• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I just had my semiannual checkup and nobody asked me any questions about my mental health. The closest it ever came to was when they asked if I was in any physical pain during the screening prior to seeing the Doc.

I think this may have to do with vets that put themselves on the skyline. Like telling the Doc you are depressed, having PTSD related problems. If you having such problems you need help. I am not a doctor and hope that the only vets getting a letter like this might be guys that really need to stop and think if they are in a good enough state to carry. There are some really messed up vets out here, that need help. I hope they get the help without a good dose of rights infringement.

Last edited:

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    The sad part is the vets fight on the field to protect the Constitution, and Obummer doesn't want you to us it.

Also to all the vets here, Thank You, your appreciated.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    There are "Help A Vet Who's In Trouble" pamphlets ...

.... and pens and bumper-stickers for Vets who may be self-harming-capable; why not pick up THIS ball and help a Vet keep his sanity and gun-owning capability / right by some judicious personal 1-on-1 talking? Of course, I would suggest that you do it without chancing an encounter like the one that killed the famous Navy Seal Sniper. He just WAS NOT SAFE OR WISE. (Yet I wonder whether those two were shot in the back.) Most people -- not even PTSD individuals -- DON'T just snap! These "letters" all are 2d or 3d hand; has anyone actually gotten or seen one? Also "PTSD" is not just about war-zone survivors.
    I just has my semiannual checkup and nobody asked me any questions about my mental health. The closest it ever came to was when they asked if I was in any physical pain during the screening prior to seeing the Doc.

I think this may have to do with vets that put themselves on the skyline. Like telling the Doc you are depressed, having PTSD related problems. If you having such problems you need help. I am not a doctor and hope that the only vets getting a letter like this might be guys that really need to stop and think if they are in a good enough state to carry. There are some really messed up vets out here, that need help. I hope they get the help without a good dose of rights infringement.

kimbercollector

Marksman
    Rating - 96.1%
    49   2   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    North East Indianapolis, IN
    It appears that one must be deemed or diagnosed as incompetent...a simple diagnosis of ptsd doesnt seem to fit the brady bill on my quick look into the topic...if the wizzard gets you signed off as mentally incompetent and a judge backs them up...then I forsee trouble but the standard service connected ptsd is not relevant on the 4473.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Once i heard there had a new classification of a disease that was anything that made you mad or upset could classify you with a mental illness, I called my doctor and stopped my anxiety meds(zoloft, nothing to strong, vitamin B12 does the same) I didnt want them coming after my LTCH. Maybe paranoid, don't know since I'm off my meds, lol

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012

I am confused. I may or may not have a family member who is a 'Nam vet and a gun owner. He does use the VA and is permanently disabled, and receives benefits. Is this saying he is not allowed to own his firearms? Or is this only for those vets who receive benefits for a mental disability?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I am confused. I may or may not have a family member who is a 'Nam vet and a gun owner. He does use the VA and is permanently disabled, and receives benefits. Is this saying he is not allowed to own his firearms? Or is this only for those vets who receive benefits for a mental disability?

Read the below thread, it should fill in the blanks for you.

Relevant discussion:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rom_va_prohibiting_ownership_of_firearms.html

Glad to see that someone is standing up to them.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I need to use the VA for my Health issures, because Obama has cost me my Job and Job Chances. I've been unemployed sincd January 2009. Sucks, donuts?

Anyway, no one at the VA has asked me about my Political Stance or if I am a Firearm Owner. The VA does not ask about my mental state either because my Mom sent a certified letter from Our Family's Attornies to all my Doctors Certifying me as sane.

She had me tested in the 5th, 9th and 12th Grades. She latter told me they were my IQ tests and my SAT and ACT Exams. Yes, I did well in all.

If anyone has a cause for complaining, I do. Agent Orange is racking my body with pain and numbness. Believe it or not, numbness does not lessen the pain.

Sucks, donuts.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    With ya' Bro !

Yup, A.O. sucks big. And battle-dreams send the family scurrying off to the Psychs telling on your unconscious. I don't remember but one nightmare, but when my wife told the "V.A. Social Worker" (Øbama was a Social Worker, remember?) that I was having continuing nightmares, it was suggested that I get all of my weaponry out of the house. It took me $400 and a writ of replevin to get them all back, and it still tore up the family. NO ...NO-ONE understands the wrack of ptsd. To me, THEY are crazy, and I have the only handle on REAL life, since I lived in it. And still am. "Try not thinking about things and it'll be O.K." THANK YOU for serving; I was in EYE-corps, where were you??
    I need to use the VA for my Health issures, because Obama has cost me my Job and Job Chances. I've been unemployed sincd January 2009. Sucks, donuts? She had me tested in the 5th, 9th and 12th Grades. She latter told me they were my IQ tests and my SAT and ACT Exams. Yes, I did well in all.

If anyone has a cause for complaining, I do. Agent Orange is racking my body with pain and numbness. Believe it or not, numbness does not lessen the pain.

Sucks, donuts.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I think this is tide up with the mental health issue. There are tons of PTSD and some might not be suitable to own a FA.

Sad, but true. I believe in gun ownership as much as anyone here but just a couple of weeks ago Chris Dorner was killed by a vet he was trying to help who had PTSD.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I did some research into this. You have to be found incompetent to handle your finances. If found incompetent they'll set up a Fiduciary with your wife, family member, or someone of the VA's choosing. After that, the veteran will be in jeopardy of loosing his or hers right to bear arms. That is, for now, how its going.

Top Bottom