• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    So i've decided to sell of a few guns and buy a kimber. I'm really leaning towards the kimber pro carry 2 ss.
    I'm not totally set on the pro carry 2 ss, and am looking for thoughts and opinions on what would be best for my application; and possibly other kimbers to look into as well. What i'm looking for in it is to be a kimber, .45 caliber, reliable, and very accurate. This is going to be a Target gun and carry gun.

Last edited:

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Personally, I love my Tactical Pro II, but departmental rules & regs prohibit me from carrying it, even off duty. With that said, it's well equipped as a carry gun, complete with night sights and all the other goodies that I like. I chose a pistol without a rail, simply because I like the pistol a little less cluttered. It's accurate as hell, and will shoot rings around my issued Glock 17 any time I pick it up. Feed problems are pretty well nonexistent after break-in, and it has that legendary 1911 balance. The choice of which Kimber to carry is very personal, but I would bet you'll be happy with whichever one you select.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I have a Kimber CPD II (four inch barrel and full size grip) and it's a great looking 1911, but have to tell you that I find my SA-XD .45 in four inch has less recoil and easier to shoot with a larger magazine.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    There are several Kimbers listed on the classified right now that you might want to check out. I have Kimber ultra carry II and while I haven't had it that long, I love it. She's a sassy thing, but very accurate. more accurate than I am, anyway.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Personally, I love my Tactical Pro II, but departmental rules & regs prohibit me from carrying it, even off duty. With that said, it's well equipped as a carry gun, complete with night sights and all the other goodies that I like. I chose a pistol without a rail, simply because I like the pistol a little less cluttered. It's accurate as hell, and will shoot rings around my issued Glock 17 any time I pick it up. Feed problems are pretty well nonexistent after break-in, and it has that legendary 1911 balance. The choice of which Kimber to carry is very personal, but I would bet you'll be happy with whichever one you select.

+1. And there just happens to be that exact one in the classifieds...

kricket37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ultra Carry II in black. It is very easy to conceal. I have heard the Crossbread holsters work well with Kimbers. The gun shoots like a dream. I was was surprised with the size of the barrel. If you haven't shot one, you might try to borrow one or find someone that is going to be at the range that would let you shoot theirs. Don't know how much experience you have with a 45 but they fit a little different in my hand than my other guns.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Hate the name - like the guns!

The name reminds of a brand of diapers they used to sell when I was a kid "Kimbies" and everytime I see Kimber written on the side of one of their beautiful 1911s all I can do is chuckle and think "diaper gun":):
    Sorry - couldn't resist.;)

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Hate the name - like the guns!

The name reminds of a brand of diapers they used to sell when I was a kid "Kimbies" and everytime I see Kimber written on the side of one of their beautiful 1911s all I can do is chuckle and think "diaper gun":):
    Sorry - couldn't resist.;)

Easy now, I named my daughter Kimber, not Kimberly, Kimber. :draw:

It was afterwards that my wife found out there was a gun that was named Kimber! :D

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I have a Ultra Carry II in black. It is very easy to conceal. I have heard the Crossbread holsters work well with Kimbers. The gun shoots like a dream. I was was surprised with the size of the barrel. If you haven't shot one, you might try to borrow one or find someone that is going to be at the range that would let you shoot theirs. Don't know how much experience you have with a 45 but they fit a little different in my hand than my other guns.

I have plenty of experience with small .45 caliber handguns, i actually carry a pt145 for the last few years.

nickl16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I love my Tactical Pro II, as said it is very accurate. I have had some issues with feeding but I don't even have 300 rds through it. My dad has a Ultra Crimson Carry and it went through the same thing but both are very nice and shoot very well. I definitely recommend them.

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I also have the ultra carry II with meprolight night sights and crimson laser sights. Perhaps a little "over kill" but it works well as a carry for me. I had a little trouble with failure to extract when it was in the break in period, but now it shoots like a dream. No regrets on this purchase

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I have a Kimber Pro Carry in .40. One of the smoothest guns I've ever shot. I won't hesitate to pick up another Kimber in full size next time I get the 1911 itch.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a Kimber Pro CDP II and love it. It's been 100% reliable through the first 500 rounds. I bought it expecting it to be a great firearm and I haven't been disappointed. It's a little snappy on the recoil front with jhp ammo but it's still manageable. I say go for it if you can find settle on a Kimber model that you like - the tricky part will be narrowing it down to just one model!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Compact Stainless II and love em both. I put night sights on both and the Compact has become my main carry gun and also gets nightstand duty as well. Both have been very reliable right out of the box and I've never regretted either one.

For me, the Compact makes the most sense if I could only have one of them. The Ultra is a great gun, but for a carry/target gun, the Compact is a great choice. It's big enough to be fun to shoot and accurate and it's also small enough to carry all day long without being a pain. I used to carry a full size Springfield and would quite often end up with a back ache at the end of the night. It may have been holster related, but one of the holsters I used to carry it with was an MTAC Minitour. I've carried the Compact all day with that holster with no issues. The Ultra is a great gun too, but I feel better after a 100 rounds of Compact shooting than I do after 100 rounds of Ultra shooting.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I suppose Kimber makes different models because people have different opinions about what they want in a pistol, but that is what you asked for so I'll give mine.

There's plenty of debate over the Series II safety, if you get into that sort of thing. My opinion is, I don't want the additional possibility of a mechanical breakage affecting my carry pistol. Yes, you can find many that claim no problems. You find some otherwise. I don't want the chance. And if I have the pistol and may some day need it when it counts, that's not the time I want to find out it doesn't function because of 3 silly parts.

To that end, I've had a few Series I Kimbers - all Pro models. My first was a Pro Carry, and shot it more than most. It had an issue locking back on an empty mag, but Kimber mailed me out a replacement slide stop and all was well again.

It looked as if anyone buying new production Kimbers was stuck with the Series II safety. But there are a couple models produced without it seems.

The Warrior has been out for a while, and does not have the additional safety. Grips are pretty thick on it, and it's 5", so maybe not your best choice. One of their newer models without the safety is the Super Carry. I recently picked up the Super Carry Custom, but have yet to shoot the thing. They make a Pro size in this model too.

My :twocents:

picture.php

Top Bottom