• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Shooting is supposed to be fun. Pain isn't fun. Downsize and enjoy. If it hurts to shoot you shoot less. If it doesn't hurt you shoot more. Which do I choose?????:ar15:

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I'd go with the 20, I have a whole freezer of proof that a 20 gauge will take deer. You still need to figure out which deer slug works best in your gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Another option might be a semi-auto 12 gauge. I recently had a chance to shoot a Mossberg 930 right after shooting my 500 and was surprised at how much less recoil the 930 had over my 500. I am not a hunter, and don't know if the semi-auto would still be completely legal for hunting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Can't you hunt deer with a rifle in Michigan?

Lot's of lower recoil choices. in .243" (6mm), .257", and 264" (6.5mm).

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can sympathise with getting older and a 12 gauge. I tore the rotator cuff on my shooting shoulder and the recoil is just too much, now. I had not thought about a .20. If you do shoot one please let us know how it feels. Good luck.:popcorn:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Can't you hunt deer with a rifle in Michigan?

Lot's of lower recoil choices. in .243" (6mm), .257", and 264" (6.5mm).
    No, lower Michigan is shotgun (or BP) only.
    I can sympathise with getting older and a 12 gauge. I tore the rotator cuff on my shooting shoulder and the recoil is just too much, now. I had not thought about a .20. If you do shoot one please let us know how it feels. Good luck.:popcorn:
    I routinely shoot my wifes 20 with no problem.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Bill, they make those recoil reducing stocks, never tried one but I hear they work well. I don't think there would be anything wrong with a 20 though. Whats up with your shoulders? All of those dirt bike wrecks catching up with you old man?:):
    Yeah, dirt bikes, football, Army, martial arts. And who you calling old, you're older than I am:draw:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Check the performance figures on the Federal Sabot type slugs for 20 gauge. I shot a couple boxes through a rifled barrel 20 gauge, and I was really impressed with the accuracy and ease of recoil. I never shot a deer with them yet, but the numbers say they sould do fine.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I voted for downsizing. You might also consider going with a atuo I got tired of getting beat up by my 870 slug gun and switched to a 11-87 and the recoil is 1/2 of the pump gun. As for the buckshot loads they are pretty slim pickings in the 20 ga line up. Whatever you go with enjoy.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would definitely downsize, for crying out loud the 20 ga. is 62 caliber if I recall correctly and therefore way more than adequate to kill deer as many have already stated. I will NOT shoot slugs from my 12 gauges because I do NOT like the recoil. If I needed to use a shotgun for deer it would be my 16 or my 20 gauge.

Get what you like to shoot and you will shoot better.

Also, you are not a wuz for wanting to avoid the 12 gauge recoil, I avoid it and I am the most manly person I have ever met.

Best regards,

Terry

harmonn@att.net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    I'd like to think that most kids started out hunting their first deer with a 20 ga.; I know I did. I see no reason for a man not to use one either. With that said, a person may want to look into a .410 as well. Yes, you have to be a more accurate shot, but the little guy has take down power similar to a rifle. I'm also looking in purchasing a m77 44 mag Ruger this year. I'm not sure, but think they have less recoil than a 12 ga. Someone correct me if I am wrong, cause I have never shot one.

One more thing...your buddies don't have you using 3" magnum shells do they??? Even the expensive Light Fields produce more recoil than STD 2-3/4" Winchester slug. People we argue all day about accuracy, but it boils down the yardage you typically shoot deer. I myself shoot deer within 60 yards here in southern Indiana. Cheap Win, Fed, or Rem slugs will do the trick.

Best Regards,

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I think you can do about anything with a 20 ga you can do with a 12 ga. My grandson's trap team came in 3rd in the country in his age group at the Sparta Il SCTP shoot 3 years ago, shooting a 1100 20ga youth model. Shells are a little more expensive than a 12 ga, and reloading components are not as easy to find, as for 12ga.

Dave

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    I've been hunting with a 20 ga Remington 1100 for 15 years and have lost count of how many deer I've killed with it. Was shooting with my brother-in-law this week and I was able to unload 5 rounds in the time it took him to get 1 shot and reload with his Remington 870. No recoil and stays on target.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Another vote for the downsize, but I would upgrade to a recoil reducing stock as well. No since waiting until the 20ga feels harsh to make the change, and some of the 3" loads I have put through have been every bit as harsh as my 12ga.

As has been said, the point is fun and spending 2-3 days afterwards with a sore shoulder is not what I want (although the sore legs from dragging out that oversized deer is OK w/ me.)

Top Bottom