• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I'm not a fan of killing animals. I've tried it, and it's just not for me. However, coons could probably get me to enjoy it.

As a kid, my favorite uncle took me coon hunting a couple of times. He and his buddies would haul us all out into the middle of nowhere and turn the dogs loose. The baying of the red ticks, blue ticks and black-n-tans could be heard for miles. Then, we'd grab the big flashlights and go traipsing off into the woods to find the dogs. My uncle and his buddies would break out the beer and have a jolly old time. We would eventually track down all the dogs and corral them into the backs of the trucks, but not for hours. Never did see any coons.

The way I see it, raccoons owe me several hours of my childhood. They lured the hounds all over the woods, made me tromp through the brambles and mud for hours, and we never shot a single one. I'm not sure that they really exist ...

However, if I ever DO see one ... it's no more Mr. Nice Guy. :draw:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Marshmallows (even generic ones) smeared with a bit of peanut butter makes an excellent bait in the live trap. It also does not attract pet cats or dogs like some other baits do. If you are releasing a coon, take it AT LEAST 5 miles away or it will be back the next day. I take them at least 10 miles just to be safe if I am releasing...that also happens to be a spot where I have permission to take them so works well. With the cost of gas these days, the 22 is cheaper so now I just dispatch them and dump them for the coyotes to dine on in the back 40 or bury them if the ground isn't frozen.

I trapped 27 of them in my chicken coop last year alone...they are everywhere!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pops heard scratching under his house, told him gimme a flashlight and a High Standard and I'll go under and get it..........of course my ol' lady threw a fit and there was no fun for me.

I'll set a 110 down there and see what gets nailed. 'Coon, possum or cat..........it's all good!

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    comanche: Looks like the one I caught. Practically destroyed the trap trying to get out. I let it go 5 miles away and the wife said I should have shot it. Go Figure!

ar1973

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Story ,IN
    I belive the law states it has to be released in the same county. for fear of spreading rabies .
    but dont be a bad neibor and drop your problems on someone else .
    Id stick a skunk in youre car if you dropped a coon near my house.
    turn about is fair play.

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    Carry it at least 10 miles or it will come back. I trapped about 25 at my last house and could not get them all. Good luck. Cat food works best for bait.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Marshmallows (even generic ones) smeared with a bit of peanut butter makes an excellent bait in the live trap. It also does not attract pet cats or dogs like some other baits do. If you are releasing a coon, take it AT LEAST 5 miles away or it will be back the next day. I take them at least 10 miles just to be safe if I am releasing...that also happens to be a spot where I have permission to take them so works well!
    This^^^ I was also gonna add that bacon with bread makes great bait...but then I remembered this was INGO and that just wouldn't work.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    My brother in Cleveland has great success shooting them with a pellet gun. He trees them with his dogs and then waits a moment to shine a light up in the tree. Critters would live if they didn't look down at him every time. Now he just has to get the crazy neighbor to stop feeding them.

Top Bottom