• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    As to the Heritage and Wrangler recommendations...I have extensive experience with both, and both are cheap toys.
    I already know the Heritage revolvers are junk. I had a new one lock up on me while I was fiddling with it at the gun store.

I've not had any problems out of my Wrangler. What makes it a toy, rather than a practical and inexpensive option, in your experience?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I already know the Heritage revolvers are junk. I had a new one lock up on me while I was fiddling with it at the gun store.

I've not had any problems out of my Wrangler. What makes it a toy, rather than a practical and inexpensive option, in your experience?
    My son has one. It has had some bullet stabilization issues....keyholing in the target, shooting ammo that my Single-Six shoots just fine. The gun has been back to Ruger, and actually got replaced with a different gun. The new one has been a little more tolerant but still has problems with golden bullets (which, while not the best ammo out there, doesn't tumble out of any of my other .22s).

The sights aren't well-registered on his, either, and last time we took it out he had to hold about 6" left at 15 yards to make hits. They're fixed, so there's not much to be done about it. That was shooting Federal Automatch, so I want to try some different ammo before I do anything else to it. But even if it's ammo-specific, the gun shouldn't be that picky.

I'm also not a big fan of the aluminum (or pot metal?) construction. When you pick up my stainless Single-Six, it feels almost exactly like a centerfire Blackhawk. It's solid, and has the heft of a "real" gun. The Wrangler feels like some of the cap guns I owned as a kid.

There is definitely some buyer's remorse with the gun, and I wish I'd encouraged him to save up a little longer to buy something better. We bought it hoping it would prove to be the inexpensive, practical option that you described, but instead it (actually both of them) turned out to be kind of a turd.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    RK has a revolver chambered in 22lr. it seems to have a very short barrel. Just wondering about the applications it would have with such a short barrel? Seems like limit d to plinking? Also seems like having any degree of accuracy may be a challenge?

Thanks

I have no dog in the hunt.
    I will offer a bit of friendly advice...which is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Revolvers can be addictive...very addictive.

Carry on.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son has one. It has had some bullet stabilization issues....keyholing in the target, shooting ammo that my Single-Six shoots just fine. The gun has been back to Ruger, and actually got replaced with a different gun. The new one has been a little more tolerant but still has problems with golden bullets (which, while not the best ammo out there, doesn't tumble out of any of my other .22s).

The sights aren't well-registered on his, either, and last time we took it out he had to hold about 6" left at 15 yards to make hits. They're fixed, so there's not much to be done about it. That was shooting Federal Automatch, so I want to try some different ammo before I do anything else to it. But even if it's ammo-specific, the gun shouldn't be that picky.

I'm also not a big fan of the aluminum (or pot metal?) construction. When you pick up my stainless Single-Six, it feels almost exactly like a centerfire Blackhawk. It's solid, and has the heft of a "real" gun. The Wrangler feels like some of the cap guns I owned as a kid.

There is definitely some buyer's remorse with the gun, and I wish I'd encouraged him to save up a little longer to buy something better. We bought it hoping it would prove to be the inexpensive, practical option that you described, but instead it (actually both of them) turned out to be kind of a turd.
    Have him contact Ruger about the keyholen issue that isn't right. They will fix that right up for him. Excellent customer service.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Have him contact Ruger about the keyholen issue that isn't right. They will fix that right up for him. Excellent customer service.
    I did. We sent it back. They replaced it. New gun does the same thing, albeit to a lesser extent. I'm over it.

Ruger traditionally has had a reputation for excellent customer service, which is part of the reason I own a bunch of Ruger firearms. The Wrangler issue was the first time I've ever had to contact them, and they were easy to deal with, although the fix was not 100% satisfactory, and we got billed a transfer fee by the dealer for the new gun (same dealer we bought the original gun from NIB, which I though was kinda crappy on their part, but not really Ruger's fault). Even at the relatively reasonable rate of $20/transfer, plus over an hour round-trip in the car to the dealer, the economics of this "cheap" gun rapidly begin to degrade if you have to keep sending it back.

Recently, the bolt on my MkII stainless target broke...the charging ears broke off under recoil. It's a known issue with the stainless guns, and I knew it was a possibility, I just hoped it would t happen, but it finally did. I contacted Ruger about a replacement, and they offered to sell me a new bolt for $69. Told me that they don't have a written warranty. It's an old gun...I kinda get it...but the MkIV bolt works in the MkII, and that's a current production item, so they have them on hand. I also realize they aren't legally obligated to replace it for free, since there's no written warranty...but it seemed like it would have been a simple thing for them to ship one out to take care of the customer. I've had plenty of other companies do that for me over the years, and I've heard stories that the Ruger of the past was well known for doing that as well.

Ultimately, I had a buddy tig weld the bolt back together, and all is well. But I left the situation with a loss of confidence that I can count on Ruger to do anything beyond what they absolutely have to in order to support their products.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Another vote for the SW 63. Picked up a 317 and the 63 at the same time. I preferred the addition weight of the 63. Sold the 317.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I got one of the 16 inch models for giggles, no rounds through it yet, and already has indexing issues. Hmmm...
    On the other hand, I also have a 3" shopkeeper, and it's a jewel. They're not go to war pistols. But, for the money, they are a hoot. Lots of fun.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I like my high standard 9 shot with the 5.5 inch barrel, use it with rat shot for small varmints around my chicken coop, bought it brand new from the local hardware store 50 years ago, put maybe 10,000 rds thru it and still going strong, paid $89. So yes buy a 22 rev but go with a little longer barrel and a little better quality and it will last you a life time

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    RK has a revolver chambered in 22lr. it seems to have a very short barrel. Just wondering about the applications it would have with such a short barrel? Seems like limit d to plinking? Also seems like having any degree of accuracy may be a challenge?

Thanks
    ROSSI has a new 357mag out 6" barrel for around $425 you can shoot 38 Special in it also.
    Do you reload?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    ROSSI has a new 357mag out 6" barrel for around $425 you can shoot 38 Special in it also.
    Do you reload?

No I thought about learning to reload but wonder if my lack of fine motor skills would make reloading difficult if not impossible. From what I understand primers are really small?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No I thought about learning to reload but wonder if my lack of fine motor skills would make reloading difficult if not impossible. From what I understand primers are really small?
    They make things that help tremendously with primers.

This for one.

I use this 95% of the time nowadays.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They make things that help tremendously with primers.

This for one.

I use this 95% of the time nowadays.

I use the RCBS myself. Used to be something to do while watching tv or something to pass the time.

Top Bottom