Thinking about an AR build like my old M16A4, now what kit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back in the day I had an M16A4 with the knights armament rail, but back then we didn't have anything for sights other than the carry handle type. I've really been wanting to build something as close to what I used to carry as possible. The kit I'm thinking about buying is this one from PSA; 20" Hammer-forged, A2 profile, Chrome-lined Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

I'm going to be using this for casual shooting at the range, but I also don't want to bother building something that not good quality or won't be very accurate. The kit doesn't have to be a 100% exact match, but I'd like it to be pretty close at least as far as specs go. I'll probably put in the lighter trigger springs and probably a gadsen flag engraved lower, but otherwise I'd like this rifle to be just like my old buddy.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a different kit?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    PSA sounds good. I am told they import their uppers/barrels/BCG's(?) from FN, Belgium, and they are the ones who make most M16's and the creator of the M249 SAW. Plus PSA has GREAT prices and free shipping right now. I would definitely think PSA.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    PSA is great, I buy from them a lot, they are running behind so it will take a few weeks to get it after you order. I ordered a parts kit from them a couple of days ago. Free shipping is no longer, but the last upper I bought, the shipping was only $15.

Dave

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    PSA's ear must have been burning I noticed this morning that their Gadsen lowers were out of stock and then after lunch checked again and they were in so I ordered one. The fun begins again. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I just finished putting my A2 lower together. All the lower parts were PSA except the JP #3 trigger and and old pair of trigger pins that I just happened to have laying around. Wow, that's a nice trigger.

Now as luck would have it I bad been planning on buying a hammer forged A4 chrome lined upper but they aren't in stock. I did notice that their heavy barreled 20" uppers were in stock though. It's an awful temptation, but I'm still going to wait on my A4 upper from PSA.

By the way, the Gadsen flag looks great on it.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    you'll be happy with PSA. i've built one so far, that shot great, and i'm currently building another one for a friend. Mine is all from PSA, everything on the friends is PSA except the stripped lower because they were backordered for weeks. He took care of the reciever and i ordered all the parts to my house, (why he didn't wanna build it himself i'm not sure) but either way i will have 2 under my belt very soon, with a 3rd (2nd personal one) on the way before years end.

I'll get the stripped lower locally this time, but the rest will undoubtedly come from PSA.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I really like my PSA. So much, in fact, that I'll be building another one sometime this winter. I've looked at the 20" hammer forged A2 kit. The one I built was the 16" mock dissipator hammer forged. The FN barrel is nice.

Top Bottom