• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    But I could also see a use for 22wmr if you routinely dealt with bigger varmints like coons.
    I tend to use .22 WMR for ground hogs and racoons with good success.
    Shot placement matters, especially with ground hogs, but yet still effective!

DIBS...on any deals or offers made available!

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I love me some .22 Mag. I will agree that it does nothing that a LR or .223 can't do, but I just like it anyway. I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian when it comes to cartridges though. 22 mag, 44 spl, 32 spl, 444 Marlin, 16ga....I appreciate a good odd ball that gets the job done.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    Funny, I went to .22 mag in rifle and am getting out of .22lr LOL.
    I'm not getting rid of any .22LR guns, but I have almost quit using .22LR for small game/pests. I use .22WMR almost exclusively now. However, on the few occasions when I need to use a low power quiet round, I use one of the low report rounds in .22LR (Aguila Colibri, CCI Quiet-22, etc).

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Extra power in NAA revolvers,
    Probably much less than you think. Ballistics by the inch test various calibers in different length barrels. I believe they start off with the longest barrel they are testing and cut it down inch by inch. They only went down to 2 in not 1like the mini.
    LR
    WMR

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Probably much less than you think. Ballistics by the inch test various calibers in different length barrels. I believe they start off with the longest barrel they are testing and cut it down inch by inch. They only went down to 2 in not 1like the mini.
    LR
    WMR

You're not wrong, but it's not all about the power factor. With the WMR, if you're close enough with your 1" barrel, you can burn the face off the target with the muzzle blast! You get extra style points under those conditions.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You're not wrong, but it's not all about the power factor. With the WMR, if you're close enough with your 1" barrel, you can burn the face off the target with the muzzle blast! You get extra style points under those conditions.

True, similar to a mosin. Shoot, skewer, and cook a critter all at the same time.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The very first gun I ever bought on my own was a Marlin 783 22 Magnum back in 1981. Since then I have owned 2 other 22 Mags , CZ452 Lux and my current Ruger American.

Mag is not cheap to shoot but I had a lot of it left over when I bought a Single Six in 1999. Did not care for of the 22 Mag in the revolver much. So I decided a rifle "needed" to be bought and picked up the Ruger American. Probably will hang on to the Ruger. Shoots pretty well and the trigger adjusts down nicely.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IIRC I have only had two 22 WRM's. I tried to justify a S&W 351 pd J frame, for pocket carry, but the muzzle blast certainly didn't impress my chrony, and all I could say was I could have had a 38. Down the road it went. The other 22 WMR was a Marlin bolt action rifle. Nice accurate gun but once I shot my CZ 22 hornet, which is perfect for that in between 22lr/.223 role with low report, down the road the Marlin went.
    I'm thinking about the exact opposite and getting rid of my CZ .22 hornet. It doesn't really do anything for me that .22 Mag won't do or that I wouldn't just go ahead and step up to .223.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It still has a place. There are small varmint situations where I wouldnt have wanted to use either of your suggested calibers due to underpowered or too much energy and concern for what is downrange.

But hey, you do you. If you dont foresee needing it, dump it. (just make me a good deal on your ammo)
    Since I’ve successfully downloaded 223 with pistol powder to surprisingly low levels (barely over 22LR) I’m going to say that there is no practical role *for me* that 22WMR would ever fill.

IMO, it suffers from “tweener” syndrome. It’s the same reason every tool I buy now is either the cheapest that will get the job down or the very best I can afford.

There’s precious little that is beyond 22LR for which a 223 is overkill or unwise. Especially with the dizzying array of 223 loads offered, including frangible varmint bullets.

And double especially if you’re a hand loader. 22WMR is among the most nichiest of niche calibers that wouldn’t exist if Varmintor or Stinger type ammo existed back then.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

And double especially if you’re a hand loader. 22WMR is among the most nichiest of niche calibers that wouldn’t exist if Varmintor or Stinger type ammo existed back then.

Except that WMR has more energy at 100 yards than LR has at the muzzle. So you can reach out a little farther without stepping up to a centerfire.

But if it's not something you find useful, I get that too.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    22 WMR will probably always be cheaper than 5.7x28. Which is the center fire next step up. Reloading 5.7 is still an iffy proposition. Until case coatings and powder charge sensitivity can be resolved, I believe 22 WMR still has a viable round.

MH

Top Bottom