This truly insane... house after house invaded...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Holy moly. I wonder if these cops were just acting on their own or the orders came from higher up.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    It's wrongly styled as a 3rd Amendment claim.

I dunno, I can see the argument. It's all about how the court would define "soldier". I'm sure in their attorney's eyes it's worth a shot to see if it sticks.

I've never heard of a case quite like this. Back in the 80's there was something involving the national guard (which are state troops not federal) and the courts said the 3rd Amendment applied. Before that everyone assumed the 3rd amendment only applied to federal troops, so who knows. This case could set a precedent one way or the other. This is very interesting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why didnt this make any of the 24/7 news outlets?

Because it doesnt fit the narrative. Same reason you hardly hear about positive use of firearms in defensive situations. :dunno:

And it appears they went straight to the courts and didnt complain to media outlets. Granted I only did a half-assed search, but I could only find it referenced on other gun owner forums and sites that cover legal cases.

So either they kept their bacon hole shut and went straight for the lawsuit, or local media is in the pocket of the LEOs.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I dunno, I can see the argument. It's all about how the court would define "soldier". I'm sure in their attorney's eyes it's worth a shot to see if it sticks.

I've never heard of a case quite like this. Back in the 80's there was something involving the national guard (which are state troops not federal) and the courts said the 3rd Amendment applied. Before that everyone assumed the 3rd amendment only applied to federal troops, so who knows. This case could set a precedent one way or the other. This is very interesting.

Getting my opinion from a lawyer friend, but I'd love to present this as an example to him.

Can you find the case or some detail on it?

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Getting my opinion from a lawyer friend, but I'd love to present this as an example to him.

Can you find the case or some detail on it?

I did I quick google search and I m pretty sure Engblom vs Carey is what I'm thinking of. I read this just now on the wiki page:

"Rendered on May 3, 1982, the decision, written for the court by Judge Walter R. Mansfield, established that the National Guardsmen legally qualify as soldiers under the Third Amendment, that the amendment applies to state as well as federal authorities".

So "authorities", does that mean police officers? I hope this gets decided in court and doesn't just get settled outside of it. Let me know what your friend says!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    INGO LEOs: What possible justification can you even imagine for the conduct described in the OP's linked article?

Do you really expect an answer? :):

What do you want to bet that Kutnupe 14 will say its all ok? We, of course, just don't understand. Its all about officer safety. Much safer to bust into a home other than the one where the supposed domestic violence was occuring.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    That is just crazy, if it happened even remotely like the article said.
    Hard to claim we don't get to hear the other side of the story, so we don't really know what happened, with this one.
    I usually feel that way with all the other officer involved threads. But it is kind of hard to justify busting the neighbors door down and entering his home after he denied letting them use it without a warrant.
    I don't see any worthy justification from the cities' side.

If this was Indiana, this could have been a prime example of the new 'castle doctrine' laws in Indiana that allow defense against public officials. The second the door was busted in...

Top Bottom