• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    Currently have an xd9, but thinking about a smaller gun for edc. Any opinions on which one? Single stack like a kahr? Or a subcompact like a glock 26 or a 3" Springfield? I love my springfield, but did not know about the double stack. Would a single stack be better? Thanks

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First, welcome to INGO bro .. :welcome:

Second, seriously consider a Glock. If you want 9mm in a sub compact, look at the Glock 26. Glock makes a great mag extension called their +1. But in 9mm this extension will give you 2 more rounds. So, a G26 with 12+1 is a force to contend with ..

JMO,

~TK

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Kahr CW9. Sometimes forget I have it with me. My own family did not realize I had it on me last time I carried. Not too expensive. Reliable (after break in, but I buy mine used on INGO after someone else has done that for me). Fits well in hand. Kicks less that my PF9. Good stuff.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Walther PPS

My EDC's are an M&P 40 (two big, if CC. Open Carry is fine) or a Keltec P3-AT, (too small) so I have been looking for that in between (and the Baby Bear said, "This one is Jusssst Right.")
    Biggest issue for me is the double stack as it seems the grip and the big magazine have much more to do with visibility, than the physical size of the rest of the gun.
    I am also looking for something that has more punch than the .380 round.

I would agree that the Kahr CW9 is a good possible choice and one I have been looking at, but I also really liked the Walther PPS, as it is VERY flat, lightweight and is available in either the 9MM or .40 Cal, striker fired (Ie, pull gun,point, and it goes bang,... I am always concerned being accustomed to the M&P that I will in a stress situation overlook the external safety)

Or, I have also been looking at the Kimber CDP II, or Crimson carry (in either the Pro 4" or Ultra 3") models. My Keltec 3-AT has the laser switch in the same position and having a smaller gun (with very short sight radius), I am a strong believer in the point shooting with the laser in a stress situation. Very little argument with a dot on the target, backed up by a .45 cal.
    The issue with the Kimber as always is the price, but what is the price when you are counting on the thing to be used to save your butt, and are going to be hauling it around day in and day out. I also have looked at the model with the rounded heel, but as far as I know they do not have the laser grips for that model... Guess that is really what I am holding off for. Of course, once you are back to the Kimber with the .45 single stack, physically the piece starts getting almost as large as what you are carrying now.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Currently have an xd9, but thinking about a smaller gun for edc. Any opinions on which one? Single stack like a kahr? Or a subcompact like a glock 26 or a 3" Springfield? I love my springfield, but did not know about the double stack. Would a single stack be better? Thanks

another option is to look at the S&W MP 9c.....

I have the MP pro with the 5" barrel, love it, full size 1911 owners tell me that carrying comfortably is all about he belt and holster......so i am looking at this holster down the road.

IMG_8171-reg.jpg

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Also the Ruger LC9 might be a good option.....

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've found that barrel length (up to 5"), makes the least difference as to concealability and comfort, and I'm short (about 5'5").

For me, width is no. 1 factor, grip length is no 2, and overall loaded weight a very close no. 3.

Sounds like a single stack 9 is what you might want to explore. Kahr and Walther are two that come to mind.

TVon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    If you like your XD9, try the same in sub-compact. I carry my XD 40 SC all the time with no problems and I'm a skinny guy. It's pretty much the same size as the Glock 26/27 everyone else is mentioning.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    i like the glocks 23/27,but i am surprised no body has mentioned a j frame revolver small easy to use good firepower can be had in .357 mag and reliable

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    If you like your XD9, try the same in sub-compact. I carry my XD 40 SC all the time with no problems and I'm a skinny guy. It's pretty much the same size as the Glock 26/27 everyone else is mentioning.

+1. I carry an XD9sc in a supertuck with no problems at all with a loose t-shirt. With the exception of the barrel and grip length the 9sc has the exact same dimensions as the full size XD9, and with the extended mag the grip is the same length too.

If you prefer the changes made on the XDm line the new 3.8 inch compact models look nice.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Would a single stack be better?
    Better than what?

I'd first find out what feels good in your hand, and that YOU can shoot well. Then pick which one of those works best in your EDC method (OC or CC).

My Springfield XD40SC seems to work fine for me. I shot the standard XD40 and liked it, so picked up the sub-compact version to carry. If you are trying to conceal, a good holster is at LEAST as important as the gun. My SuperTuck goes a long way towards making that XD disappear.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Everybody has their preference and I have carried many from compact Glocks, XD's and various revolvers from 38 to 44spl. The last three years I have carried an SA EMP40 and have held nothing that I would replace it with. Totally reliable, eats anything I feed it, very slim, easy to conceal and shoot and is a tack driver for a 3".

Besides choosing your side arm, you will also need a quality dual ply gun belt and a good holster, otherwise you'll own something you won't carry. I use TTGunleather holsters and two belts, TTG and Beltman dual ply with stiffener.

dsc05121s.jpg

dsc04472i.jpg

dsc04471j.jpg

BountyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Gibson County
    Do These make my butt look big?

Everybody has their preference and I have carried many from compact Glocks, XD's and various revolvers from 38 to 44spl. The last three years I have carried an SA EMP40 and have held nothing that I would replace it with. Totally reliable, eats anything I feed it, very slim, easy to conceal and shoot and is a tack driver for a 3".

Besides choosing your side arm, you will also need a quality dual ply gun belt and a good holster, otherwise you'll own something you won't carry. I use TTGunleather holsters and two belts, TTG and Beltman dual ply with stiffener.

dsc05121s.jpg

dsc04472i.jpg

dsc04471j.jpg

I'm sorry, that just came to my mind, when I seen the pics.
    But on a serious note that is a great looking setup you got there(holster and mag holster) that is.:rockwoot:

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I've found that barrel length (up to 5"), makes the least difference as to concealability and comfort, and I'm short (about 5'5").

For me, width is no. 1 factor, grip length is no 2, and overall loaded weight a very close no. 3.

Sounds like a single stack 9 is what you might want to explore. Kahr and Walther are two that come to mind.

For me grip length is #1, width #2 and weight #3. That's why I love to shoot the XD pistols but I carry a Glock 19. The 26 is a little easier to conceal and slightly more comfortable to carry but only by a small margin. The XD sc models are no more comfortable/concealable than the G19 so I just don't see the point although I really like the XDM9c with the 3.8-inch barrel.

Sigman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    Make sure you are taking a close look at the weight and size when shopping for an EDC. A few ounces makes a huge difference. Many people start leaving their EDC behind because it becomes to uncomfortable for them to carry daily. Its also important to understand how you plan to carry, such as the type of holster setup. Just some food for thought.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    First, :welcome: to :ingo:. Second, you need to find out what fits your hand best and what you shoot best, no matter what the caliber (within reason). It is no use buying a Colt Government Model and then find out you can't hit anything with it or that you have to wear a shirt 2 sizes too big to conceal it(if CC).

Top Bottom