to live without, beside the
    obvious toilet paper, etc. ?

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Well, that was just a picture I found. Not sure I would try to store twinkies (mostly because they are not my favorite to start with so...). I wouldn't mind seeing how long some of the chocolate would last though. I would be nervous about anything with nuts because sometimes the oils in nuts get nasty. I do think that this might be a good experiment to do with some of the candy I get after the holidays. After a year or two I could do a blind taste test with the kids, I am sure they wouldn't mind.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Peppermints/jolly ranchers and the like might keep if properly sealed up. We have had raisins in the box on the shelf for near a year and they held up but were near the end. If sealed up in a mason jar they could last a very long time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would give up a lot if I had to go without candy for any amount of time!! What would you not want to live without, beside the obvious toilet paper, etc. ?

I am curious. How far would you debase yourself for candy if you ran out during SHTF? Would you be willing to stoop so far as doing dishes or shoveling out the barn?

( I couldn't resist an opportunity to be a wise guy after getting lambasted on another thread for suggesting bartering the manual labor of the empty handed for food and/or other supplies, thus replacing the expended stock preferably with increase for both parties rather than simply giving stuff away)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Peppermints/jolly ranchers and the like might keep if properly sealed up. We have had raisins in the box on the shelf for near a year and they held up but were near the end. If sealed up in a mason jar they could last a very long time.

I never thought about that. Given that candy does not tolerate heat, do you suppose you could put them in the jar and apply heat to the seal, say with a torch, and make it actually seal rather than just compressing it by tightening the lid?

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    I would think the knowledge of how to make them is more valuable that a few pounds in storage. Sugar stores for many years, plus there are a lot of sources in nature for sugar and sweeteners that can be harvested. Tree sap is common throughout most of the country, and things like mesquite beans in the west. Mesquite beans are a sweetener and an appetite suppressant. Most candy is pretty easy to make. There are many copycat recipes online.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Ha, ha...... I would already be doing the dishes anyway and I do not think that I am above any kind of manual labor. I mean there are things, of course, that I would not do for moral reasons, but I was thinking about trading goods for goods. As I would willingly give away all of the liquor I had for an equal amount of candy, as I can't stand the taste of booze. I also agree with Gordy, the knowledge and supplies for making your own is worth way more than a jar or two on the shelf. I also realize that if things got really bad it would take me awhile to adjust to cooking just the basics in a new way. So I would need a small supply to get me by until I felt like I could spare the time to make non-essential food. I know that I can "live" without candy, but if I am going to prepare then I want to make my and my kids hard time just a little easier and enjoyable.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Once you purge sugar from your diet you won't desire it near as much and quickly forget how good it is. At least thats what I'm telling myself as I start my diet this new year........

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Once you purge sugar from your diet you won't desire it near as much and quickly forget how good it is. At least thats what I'm telling myself as I start my diet this new year........

I agree, I did it for a year with success but then I started back with it and have not found the motivation to do it that way again. Back when I did it, I used artificial sugar to replace the regular, but now I am thinking the artificial is actually worse than just having regular in moderation. It's just that word moderation I seem to battle with at times. :-)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Q-tips. I can figure out how to live without toilet paper, but I'ma take an ice pick to my ears if I can't scratch 'em with a Q-tip.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Q-tips. I can figure out how to live without toilet paper, but I'ma take an ice pick to my ears if I can't scratch 'em with a Q-tip.

I have literally, literally, enough cotton swabs to last the rest of my life in storage, based on usage of 2 per day (after years of "calculation") and assuming I live to 70. I still buy them from the store when the box I'm on runs out. I ran out during a winter storm at college. Never again. Fork handles and unused pencils with tissue paper wrapped around the end are worthless.

Top Bottom