• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    I'm looking at keeping a gun in my jeep inside a lock box under the seat. Is there anything I should consider when it comes to choosing a gun? In other words should I avoid a plastic gun and go for a metal frame or vise versa? I'm sure it will get very hot in the summer and humid. Same thing for the winter being extremely cold. What handguns have you had good success with in your vehicle?
    I was thinking of buying another one of my existing guns to keep things simple as they say. Will it need to be removed and cleaned more regularly than a typical carry gun?

My searching the forums never works well for me so if you have a link to another thread please let me know.

Thanks

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would make sure the lock box is securely bolted down....and is quite secure. I would think any gun that would make a reliable carry gun from a quality manufacturer would do fine. I am partial to S&W M&Ps and being coated stainless steel and polymer won't hurt. I would consider a desiccant pouch, changed every 3 or 4 months and shooting the carry ammo out once a year, not that it won't last longer, but hey, why not? I would shoot the gun more often than that, though, and clean it after you shoot it. To me, I'd just treat it like my carry gun.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Any EDC thread I would think, as they show you a variety of weapons INGOER'S use,

http://
    2njk7li.jpg

what I have is a used G-22 with (6) mags loaded with FED 180 HST, winter/spring/summer/fall over ten years now, and i shoot it now and then about four or five times a yaer in rotation, never had a problem, and I do rotate out the ammo as I shoot it.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    The box is actually bolted to the frame under the seat. Nearly invisible when closed and pretty decent gauge steel though I don't remember how thick off hand.

What about leaving it loaded? I know I can carry a handgun loaded on my person, but does that also extend to a gun that is stored in a vehicle? If not can the loaded mag be in the box with it?

I'm sure these questions have been asked many times but I'd rather be cautious at the outset and be legal.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Also, a revolver wpuld be a good option. no parts under strain while it sits (no hammers or strikers under spring pressure, etc.)

Also, weight wouldn't matter, so a heavy steel 4", 5", or 6" revolver woulf be a fine option.

As others mentioned, find a trade in cop gun - old glock, etc as another good option

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...What about leaving it loaded? I know I can carry a handgun loaded on my person, but does that also extend to a gun that is stored in a vehicle? If not can the loaded mag be in the box with it?...

This not legal advice, but here is how I think through similar issues for my own purposes.

If it were me, I would ask myself a couple of questions: 1) Does anyone else use my car without me there and would they have access to the box? If so, then they must have a LTCH. If not, I have to take the gun out when they use it. 2) am I going out of state? If so, I am not going to take for granted that what I do in Indiana is legal there. Chances are it's not.

An unloaded gun is of little use and I don't count on having time to load it. If the idea is to have a "just in case" gun in the vehicle apart from my carry gun and I have time to get it out of the lock box and load, I start wondering why I don't have a carbine.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Not to derail your thread, but is this in a Wrangler? Any chance you could post some more info on the box? I have a Wrangler, and I've been looking for a way to securely store a firearm when I can't have it on me.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I used the Tuffy drawer in my old TJ and it fit a G19 and extra mag just fine. If I got a Jeep again I'd definitely get another Tuffy drawer.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-285-tuffy-tj-lj-conceal-carry-security-drawer-no-flip-seat.aspx

That is exactly what I'm looking for. So it just bolts into the existing seats frame? A would be thief could go through a undo the bolts and take the whole thing, but with me working downtown I'm more concerned with a smash and grab than anything else. The Jeep is parked in the garage at night so I wouldn't have to worry about someone taking their time at night either. Hmmmm...

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    What I have in my wrangle is a bestop under seat lock box from Amazon. Unless they have the tools and the time you won't get in quickly like you could with the glove box or center console. I store anything of value in there when needed. It has a lined bottom and is big enough for a gun and holster along with a multi tool. On my phone and not sure how to link, but part # is 42641-01. Easy install with the tools.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    While I would love to have an AR or similar, I just don't have anywhere in the jeep I would feel secure in storing it. I don't think there is a way to mount something like that and still be out of sight

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I also recommend the tuffy I just ordered a full length under rear seat box for my truck. Even with out the box I carry 2 glocks a kel Tec and a ar15 all loaded and with lots of extra loaded mags. I keep 7 loaded mags for the ar in a carrier in case I need to move around. An unloaded gun is worthless in my opinion. They all stay in the truck. I take them out to fire and clean. Maybe once a year or 2. I have not noticed any corrosion so far.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Hard to beat a Glock 22 police trade for a truck gun. 15 round .40 cal and they already have night sights.
    No worries on it getting hot. The plastic Interior trim in your Jeep will melt before a Glock would.
    Load up a couple extra mags with your favorite carry ammo and stow it.
    You wouldn't even have to worry about cleaning it all that often.
    Glocks were made for rugged use... perfect match for a Jeep.

Top Bottom