• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    By stepping into the wayback machine run by Mister Wizard I can still hear the old master saying "martial arts are very good, but useless against the styles of Smith and Wesson, Buick, or Mack...if someone is trying to shoot or drive over you; you must find another way."

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm coming up on 50. I have bad knees and ankles, and a bad shoulder.
    Since I wasn't trained by Navy SEALS and my body is a wreck, I guess I'm just a gunstore commando.

:rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd like to know what you think.

1. The linked to website is nonsense.

2. Of course being physically fit is important.

3. Many of us here do work out (look at all the work out, bike, running threads here) and many here do enjoy martial arts (I am old so it is mostly about friends).

4. The fight is the fight. The fight is not good, not bad, it just is, to quote Bruce Lee "be water, my friend".

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    :laugh: One of my favorite movies scenes ever!

I particularly like the backstory behind that scene. It was supposed to feature fighting using the whip against the swordsman. Harrison Ford had been sick and was feeling particularly bad that day and ad-libbed on the spot what became a truly iconic scene.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I particularly like the backstory behind that scene. It was supposed to feature fighting using the whip against the swordsman. Harrison Ford had been sick and was feeling particularly bad that day and ad-libbed on the spot what became a truly iconic scene.

I noticed that on your link, below the video. They said he had dysentery. Poor guy. Great scene though!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I noticed that on your link, below the video. They said he had dysentery. Poor guy. Great scene though!

I guess you caught me not paying attention. I hadn't looked since I already knew what I was looking for so far as the video was concerned. Being an actor isn't always the sissy job it appears to outsiders!

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I guess you caught me not paying attention. I hadn't looked since I already knew what I was looking for so far as the video was concerned. Being an actor isn't always the sissy job it appears to outsiders!

LOL...heck, I barely saw it. I've always liked Harrison Ford. Although I don't know him from Adam, he's always seemed like a genuine fella.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    And yet firearms are successfully employed for self defense on a daily basis.

so true... when reading the daily accounts at places such as gunssavelives.com the people defending themselves are just ordinary people who find a way to rise to the occasion.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    While there is certainly a lot to be said for being in shape and able to defend yourself in other ways than using a gun, there are many who for a myriad of reasons are not so physically fit or skilled in hand to hand self defense tactics. To me that sounds like a good reason to have a gun handy, not a dis-qualifier.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    i think if i'm unarmed, and someone ten feet away starts to draw a pistol, i'm going to consider that ten feet a head start. an inadequate head start, but a head start none the less.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Ergo the old masters advise. It's always better to shoot them or drive over them before engaging in physical conflict... there are many ways to win, and just and just as many to lose.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    i think if i'm unarmed, and someone ten feet away starts to draw a pistol, i'm going to consider that ten feet a head start. an inadequate head start, but a head start none the less.

A head start to what? At that distance unless the shooter is very slow to draw, you better just hope he hasn't decided to shoot or he misses. Just the reaction time (that you notice you're being drawn upon) alone is time enough for a good pistoleer to draw and get a shot off. You will find this is true even if you are doing a drill and you know that at some point your buddy is gonna draw and pop you with an airsoft pellet.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    A head start to what? At that distance unless the shooter is very slow to draw, you better just hope he hasn't decided to shoot or he misses. Just the reaction time (that you notice you're being drawn upon) alone is time enough for a good pistoleer to draw and get a shot off. You will find this is true even if you are doing a drill and you know that at some point your buddy is gonna draw and pop you with an airsoft pellet.

It took me a few reads, but I'm guessing he's planning to run. An excellent idea if one is found in that situation.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It took me a few reads, but I'm guessing he's planning to run. An excellent idea if one is found in that situation.

Most of the people (criminals) who will be shooting at you probably barely know how to use their weapons let alone be effective much beyond a short distance. Running improves the chance that they'll miss so if you are unarmed running is indeed a valid option. Being shot at is never good...

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    that is indeed what i meant. if i'm unarmed, and someone well outside of arm's length initiates a draw, i'm going to be exiting stage right as quickly as my legs will carry me, while imploring all the gods i can think of to make sure he's a poor marksman.

Top Bottom