• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I had mentioned this gun in another post and here it is. I had to do a total cosmetic and mechanical make-over.

It was purchased covered in rust and non functional. The only reason I bought it was I couldn't get over the factory muzzle brake.

These are a Squires Bingham pattern made in the Philippines and imported through San Francisco back in the early 60's and sold through Kmart.

This one is known as a Model 20D. I have since located a plain Model 20 and the differences are the stock, a front ramp sight very similar to a Remington and no muzzle brake.

This one has some 'local wood' for the stock, very unusual with a twisting grain and white and orange/brown streaks. I used walnut stain to tame it down. It was not properly cured (as if that is possible in the Philippines) and has two 'check' cracks in the butt.

Mechanically it was a nightmare up to and including someone inserted two small tacks in the magazine. I had to 'tune' the mouth of the mag, free up all the internals and do extractor work because it would try to feed a new shell and the old empty at the same time. Many stove pipes and double feeds and even a few 'short strokes'. Now it runs like a sewing machine.

DSC05907.JPG
    DSC05908.JPG

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I have a Model 20 that was my first gun. I have since lost the magazine and the barrel is not straight on it. I would love to get it back in working order to give to my daughter. I doubt the cost to repair vs value ratio is too good though. Good to see someone else rocking one of these. Anyone know of someone who could fix the barrel on the cheap would be rad for sure.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have a Model 20 that was my first gun. I have since lost the magazine and the barrel is not straight on it. I would love to get it back in working order to give to my daughter. I doubt the cost to repair vs value ratio is too good though. Good to see someone else rocking one of these. Anyone know of someone who could fix the barrel on the cheap would be rad for sure.
    I have a donor that could make it happen. A local spent $50 getting a new mag for one and gave up on it, I got the whole box for $80.

It would be an honor to help you out...

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I am 4 counties south of you in Crawford County. I am serious.

I will start a conversation with you to work things out.
    Thank you again to you and your buddies for taking the time to make a beat up old gun into a shooter again. I am excited to hand this down to my daughter and to see the look on her face when I do. It is important to me (as it is to a lot of us) to get the next generation interested in shooting sports as I was when I was a kid.

Also, thank you for taking the time to educate me on the proper ammo, takedown procedure and history on this. This forum is a great reminder that there are decent people in this world and if you don't act like you know everything, you might just learn something once in a while!

Top Bottom