 is really snappy and directly back towards the shooter. This makes the feel of the shot a lot worse than it really is, and making the follow up aim needed to be adjusted left and right and top to bottom.

This is at least my take on it, and I think with a 9mm I can have more control over my shots and follow ups.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Personally I am more of a fan of the .357 Sig round than the .40 SW...

The 9mm is a capable round that I have had little issue with even when forced to use only FMJ. It has done everything I have asked of it, every time.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Unless you need to sell or trade the Glock 22 to buy something else. 1) Buy a 9mm conversion barrel for your Glock 22. 2) Pick up a nice Glock 19 or 26 for carry. Problem solved.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I agree with the majority of other sentiments on here. The 9mm is just as deadly as the other calibers, but you can afford a LOT more practice with it. To me, the added muzzle climb of the .40 increases the time it takes to re-acquire sights enough for me to be uncomfortable with it for EDC. I own a couple .40's and have no problem handling them. I just prefer the faster acquisition for follow up shots of the 9mm. If you need to use it, you are likely going to need more than one shot.:twocents:

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    Go with the 9mm, it's much cheaper to shoot and It will do what you need it to do. Have you considered the Springfield XD or even better the XDm 3.8 in 9mm? 19rd. mag!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Not a fan of the XD line. Don't like the grip safety, nor the angle of the grip. Just doesn't feel right in my hands. I do like Sigs, but haven't shot anything in 9mm, and obviously I lake the Glock as well.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Carry whatever makes you feel most confident in the system that is you and your weapon. For me, that is .40 S&W. I feel like the recoil in a ful size pistol is not that much more. I also carry a Glock 22, and I dont know about you, but 16 rounds of .40 in that gun makes me feel mighty safe. Think maybe you just might have new gun fever? May want to keep that fine weapon you own and get yourself a CC 9mm for the summmer? Just a friendly suggestion

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just I case this helps the extended mag for the XD 9 sc holds one more round then it says, 16 rounder but holds 17, 17+1 in a sc.... Get what you like and are comfortable with. I used to not like glocks and now I don't mind them, every gun has pros and cons. Even the high point.... Cheap gun pro.... Jaming every other round..... Con.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    9mm is a great round, and while I rotate carrying a Glock 27 & 23 (recently picked up the 23) , I agree the .40 is a bit of a beast especially in a sub compact. Previous to the 27/23, I rotated between a Glock 30/21 (.45) combination. The .45 is definitely softer shooting than the .40. I still have the Glock 30 and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

If I had it do over, I'd probably go with a 26/19 combination. 9mm with good ammo is a great defense weapon.

I have however purchased an Advantage Arms conversion kit for my 27 (may get one for my 23 if I can find one) that allows me to practice very cheaply, so I have addressed that concern.

Top Bottom