• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Hey all, like most everybody that grew up hunting I was always taught that the 12 gauge shotgun was the required firearm for most midwest hunting, and I've been using my Mossberg 500 for almost 20 years now and it works like a champ.
    Here's the dilemma; my shoulders are starting to bother me enough that I am starting to flinch throwing off my shots. Unlike 99.9% of the internet I was never a sniper @ camp perry, so this is really an issue.
    Many of the hunting/outdoor magazines that I have seen, and even a number of reliable web sites, are talking about 20 gauge being almost as good as a 12 with the new ammo that's available.
    So, I am thinking about "downsizing" to a 20 gauge. Most of my hunting with the 12 is deer hunting in Michigan. My biggest concern is the lack of buckshot availability for a 20, but I guess I could load my own.
    thoughts?

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Nothing wrong with 20's, have you tried some lighter (reduced recoil) loads for the 12g?

Coming from archery, a fast miss is still a miss... Shoot what allows you to hit your target!

As far as deer hunting, I've seen many a youth take deer with a .410.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have been deer hunting with a 20ga. for the last 7 years. The 20ga. tends to shoot flatter than the 12ga. which I like for sighting in purposes. I have taken 6 bucks with it and don't see any difference or lack of performance over a 12ga. It's all about shot placement more than anything else. :twocents:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    If you really like it have you looked into possibly getting a gunsmith to add brake holes to your barrel to reduce recoil?

Recoil pad?

I bet if you looked hard enough, you'd find something that worked in a 20 as far as ammo goes. I say use what works for you best. If that means trading the 12 in for a 20 to save your shoulders, go for it.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Buckshot is available for the 20, not quite as much as 12, but it's out there.

My first shotgun was a 20, I shot trap and clays and shot just as well as guys with the 12.
    The only place where the 20 falls short is really long shots at birds, 20GA is not a goose gun. But it will do in my opinion 95% of what a 12 can. But the benefit of lower recoil means more hits, and less punishment on the shoulder makes for a more pleasant experience.

Nobody is going to pull your man card for shooting a 20.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've taken deer with my 20 before, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I needed to. Even more than my sentimental attachment to it, being the gun I took my very first deer with, is that my wife is a very small framed woman (5'0" 105lbs) and I keep the 20 around for her and our kids (whom aren't old enough to shoot yet). It'l be more comfortable for all of them, it still does it's intended job, and the Mossy 500 20ga I own has been doing it reliably for 25 yrs now. If it fits your current situation better to drop down, why wouldn't you. You can find some buckshot online and bulk buy if your worried about having it on hand.

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    I love a 16 for birds, rabbits and it would do the job on a deer. Ammo can be a bit harder to find but a 16 is what I grab for most unless I am shooting Geese. I also have a 28 that I have used since I was a kid. Just hard to find ammo for both.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You're shooting a pump and the recoil is going to come straight back at you. Give a semi auto an honest try like an 1100 or 11-87. I recently bought an 11-87 and it's much less recoil than my 870. When I shot a friends 1100 and felt the difference in recoil between a pump and an auto I knew I'd be buying one eventually.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Hey all, like most everybody that grew up hunting I was always taught that the 12 gauge shotgun was the required firearm for most midwest hunting, and I've been using my Mossberg 500 for almost 20 years now and it works like a champ.
    Here's the dilemma; my shoulders are starting to bother me enough that I am starting to flinch throwing off my shots. Unlike 99.9% of the internet I was never a sniper @ camp perry, so this is really an issue.
    Many of the hunting/outdoor magazines that I have seen, and even a number of reliable web sites, are talking about 20 gauge being almost as good as a 12 with the new ammo that's available.
    So, I am thinking about "downsizing" to a 20 gauge. Most of my hunting with the 12 is deer hunting in Michigan. My biggest concern is the lack of buckshot availability for a 20, but I guess I could load my own.
    thoughts?
    I prefer a 20 over a 12 myself. Remember, thats still a pretty big slug going down range with plenty of muzzle energy to take down your game cleanly. JMHO.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Curious as to why you choose buckshot instead of a slug for deer hunting. Do Michigan regulations forbid a slug?
    It actually depends on how I'm hunting. If I'm in the stand slugs are fine, but if I'm "stalking" through the swamp it's a whole lot easier to take one down on the fly with buckshot. I've never wounded a deer w/buckshot, but I have with a slug:(.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Bill, they make those recoil reducing stocks, never tried one but I hear they work well. I don't think there would be anything wrong with a 20 though. Whats up with your shoulders? All of those dirt bike wrecks catching up with you old man?:):

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I'd say whichever you think is the better choice. I've killed many dear with both 20 and 12 gauge and they both kill them just as dead. :D The recoil pads that you can add do help a good bit I used them when I was younger and had trouble with the recoil from the 12 gauge. Either way is a fine solution IMO.

Top Bottom