• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I have a G21, and a HK USP. I would choose the Glock any day for my own accuracy. There is no comparison with me. I guess the Glock fits better. I like the design of the HK better, but i can't shoot as well. I also have SR 1911 on its way.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I have a G21 with a Streamlight TLR-3 for home defense. And I own a couple XD pistols in .45. My G21 does not feel as comfortable in the hand as an XD, but it sure is accurate. I shot a G21 back a few years ago before I purchased mine in 2005. If I didn't have the G21, then my SA XD would be my choice for a home defense pistol. I own a 1911, and it is a fantastic gun to shoot at the range, but I normally do not carry it as an EDC gun and it does not serve as a primary home defense pistol.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NHT3
    The G-21 is kind of large for some people so don't overlook the Glocks in 45 GAP, Models 37,38, and 39. Same frame as your 19 but 45 ACP ballistics and bullet weight. I have a couple of them and really like em. Of course there's NOTHING wrong with a 1911:D
    Just my .02

The only thing that I don't like about the GAP, is the fact that shooting the normal round from it, is like shooting a +P round from a normal 45 because of the pressures. I do however like the smaller package.

I've never heard anyone say that about the GAP pistols but everyone feels recoil differently. I can also say that everyone I know that has shot one considers the recoil milder that a 40. ??
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield

If youwant a 1911 type and high round count try the STI 2011. Its grip is about thesame size as the Glocks. To me it fills smaller and you can get mags withextensions that let you load 14+1 in .45 ACP. You can find several at the gunstore in Greenwood not Don's though.

If you have not shot much besides the Glock you will be surprised at the waydifferent guns fill in your hand. You could find that the Glock is the best fitthen again you might find the 1911 type fits your hand best or a brand inbetween.

I'm not one that should answer you help call as my always gun :draw:was build in 1925 and has no external hammer. My night stand gun changes just about every night as I use the one I shoot that day. They are 9mm Glock, 40S&W Model 4013, 10mm EAA, or .45 ACP Colt 1911A1. :patriot:

Remember that the fun in getting a new gun is looking at all that timtasion, tuching and pulling the triggers.

jmanrogers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks "spyder" and "Armchair Operator" for expounding on my response. I would have to agree with y'all on many facets. The classic 1911 may not be for everyone, and I definitely agree that there are newer .45's out there that may cater to certain peoples needs better. It all boils down to individual preference, budget and purpose served.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    I think mainly when it comes to self defense guns, you need a gun that will fit comfortably in your hand, otherwise, you are going to absolutely hate shooting the gun, and your accuracy will go down the ****ter. What you should look for in any cary or self defense gun, is a gun that points right (that should be high on the priority list anyway). On some people (me), the 1911 points down in my hand even with the arched mainspring housing (I'm using 1911's and Hk's as an example because a couple of them are readily available to me at the moment). The STI's, and Caspian's do it with me as well. My wife's USP compact points ever so slightly down also... Anyway, this is important because in a quick draw and fire where you might not get the time to properly align your sights (longer time if your natural aim is off more), your natural hold (natural point) is where your first shot or two will be. As you will see in the pictures below, 1911's with a flat mainspring housing and I would just take out their ankles... Remember, at 7 yards, 21 feet, the average person can make that distance with a knife in an average of one in a half seconds... That fact has been researched by many including the FBI, and the Tueller Drill is made specifically for that. Again in one and a half seconds, are you going to have your gun unholstered and be able to aim down the sights? This is where natural aim is a big thing (along with training). My full size USP fits me perfect, better sadly than my Hk45. Anyway, it is good to have a gun that is accurate, and extremely relaible for a self defense gun (my arguement for Hk), but also one that fits you right.

My finger is pointing straight out in all of these pictures (where my natural point is), the camera angle is off in some more than others (wife's a potter, not a photographer).
    DSCN3835.jpg

^ 1911 with arched mainspring housing
    DSCN3833.jpg

^ 1911 with flat mainspring housing
    DSCN3834.jpg

^ 1911 with flat mainspring housing, sight picture (bad guys ankle's are gona hate me)
    DSCN3836.jpg

^ Caspian double stack with flat housing
    DSCN3837.jpg

^ The wife's Hk USP 45 C
    DSCN3838.jpg

^ Hk45 with small backstrap
    DSCN3840.jpg

^ Hk USP 45 full size (not your every day USP 45... not my carry gun, just a fun example)

Last edited:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    As you are merely thinking of getting one and not dead set on it, I suggest you save your money for more important things. You gain nothing by having a different handgun for home defense when your 19 is completely appropriate for this purpose.

Instead of buying a new gun, spend your money on ammunition and training.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Went to the gun shop last night and played with a few of their guns. They had an XD, G21, and a few 1911's. I was hoping they had an XDM competition, that's the one I really like, not the service pistol.

The G21 was the most comfortable in my hand. Not sure if that's because I'm used to the G19 or not.

That's the gen 4 however. I was quite surprised at how different the gen 3 feels. To be honest, I hated it. Night and day difference how the gen 3 and gen 4 feels in your hand. The gen 3 felt like a hand grenade.

The 1911's felt good, but then again I've shot those before as well.

I'm still going over to the range to see what they have to rent and shoot a couple of different .45's. I'm not in a hurry though so I'm still undecided.

Right now the G21 (gen 4) is at the top of the list, but man that Springfield 1911 they had was one sweet pistol. Too bad it's $1300. Ouch. :(

Also, thanks everyone for the advice. Spyder - those pictures you posted on the pointing angle were very helpful, and gave me something else to consider.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Can't go wrong with the 1911 Colt Commander or Defender.
    It is the smoothest and straightest .45 shooter I have.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Why ask ? It must be your decision as to what feels right to you. I make grips and people ask me which ones i like ? I like all of them BUT each is a personal thing . They must decide what pleases them when laying down the cash.Same with a personal firearm.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Why ask ? It must be your decision as to what feels right to you. I make grips and people ask me which ones i like ? I like all of them BUT each is a personal thing . They must decide what pleases them when laying down the cash.Same with a personal firearm.

I agree that ultimately I need to get what works for me, but it's always nice to get different opinions and advice. It allows you to consider things that you may not have previously been aware of.

Besides, this is a gun forum to discuss guns. It wouldn't be much fun if no one wanted to do that.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    getting a proper index quickly and consistently is more a function of training than buying a spiffy new gun. It can be done with anything and does not require any specific make/model.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    getting a proper index quickly and consistently is more a function of training than buying a spiffy new gun. It can be done with anything and does not require any specific make/model.
    It seems like common sense to buy a reliable gun that fits good and already points naturally. Ya, most people can pick up any gun and learn to shoot it properly over time, but why not have one more advantage on your side already? That's like saying "why buy a car that runs properly, when you can buy one that you have to learn to fix?"

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I guess you would call my 45 a "compatible model", it is a Colt Double Eagle. For those not familiar with it the gun is a single / double action stainless steel full size with no grip safety or side safety, the only "safety" is a decocker. Magazine holds 8 rounds (single stack) with an additional one in the pipe. Has a decent trigger and sights from the factory and is as reliable as any weapon I have ever seen. I bought it new 20 years or so ago, and it is my EDC and my nightstand gun. Like the standard 1911 it has some slop, that allows it to function properly when covered in sand or mud (I try not to do that) and will run oiled or dry. It is not the most accurate handgun I have, but would lay $100 down to bet I can hit a man size target in a "hurt zone" 100% of the time at 50 ft (longer than any shot I could take in my home and probably longer than I could defend in court as a self defense shot). I own 44 mag, 357, 45 LC, 38, 9mm Largo, 9mm Lugar, 9mm corto (.380), 22 mag, 22LR, and a couple of foreign caliber handguns and really trust the 45 ACP to do the job if needed. If I need more than 9 shots to defend myself, in my opinion it would have to be in a SHTF situation In that case I will pull out my AK or LR 308 or one of several multiple round rifles or shotguns. Personally I don't think you can find a more reliable gun than a 1911 - more accurate yes, but the 1911 proved itself in wartime over and over again, I don't care for all the safety features but some of the compatible designs do eliminate those without compromising the basic design.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    It seems like common sense to buy a reliable gun that fits good and already points naturally. Ya, most people can pick up any gun and learn to shoot it properly over time, but why not have one more advantage on your side already? That's like saying "why buy a car that runs properly, when you can buy one that you have to learn to fix?"

It's not all that hard. Anyone with a modicum of skill can pick up just about any modern handgun and get it to "point naturally" in 15-20 minutes of dryfire.

People get too hung up on the hardware, thinking it a replacement for good software. It ain't. :twocents:

To the extent that equipment does matter, I'll offer that my USP was ergonomically the worst pistol I've ever owned. The trigger was lousy and it cost entirely too much. If one were trying to "buy skill" via hardware, that's probably the worst choice to do it with.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    It's not all that hard. Anyone with a modicum of skill can pick up just about any modern handgun and get it to "point naturally" in 15-20 minutes of dryfire.

People get too hung up on the hardware, thinking it a replacement for good software. It ain't. :twocents:

To the extent that equipment does matter, I'll offer that my USP was ergonomically the worst pistol I've ever owned. The trigger was lousy and it cost entirely too much. If one were trying to "buy skill" via hardware, that's probably the worst choice to do it with.
    I can see you are obviously a pro, and the trainers at Magpul, AWT, TWS and other places are wrong... I'm sorry to have argued with such a master. I'm glad that you schooled me on how bad one of the most reliable guns right out of the box is, how USP is a waste of money... I'm glad you saved me. I'm kinda sad to see that I have wasted a lot of money on training courses not tought by you, and that I have no idea of what I'm doing as a gunsmith... One thing though, if you are going to argue about something like how easy it is to learn a new grip angle from the change of what one has known their entire life, I don't think you should be dogging on trigger pull..... Just sayin, especially on a gun in which has a lighter pull than the standard 1911, more slack (due to the double action), but lighter.

Now back to reality and away from the navy seals, or delta elite people...
    getting a comfortable gun is a key issue. Hold them in your hand and point them. The blocky style of the USP might not fit your hand well like it does mine. The FNP 45 is also a great gun along with the G30.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    2304795-good_good_let_the_butthurt_flow_through_you_1.jpg

I've got just as much a right to offer an opinion as you do.

And it could be you've wasted a bunch of money on training courses. Are you actually any good? :dunno:

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    The thread went down hill a bit. :(

However, I got a Springfield Operator. :D

Haven't shot it yet. I'll post a pic later, probably on the 1911 thread.

Top Bottom