Thinking about going to the beach for a week.... where to go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The family and I went to Disney last year and on the way home we stopped at a beach for part of the day. The kids LOVED it, so we are thinking of going somewhere this year to just go to a beach for a few days.

Ideally it would be somewhere family friendly, and closer to us than orlando. Im thinking the gulf coast, ie straight south of us. Ive heard of places like Sanibel Island, and Gulf Shores. Im just looking for suggestions on where to go, and where to stay. IE hotel, rent a house, etc.

thanks!
    Clay

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Gulf Shores is awesome. Condos are much cheaper than houses and they have many just across the street from the beach. That's my vote. It gets HOT in July/August though.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I am a big fan of the area from Panama City Beach to Destin. The beaches are as pretty as anywhere I've been in Florida. I've been to PCB every year since 87. Pm me if you want more info.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Saint Augustine has the coolest Fort in America IMHO.

Thats where we went on the way back last year. We didn't stay long enough to do anything but the beach.

Its not out of the running at all, I was just hoping for closer this go round.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Virginia Beach. There is Williamsburg with Busch Gardens for the kids, Norfolk Zoo, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Waterside in Norfolk, Battleship Wisconsin @ Nauticus.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My family is a huge fan of the Outer Banks. Lots of history, and the farther south you go the more unspoiled beach you find. We usually rent a home near Avon, Buxton or Cape Hatteras. Lots to do on Roanoke Island and we love the swimming on Ocracoke island. You can stay on the sound side or ocean side of the islands. If you are into geocaching, there are some neat caches in the area.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    St. Pete Beach is very nice. The clearwater area just North is nice too. Lots of areas to stay right on the beach. Recommended for the family!

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    If you stay in gulf shores destin or anywhere in the area the naval aviation museum in Pensacola is outstanding. I have been there and taken the guided tour more times than I can count. The tour guides have always been retired naval aviators and they customize the tour to spend time with planes they actually flew. I have had WW2 vets to current aviators give the tour and it is amazing. One year I was there a WW2 vet was in our group and told us about learning to land on a paddle wheel steamer converted to a flat top in the Great Lakes, and how cold the water was when he didn't get it right.
    Unforgettable.

Top Bottom