• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What ammo are you using, jacketed, lead nose...,and did you clean the barrel before you started?

You really should run a brush and swab down the barrel after every few rounds.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just shoot it, and not from some silly sled.
    IMHO you should not have to brush and or swab every few rounds to maintain decent accuracy.
    You might have loose rings/base or something amiss inside the scope, or have a load that the rifle just hates (or a rifle problem),
    Or you might have none of the above and are just flinching.
    I've seen some Encores with questionably heavy triggers.

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    Thought the something free handed it and also let u buddys shoot 5 to 10 rounds a peace still all 5 and 6 inch groups. Trigger is heavy was going to lighten it up a bit gonna reload some more and try it agian

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What scope are you using?
    What ring and base?

Weaver type bases require the rings have their cross bolts up against the forward edge of the base slot.

Seen many a rig where folks didn't do that (and complain of accuracy issues).

If you did it all right the first time, swap the scope.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I have a Contender,Super 14 in 44 mag-------200 gr JHP--100yds--"all over the place"-----tried some 240gr JHP,=2,2 1/2"

Bullet weight and velocity MAY be the problem...

tallend

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In .44 handguns it seemed to me that the hotter I ran 'em the better they shot. I used 180-240 gr bullets, max charges of ball powders, and used a healthy crimp.

Man I do miss the smell of burnt WW296 on a cold November morning!

I might have to buy a 629 to make my nose happy :)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In .44 handguns it seemed to me that the hotter I ran 'em the better they shot. I used 180-240 gr bullets, max charges of ball powders, and used a healthy crimp.

+1 my experience also. The 10" barrel Dan Wesson shot like a rifle out at 200 yards when loaded "wide open throttle". My Super Red hawk is similar. My model 29 shot good hot, but got loose and worn pretty fast.

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    Talked to a decent tech from thompson center today about loads and as he said go with a 240 xtp. he has loaded a bit of everything 44 wise last year for his wifes and said the 240 should take my pattern to 2 inches or less. so now to find some lead

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well... my .02 cents worth from shooting a couple Encores over the years is if the barrel isn't free floated and your touching the forearm it will be all over the place and sometimes if the locking bolt spring is too light it will also effect poi poa.

Mike Bellm is a wealth of information on the encore/contenders and sales heavy springs to solid up the lockup between barrel and frame.

Home

As to free floating the forearm, Bullberry barrel works makes and offers a hanger system which gets the forearm away from the barrel.

Bullberry Barrel Works - Hanger System

The rest of the ideas on here are also good things to look at but these two are bilt in issues with the type of action you are using and would directly effect accuracy out of the firearm...

Hope that helps...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got around 1.5" @135 yds from my Super 14 in .35 rem with scope at 2.5X and shooting Creedmoor (reg WW factory ammo).
    No free float and factory ammo.

Current easy open frame w Super 16 in rifle form is under MOA. No free float.

Are Encores more picky than Contenders?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I've noticed that if I cradle the forearm/barrel with a shooting stick or bag or even a bipod without free floating the bbl I get a spread of shots. Not as much of a problem when in pistol configuration with a shorter bbl as it isn't touching anything.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2021
    Brazil
    As with any new barrels you should clean it well after every group using good quality solvent and a good quality bore cleaning paste I use brownells bore paste. you need to do this to clean up the micro machining marks left in the barrel

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    If barrel isnt new, maybe a bad barrel. I shoot a 308 pistol ENCORE frame, at 50 yards and I get tight groups , just guessing.I do have a scope on it.You might have a defective new barrel ?

Top Bottom