Thought I was going to have to draw......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yes a few days ago I thought I was going to have to draw my gun. Freaked me out.

I was bike riding in Muncie on the trail that runs through town. Well we came to a rest point and my buddy and I sat down for a minute. These two punk kids came out of the woods and started talking to us. You didn't have to be a LEO or Doctor to tell that they were higher than a kite. Well one kid starts asking me all kinds of random questions and keeps getting closer and closer. I started to get worried but I didn't even think about pulling my gun until the Moron reached in the front of his pants. All I seen was a square print in his shirt. I couldn't confirm it was a gun but I was not going to take that chance. I went for my gun that was in my back (and made it very obvious doing so), I told the kid to back off, and take his hands out of pants if he didn't want to get shot. I think it scared him more than me because he turned white as a ghost and threw his hands up. He asked me if I was a cop and at the time I thought it would be better to keep that bit of infomation unknown. I told the kid to get the heck away and he took off like a bat out of hell. Of course I didn't think to bring my cell phone on me so I couldn't call the Police until I got back home.

I'll tell you what though it scared the bejesus out of me. You know you carry for that moment but I can honestly say I hope I never have to be put in that situation again.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You're probably going to get flamed...

But not from me.

You went home safe... kid went home safe... buddy went home safe...

Win...win...win.

You'll replay that in your mind for MONTHS and it'll probably keep you awake a few nights.

I think you did fine. Your situational awareness worked and MAY have saved everyone involved a whole heaping helping of hurt and heartache.

-J-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Agreed. And no flame.

We can all second guess others, but while I may carry a gun it is certainly my hope and prayer that I never have to actually use it.

That kid may have learned a good lesson . . . scared straight as the saying goes. Well maybe that is a bit optimistic to think he was scared straight, but maybe, just maybe you planted a kernel of doubt in his mind that will grow into something over time and help straighten him out eventually. Nothing like a good scare to teach a criminal (or potential criminal) a lesson that they may want to reconsider their profession.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You did fine. You did file a report, right? How did that go?

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    I say GOOD JOB. Situation diffused without drawing a weapon. Makes me wonder how many times a day that happens around the country. Hopefully the kids :poop: themselves and learned something.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I agree, you did good not losing your cool. I've been there before and its hard not to loose your cool but you just have to maintain your awarness and remain calm.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    You did fine. You did file a report, right? How did that go?
    I'm not sure why he would file a report. I guess I need educated here...
    Now law was broken (other than suspected drug use), no weapons were seen. And there is no brandishing law in Indiana. If you want to play devil's advocate, there might be an intimidation charge somewhere.

With that said, Good job, I see no problems with what happened at all! :rockwoot:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm not sure why he would file a report. I guess I need educated here...
    Now law was broken (other than suspected drug use), no weapons were seen. And there is no brandishing law in Indiana. If you want to play devil's advocate, there might be an intimidation charge somewhere.

With that said, Good job, I see no problems with what happened at all! :rockwoot:

First person to call the cops gets to play the victim. More than one bad guy has done exactly this.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    You didn't do anything wrong and they immediately complied and showed that there was some sense left in them. You probably scared the **** out of the stoner, who was likley going for his smokes (square print). Although coulda ben OC or stun gun robbery attempt.
    Did you feel like you were being cased or walked up upon for some crime?
    Did they look like stoners or tweakers? The latter would rob/kill/whatever the former was likely needing a light or a mountain dew and fritos.

It was a good non draw!

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    NO FLAMES HERE

YOU KNOW YOU ARE ALWAYS TAUGHT TO NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER.BUT SOMETIMES WE ARE PUT IN SITUATIONS AS TO WHERE YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO DO THE JUDGING.YOU HERE STUFF ALL THE TIME IN INDY WHERE PEOPLE WERE BEAT AND ROBBED ON THE MONON TRAIL.SO I THINK IN YOUR SITUATION YOU DONE THE RIGHT THING,IT COULD HAVE GOT UGLY REAL UGLY.:twocents:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Great job. He can't confirm, or deny you had a firearm or that you were, or were not a LEO.

You diffused with your voice and effectively eliminated what you perceived was a potential threat.

No one was harmed, I think it's awesome.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Let's see . . .

1. You went home safely and unharmed
    2. Your wallet went home with you
    3. You didn't have to hurt anyone
    4. You didn't go to jail.

I'd say that's just about ideal. Way to keep a good head on your shoulders!

Top Bottom