Those of you with children, how/when did you teach them about firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I got back into shooting with a 22 rifle when my youngest was about 6. I took all 3 of the kids to the range and started out putting a single shell in the rifle, teaching them safety rules, muzzle control, etc. They all knew there was no joking around, and that the first safety infraction put them in the car until the rest of us were done shooting. A year or so later, my middle son was shooting in bowling pin competition shoots with a 22 pistol by the time he was 10. For the first couple times, I was hovering over him with my hands right beside his to guarantee the muzzle would stay down range. After going a couple times, after the other shooters saw he was competent, I merely stood directly behind him in case of a jam. In that case, he would simply quit shooting, keep it pointed down range and wait for help.

As others have said, it really depends on the child. Don't be all proud parent and think they can do no harm, but really consider if they are ready. Don't rush it and take it easy with them. If started off right shooting can be a great relationship builder.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Drill a small hole in a small plastic toy gun and put in enough BBs to make a good rattle. Glue a cover over the hole and paint the Rattlegun a bright yellow. You can use it to teach gun safety. Makes a great toy and totally ticks off your liberal anti-gun friends and relatives.

Life is Good. :>)

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Ages 3 & 4 is when I started.
    I started by reciting the rules and letting them hold. Taught them never to touch without an adult present.

I would let them look and hold whenever they asked in order to help take away the mystery of firearms.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    My oldest is 15 months now, so we are a little ways away before we can do any actual training, but I was curious as to how and when you started introducing your children to firearms? When did you let them shoot their first gun? When did you get them a BB gun? When did you let them see one of yours?

Hmmm ... We've always had firearms in the house since before the kids were born. Neither of them had a BB gun as children although they were able to shoot BB guns as Scouts. (They are 24 & 20 now.) My son was able to shoot at Boy Scout camp. And my daughter was on her high school rifle team.

My daughter is more interested in guns than my son, actually. She has accompanied me to the range. And she wants a revolver. (Sadly, she will be heading off to grad school in the People's Republic of Illinois this fall, so that probably negates her ability to carry a revolver in the near future).

I was recently thinking of a conversation I had with my son when he was in elementary school. He came home all upset about how terrible guns were & how people shouldn't have them. I asked him "What if someone was trying to hurt you or your mother or your sister and a policeman with a gun stopped the attack? Or what if I had a gun and prevented this person from hurting you?" By the end of the convo, he was no longer ready to join the Brady Bunch.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    They all get the talk about not touching and to find an adult if they see one as early as possible. My son starting shooting his .22 at 5.

Top Bottom