• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    So i am going to convert to 40 S&W for EDC sometime this year. I have been looking at several different manufacturers and was looking at the FNP-40 and it meets a lot of my needs. I am also looking at the CZ75 Compact. Anyone have any input on the FNP-40 or comparisons to the CZ.

What are my requirements you ask? So far i am thinking:
    1) able to carry cocked and locked.
    2) 40 S&W
    3) Compact
    4) SA/DA

Any other suggested weapons would be nice also. I know i will hear from the 1911 group and that is on the list somewhere down the road. Thanks in advance.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I really liked shooting the FNP ive shot in the past... although it is kinda big for EDC, but if that doesnt bother you then I see nothing wrong with that gun... CZ75 Compact is really nice too, but the triggers on the new CZ PO7 (or PO6 whichever model is the 40 cal version, i cant remember) Duty are awesome! Plus they do not weigh as much as the 75 compact. But, i wouldnt call any of these model truly compact. I carry a HK P2000sk 9mm (they have a 40cal model that I really like too). It is more compact than these models, but you cannot get a full grip with this gun... but again its nice for EDC because of that. But, since you want compact, 40cal, that is SA/DA... I may tell you to look at the sig 239. Its fairly compact but has more of a full grip then things like the HK p2ksk. It is not a "cocked and locked" gun (decocker, like the hk p2000sk), but the FNP is not either (the last time i checked). The sig will have some short comings since's its a single stack, but there are multiple trigger configurations out there and if you find one you really like then the sig would be nice. My choices for this would be:
    1. hk p2000sk (40cal)
    2. sig 239
    3. CZ duty (40cal)
    4. CZ 75 compact
    5. FNP40

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I very much enjoy my FNP. Its not compact but with a Galco kingtuk it's hard to tell
    Ive got it with me. It's been problem free with 0 malfunctions. I love how it feels in my hand and even more how it shoots.

changelac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Feb 6, 2011
    I loved mine while I had it. Never a malfunction and it was a very soft shooting 40. It was a bit on the big side for CC. I did carry it IWB w/ a High Noon Bare Asset and it concealed fairly well just a little large. I ended up trading a couple of times and now CC a Glock 27 in a High Noon Split Decision tuckable. Conceals very nice.
    It was a very nice pistol though....kinda miss it.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    when i had my FNP 40 i loved shooting it, but i always felt it was kind of top heavy, which i mean i guess thats not a bad thing persay but i didnt like the weight difference between the slide and the rest of the gun. Other than that its a great gun and is a work horse, it can get the job done.

Preacher715

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    French Lick, IN
    I like mine... I went to my FNP after selling my larger pistol (Taurus PT-92AR). I liked that the FNP (Loaded) weighed less than my Taurus (empty)... I dont want a small small handgun... I have large hands and I'm picky on how it feels in my hands (I say hands cause i trained myself to shoot on nondominent hand as well... supported and unsupported).

It shoots to my standards and never have had an issue with it....

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Unfortunately according to CZ-USA website The CZ 75 compact in .40 has been discontinued. So your choices are either the alloy framed P-06 or the polly framed P-07 both are great guns. I just picked up the P-01 (9mm version of the P-06) a few days ago and I love it. Nothing on the planet beats CZ quality for the price imho.

They do still Have the 2075 RAMI in .40 cal. Its about the size of a baby Glock with an alloy frame.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Saying I love my FNP would be an understatement. I own one in 9mm and owned one in .40 for a short time. If you want to carry cocked and locked, you'll have to buy the USG model. It gives you the ability to carry cocked and locked, or you can decock the hammer. The standard model is decocker only. They are also full size, so no go on a compact. Another plus in my eyes, they come with 3 mags and interchangable back straps. I can not think of another pistol I would give my FNP up for. I have also owned CZ's as well, and they are a fantastic guns. I owned a 75B in .40, and it's probably the most accurate pistol I have owned or fired.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Unfortunately according to CZ-USA website The CZ 75 compact in .40 has been discontinued. So your choices are either the alloy framed P-06 or the polly framed P-07 both are great guns. I just picked up the P-01 (9mm version of the P-06) a few days ago and I love it. Nothing on the planet beats CZ quality for the price imho.

They do still Have the 2075 RAMI in .40 cal. Its about the size of a baby Glock with an alloy frame.

I saw that they discontinued the 40 in compact I am hoping to come across one still as that will be my first choice right now. Love the one in your pic.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I second every comment that has already been stated. Mine has been shot very little, but zero problems for the rounds I did put downrange. I would not consider it very concealable, even with an IWB, but I am probably smaller than average ( I am 5'7, 150 lbs.) :(

The standard model is is decock only, with the DA/SA trigger being just what you would imagine: long and cumbersome first shot, short and crisp after that. If I OC'ed, I would carry it. Since I don't, it makes a fine addition to the range collection.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Hope you find what you are looking for.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Might I suggest the FNX-40?

I have an FNX-9 and its a nice piece. Also not one I would call compact or concealable but you can decock it or carry it cocked and locked.

Kerrydway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I have owned a FNP 40 for a few years...I have put approx 3000 rounds through it without so much as one malfunction.The only complaint I have is finding accessories such as holster is somewhat limited. I love the gun and will probably buy another in 9 MM

exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I have heard great things about both, I have shot the FNP40, and it handled very well. However, I actually read online recently that FN decided to discontinue the FNP 9 and FNP40, which I was very disappointed to hear, I was planning on making the FNP9 a future purchase. Im not sure how accurate the online sources were though.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd have to throw the FNX out as well, like kawtech said.. my dad wanted something with the safety/decocker stuff and grabbed one. We shot it last weekend and it was pretty nice, IMO - I don't like a DA/SA trigger, but if you do, it's pretty smooth and easy shooting for a .40..

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I would look at the fns, you still get the safety, but no exposed hammer. I was amazed at the trigger, and can't wait to shoot one. I had an fnp for a while, very comfortable, except go the location of the decocker. I planned to pick up an fn, then they riled out the fns. If I could get the fns in the same size as a g35 I'd probably own two.

Top Bottom