• ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    When I was a reserve, I had complaints of me speeding with lights / siren activated on a run. The old chief would tell them to take up with the law enforcement training board as I should know better to go on a call without consulting the complainant if it was okay for me to go 31 in a 30 posted zone to a multiple injury accident, bank hold-up alarm or other dangerous situation involving time of the essence. He was such a smartass that he was well thought of with his officers.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Let's see... in no particular order

1. -1 neg rep - I thought this was New Haven, IN... so disappointed.
    2. This is one of the worst channels I've seen (and I watch a lot of these)
    3. Is this an East Coast thing? I know it's a super small sample size, but you compare this guy to cops in the Midwest.... some of them can take hell and still be midwest nice.
    4. Looking forward to where this thread goes.
    5. Mezcal Old Fashioned - Mezcal, simple syrup, Aztec Chocolate Bitters is what I'm drinking tonight.
    6. I hope the cop is on blood pressure meds.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Because we're "professionals" and internalize it, shortening our lifespans and becoming cynical assholes with rare exception. The number of officers who work the street or major investigations for any length of time who truly didn't seem effected by it are saints and mystics as far as I can tell. **** like: https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...om-crying-cops-say.529482/page-2#post-9384601 I mean, you see people worked up just from *reading about it* now imagine seeing it. Routinely.

It's the best ****tiest job on the planet, but it takes a real toll. Especially if you don't have a solid support system behind you and the ability to know how to use it.
    The number of Border patrol agents that have committed suicide this year speaks to how stressful and difficult law enforcement careers are. Most of the counties in Indiana are still somewhat calm but what the officers on IMPD are living through has to be hell on earth for those that aren't as BBIs said, saints or mystics.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Because we're "professionals" and internalize it, shortening our lifespans and becoming cynical a-holes with rare exception. The number of officers who work the street or major investigations for any length of time who truly didn't seem effected by it are saints and mystics as far as I can tell. **** like: https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...om-crying-cops-say.529482/page-2#post-9384601 I mean, you see people worked up just from *reading about it* now imagine seeing it. Routinely.

It's the best ****tiest job on the planet, but it takes a real toll. Especially if you don't have a solid support system behind you and the ability to know how to use it.
    Former college roommate of mine was, at the time, one of the youngest dudes to have taken/passed the IMPD detective exam - much to the chagrin of MANY other people. I think his first gig was either vice/sex crimes and then to homicide. May be reversed.

Anyhow - I think he was a detective for 5-6 years before he'd had enough. He's now some kind of shift sgt and no longer a detective.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Former college roommate of mine was, at the time, one of the youngest dudes to have taken/passed the IMPD detective exam - much to the chagrin of MANY other people. I think his first gig was either vice/sex crimes and then to homicide. May be reversed.

Anyhow - I think he was a detective for 5-6 years before he'd had enough. He's now some kind of shift sgt and no longer a detective.

Probably Sex Crimes then Homicide, which is the second most common route. Agg Assault/Robbery to Homicide is the most common and used to be the only route. Due to staffing concerns and other issues, only very recently has IMPD Homicide taken people from any other route with exceedingly rare exception (like I know of 2 in 30 years or so).

And we don't actually have a "detective exam". Each unit runs it's own selection process and it can be as formal or informal as the leadership of that unit wants it to be. It could be as simple as grabbing a known good officer, an oral board, some combination of oral board and written exercise, etc. We're starting to firm up a more universal process, but detective for us is a position, not a rank, so there's no format like there is for sergeant, etc. That also means there's no set career path, once you are promoted you go anywhere. I've went Ops->Invest->Ops->Invest as Ptl, Det, Sgt, Lt respectively.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    And we don't actually have a "detective exam". Each unit runs it's own selection process and it can be as formal or informal as the leadership of that unit wants it to be. It could be as simple as grabbing a known good officer, an oral board, some combination of oral board and written exercise, etc. We're starting to firm up a more universal process, but detective for us is a position, not a rank, so there's no format like there is for sergeant, etc. That also means there's no set career path, once you are promoted you go anywhere. I've went Ops->Invest->Ops->Invest as Ptl, Det, Sgt, Lt respectively.
    Ah! Thanks for the education on that. I'm pretty ignert about it.
    I do know, though, that many of his co-workers weren't that happy about it....and many who were already detectives weren't happy with it - because he was so young.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ah! Thanks for the education on that. I'm pretty ignert about it.
    I do know, though, that many of his co-workers weren't that happy about it....and many who were already detectives weren't happy with it - because he was so young.

Historically there's been a culture of you needed 5 years on the street before you should apply to go inside, especially as a detective. It's not so much about age, it's about having that base of experience under you. That was a good times rule. These are not the good times. Police departments are having trouble recruiting and specialty units are having trouble getting cops. It's tough to overstate the demand and strain placed on major felony detectives and a lot of cops just don't want the extra strain over an already stressful job.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My youngest sister worked about 500+ murder investigations as a detective in Jacksonville,Fl.
    A few years back she had enough and left, she now teaches forensics and does some tv work. Those years didnt make her cynical.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hate profanity while working. It's rarely useful. Professionals suck it up and act like professionals, regardless of personal issues or feelings.
    I get it...it's the rant so many wish they could let loose with, but control themselves because they are professionsals...

...but that didn't hinder the irrational amount of joy I got from watching the video.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I hate profanity while working. It's rarely useful. Professionals suck it up and act like professionals, regardless of personal issues or feelings.

It doesn't bother me at all. Until I read your post, it didn't really even occur to me that he used profanity in the video. I swear like two sailors in a swearing contest, but I'm getting transferred to days next year and will have to try to keep it at a low roar.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to be more profane, both on and off duty, but I dramatically reduced both for two main reasons. The first was evidence I found compelling that use of force incidents were consistently viewed as "more forceful" by onlookers when profanity was dubbed over the exact same video vs no-profanity and then getting promoted and wanting to reinforce that to my guys.

I don't feel the lack.

Top Bottom