• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    With the rising cost of ammo and availibility of it. has anyone thinking of air guns for practice and worst case senario use for defensive purposes. Heck they got em up to 45 caliber now. Just something to ponder.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    You should check out the History of Air Guns. Lewis and Clark used a Air Guns when they went west. They didn't have to shoot any at Indians along the way. It is really neat. I have 2 air Rifles and they are really cheap to shoot. If you get the 45 Caliber or something that big it would cost about as much as a real rifle but the ammo is the real kicker. It's cheap and the air you use is from diving tanks. I would just check it out on You tube. I hope this helped.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Funny you should mention this.....I have been thinking the same thing. I seen a really nice Colt Combat Classic 1911, CO2, 400 fps, adj sights for only $100.00.

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Some of the new airguns are stupid powerful, shooting anything is fun. But as far as using them for defense goes.. well, if it will kill animals it will harm someone. If you are opposed to guns or something, why not?? Better than nothing.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Makes perfect sense for plinking and hunting. As far as defensive, I wouldn't rely on it. I know in the Napoleonic wars they had snipers with high powered air rifles but it's really a 1 shot deal.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Some of the new airguns are stupid powerful,
    And stupid accurate. I borrowed a friend's PCP that charges to 3,000 psi with a special compressor and tank. I set up at 30 yards and it was more accurate than any rimfire I own. He's got a 75 yard range in his back yard for it and shoots sub-MOA. What amazes me is what nice wood stocks they put on these things. Much nicer than the wood on most centerfire rifles.

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    The only air soft gun I would even think about ever getting is a mini-gun. They are pretty cool and real expensive....you tube has several videos.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    And stupid accurate. I borrowed a friend's PCP that charges to 3,000 psi with a special compressor and tank. I set up at 30 yards and was more accurate than any rimfire I own. He's got a 75 yard range in his back yard for it and shoots sub-MOA.
    I have a Crosman Storm XT break barrel. 1000+ fps with alloy ammo. I have hit dimes at 40yds. I put an old house key on the board at 40yds and bent it. Starlings are no match... Plus, I can shoot it in my basement. I highly recommend a good air rifle, if for nothing else but to keep in practice.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    how long until those are banned in the UK?
    They aren't banned yet but the air rifles are regulated if over 12lb of energy you need to get a firearm certificate i do believe .an as one poster said they do make them with fine furniture.Evanix makes a couple that are full auto with pellets 10 an 12 shots but they cost 1800 +thats just for the gun.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    As a matter of fact I just bought a Browning Buck Mark pistol and a Gamo Whisper Recon rifle yesterday. I've been having a squirrel problem lately and an air gun is a nice solution.

You don't have to spend a lot for an air gun but they can get pricy for the more powerful ones.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only air soft gun I would even think about ever getting is a mini-gun. They are pretty cool and real expensive....you tube has several videos.

Airsoft and Air rifles, as being dicussed here, are quite different animals. Air rifles can be suitable for hunting and aren't toys.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I love them! Currently I have five, three rifles and two pistols. Great for cheap target practice, inside, in the winter time. I am waiting for Crosman to release their new break-barrel, nitropiston M4, rated at 1200 fps for alloy pellets and 1000 fps for lead pellets. Recently bought 2000 rounds of ammo for $28.00. Ni-i-i-ce!

I did find out CO2 air guns and cold weather (temp in the 40s) are not compatible.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    CO2, in faqct all liguified gasses rely on expansion to achive velocity. When the temp drops, the liquid fails to expand, thus remains some level of liquid, depending on temp. Ive played paintball in -10 days, when if you were to hook up co2, it would just shoot straight frozen liquid co2 out of the barrel, and fry all the orings in the process.

Kinda funny, we did it once with a pos marker, and it was like a snow cannon.

Top Bottom