• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I've never reloaded, nor do I know anyone who has. But i've tossed the idea around pretty hard the last year or so and i think i'm going to try it.

My question is could i get a decent setup for around $600-$800? To start out, i figure i'll just try .223 and .40 cal.

Would the Rockchucker Supreme kit from RCBS be a good choice? :dunno:

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. :patriot:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You can do a lot for $600 to $800. Since you are a novice, and you want to do 223, a single stage press would probably be a good start. I would start out with the 40 because straight walled cases are much easier to work with. They do not usually require trimming like bottleneck cases do. The Rockchucker, the Lee single stage, the Hornady classic would all be good choices. I am sure everyone will chime in with their own preferences. I am a Hornady guy, and I own the Hornady single stage, and I am very happy with it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've never reloaded, nor do I know anyone who has. But i've tossed the idea around pretty hard the last year or so and i think i'm going to try it.

My question is could i get a decent setup for around $600-$800? To start out, i figure i'll just try .223 and .40 cal.

Would the Rockchucker Supreme kit from RCBS be a good choice? :dunno:

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. :patriot:

Be a bit more positive . LOL You said " try " at least twice. I would bet you will really enjoy it. I find when winter comes and my shooting slows, reloading is the next best thing !

If you are looking to reload both rifle and pistol, then the rockchucker would be a excellent choice. There is a great thread I think up in the stickies that will give you a good idea what all is needed. You could then go to midways site and price everything. I would think you could get started for what you are hoping for. ( And that would include a decent start on cases, bullets, ect )

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Here's a whole set up (scales, powder measure, hand primer, loading block, etc.) for a little over $300 bucks, but these are new. You can absolutely find used stuff way cheaper;
    RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA

All you'd need (other than a loading data book, like Lyman) are your dies and components...and a place to set it up. :)

That is the kit i've been looking at! ;) I really like the idea of getting everything i need in one kit, and I've already built a work bench in the garage i can use.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That is the kit i've been looking at! ;) I really like the idea of getting everything i need in one kit, and I've already built a work bench in the garage i can use.

That would be a great kit ! One thing to remember is many things are interchangable. This can possibly allow you to save down the road. One example is RCBS dies I don't believe include a shell holder. If you think you will eventually load several calibers, might be wise to look into the Lee shell holder complete set. (11 total for around $20.00) The Lee shell holders for the press are compatiable with the rockchucker. The Lee shell holders for the Lee hand prime will not work with the RCBS handprimer tho, but you could use the press shell holders.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Be a bit more positive . LOL You said " try " at least twice. I would bet you will really enjoy it. I find when winter comes and my shooting slows, reloading is the next best thing !

If you are looking to reload both rifle and pistol, then the rockchucker would be a excellent choice. There is a great thread I think up in the stickies that will give you a good idea what all is needed. You could then go to midways site and price everything. I would think you could get started for what you are hoping for. ( And that would include a decent start on cases, bullets, ect )

I have probably read link's thread 50 times, lol. :D I guess i'm still a little nervous, but don't know why.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have probably read link's thread 50 times, lol. :D I guess i'm still a little nervous, but don't know why.

It's great information.

Don't be nervous. Just be cautious and read and ask. I would not hesitate at all to buy that kit. I have had a rockchucker since mid 80's and will never get rid of it. I also have a Lee turret for handgun loading, but use the rockchucker for rifle and for developing new loads for handgun. Since you mentioned both rifle and pistol, it's a no brainer... That kit has your name on it ! That press will outlast both of us.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Get a single stage and start. If you want to/ need to upgrade later, you only nee to replace the press. Unless you need a bunch of ammo fast, a single will do fine. If you plan on FNS, IDPA, or any of the other events that use a lot of ammo, go with a progressive. I can (and do) load everything from 9mm up to 30-06, with an old single I got used here. One thing you need not scrimp on... loading manual.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    I was in your shoes a few months ago. Bouth the Lee Classic Turret press. I'm loving it so far. Can be operated in single stage mode in the beginning while you learn what's going on.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'd strongly suggest starting on a single stage setup like everyone else has. That being said, you could get pretty close to a very nice dillon setup for the money you're talking about.

PeacekeeperMX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    I started with the RCBS kit a long time ago and it's great stuff! Highly recommended and no regrets here. The Rockchucker is very heavy duty & will last you a lifetime. You'll be amazed how easy this really is once you get through it. Caution & Patience! :patriot:

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I would also recommend the Lee 4 hole Turret. You can operate in single stage and when and never have to remove the dies once set up. Should be able to load about 100 rounds of pistol an hour. Once you decide you like reloading you can jump up to a Dillon 650 with all the goodies and do 600 rounds an hour.

I would start with the Lee 4 hole turret with powder drop and primer seater, Scale (I have both and like the digital), loading manual, bullet puller, Lee brass rifle trimmer, powder funnel, extra turret heads for each set of dies.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Reloading costs...

Here are some examples:

Powder $24/lb
    Bullets $12/100 55gr FMJ
    Primers $30/1000

Discounting the brass since it is reused.

I am loading 26 gr of powder

My .223's are $0.24 ea That's $4.80 per box in brass cases.

45 acp cast Bullets:
    3.5 gr of powder

My loads are $0.12 ea. That's $6.00 a box.

Tell me reloading isn't worth it!

Maddawg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Lexington,IN
    I just happen to have a Hornady progressive press for sale....I got a new one and dont need two...this one has the box and all accessories and a few upgrades as well...totally progressive...just need dies powder measure and a few shell plates and ready to go ... :welcome:

Top Bottom