• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I have a problem... I guess I am trying to find 1 gun to use for all purposes. I would like to find 1 firearm to conceal and range. The problem I am having is that I have large hands and the compacts are just not comformatable. I have tried EAA witness 40, Glock 17 and 1911 frames they fit my hand well. Problem is I feel like these would be much harder to conceal.

I am really considering the g17 gen 3 because of all the positive things I have read about them. I just feel as though I am going to be let down as far as concealment goes. (I did hold a g19 didnt care for my pinky hanging off and half my ring finger on the clip.) I am large framed 6' 220lbs.

Anyone have any thoughts on firearms that would be great at concealment, comfort(from the description of my hand size above) and reliablity?

p.s I did hold a g19 didnt care for my pinky hanging off and half my ring finger on the clip.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    As far as concealment goes the length of the gun doesn't matter its all the size of the grip. Somebody your size should be able to conceal a 1911. If you can't do that look at the various Springfield xd and xdm sizes

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd much rather have a gun that fit, that I could control well, than worry about keeping it hidden.

But perhaps you have a circumstance that requires complete concealment. If so, you may have to make compromises in your normal attire, your holster selection and carry position, or the size and fit of your firearm.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    I carry a Commander sized 1911 daily. It's easy enough to conceal because It's relatively flat compared to any double-stack pistol. Another option would be buying a sub-compact pistol with both flush and extended magazines. XD sub_compact, M&P compact, etc.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    There is legally no reason to conceal in Indiana, but if you must, get a commander or government length, and send it to a gunsmith that you like to have the frame bobtailed.

Then use flush seating mags.

1911s are some of the easiest to conceal handguns. Also a pleasure to shoot.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I carry a Commander sized 1911 daily. It's easy enough to conceal because It's relatively flat compared to any double-stack pistol.
    This.

I carry a 1911 daily with 2 extra magazines and nobody ever notices. Just get a good gun belt.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    A quality holster and a belt specifically made to to carry weight will make all the difference in the world. Plus acting normal is another big p,us when carrying....lol many people who carry will constantly act like they are doing something wrong and therefore draw attention to themselves. As in poker many people have tells that show they are nervous about something and in the case of carrying it is no different. Constantly pulling your shirt tail down, walking stiff-armed covering your gun, touching it and rearranging it while you walk... I can carry a full-sized gun outside the waistband and have never been called out...longer long shirts, slightly darker colors...it is incredibly easy to conceal and to be honest, most people are so oblivious they barely notice you having a monkey on your head while walking in WalMart.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a problem... I guess I am trying to find 1 gun to use for all purposes. I would like to find 1 firearm to conceal and range. The problem I am having is that I have large hands and the compacts are just not comformatable. I have tried EAA witness 40, Glock 17 and 1911 frames they fit my hand well. Problem is I feel like these would be much harder to conceal.

I am really considering the g17 gen 3 because of all the positive things I have read about them. I just feel as though I am going to be let down as far as concealment goes. (I did hold a g19 didnt care for my pinky hanging off and half my ring finger on the clip.) I am large framed 6' 220lbs.

Anyone have any thoughts on firearms that would be great at concealment, comfort(from the description of my hand size above) and reliablity?

p.s I did hold a g19 didnt care for my pinky hanging off and half my ring finger on the clip.

First off, if it is for range, then I would narrow it down by caliber. 9mm is the CHEAPEST ammo....easiest to find, and still has decent stopping power. I made the choice of 9mm for those very same reasons.

I am 6'5", 290 lbs. I tried Glocks, Springfield XD's, Rugers, but when I picked up the MP....I was sold. The three different sized backstraps make it completely customizable for different sized hands.

Then I had to decide on which MP. I ended up going with the 5" MP Pro.....for two reasons. I REALLY like the front Fiber Optic sight for range work (which I do weekly), and the 5" focal length is very nice. Plus, the Pro triggers are far better than the stock ones.

i would HIGHLY recommend you find a range with a few different rental guns in stock to try out first. Or ask some INGO members to try theirs out. If you are in the Lafayette area, give me a shout, and you would be most welcome to try out my 9mm at Applied Ballistics.

Also, as stated in this thread, nothing beats a GOOD quality holster and belt. I had mine custom made by El Paso Saddlery. I can wear it all day without any issues.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood

I conceal a G17 (Gen 4) regularly. A loose-fitting t-shirt usually does the trick pretty well, as long as I'm not bending over to pick up something. When the weather allows for it, a jacket of some sort makes for excellent concealment.

You'll always have a trade off between gun size/weight and the ability to conceal it.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    The 1911 with a 3" barrel, Officer Models conceals very well due to the flat design. I carry mine inside or outside the waist. A good Pancake or Paddle holster will keep it high and tights against you side so that it hardly shows under a tee shirt.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have a problem... I guess I am trying to find 1 gun to use for all purposes. ...

There is no such thing. ;)

Given that, and your purportedly huge hand size, sounds like you may have to choose between a full grip, and better concealability.

My suggestion would be a mid size gun like a Glock 19 or Glock 30 (or other mfg equivalents). The 19 is a bit slimmer. The 30 has more girth to the grip. With either of these you can enjoy a fuller grip at the range with an extended mag (G17 or G21) and the appropriate gap filler.

You can also carry it with a standard mag and have easier concealability. A big guy like you should be able to conceal a mid-size/compact pistol with no issues unless you have unusual dress requirements.

Last edited:

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The PPQ is just slightly longer than the glock 19, enough for you to probably get a full grip, and definitely with the extended 17 rd mag inserted.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I strongly recommend you focus on finding a firearm that fits you (and your hand) best.

As previously said by ATM, comfortably and safely concealing a full size firearm has it's downfalls.

I don't know if you're looking for 100% concealment, but now that I've carried for a while...
    When it needs to be hidden out of general view, I wear an OWB holster COMFORTABLY with my shirt pulled over it and I'm good to go.

It may be a fashion statement to some, but just as a reminder - You do not have to conceal in the state of Indiana. It's your preference.

toddcraft33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Camby
    I carry a XDM 40. It is the 3.8 on a full size frame. The 16 round mags are great at the range, and it has been a great EDC.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    Here is my .02. Go to a gun store and fondle a bunch of guns. Go for feel first. Opinions shouldn't matter from the crowd quite yet. However you asked for opinions :) I would recommend a Bersa Thunder 380 or Bersa Thunder 380 CC model. Here are my reasons.

1. Safety and functionality of firearm for a first time owner. Yes safety starts with the user and your brain.
    2. Size. Good size, not too big not too small. Hold one, you will see. If you don't like it, you don't like it.
    3. Price. $250 range... you can't beat it. I have owned several Bersa's and 0 issues. Gave them to family members who wanted a 1st handgun... they love them!
    4. Warranty. Lifetime warranty for purchaser. There is even a local warranty center down by Bloomington if you had an issue.

Caliber is in the eye of the beholder. .380 is just fine.

Remember this will be your first handgun, and you WILL buy more in the future. If you break the bank first you will not have $ for ammo, holsters, etc...

My first was a Bersa Thunder 380. I shopped for 6 months before I held one. Once I held it, it was meant to be. Carried it for over a year. Gave it to grandfather who wanted a gun for his job(security guard). Then bought CC model, then PF9, then XDM9mm. Had a few others in there too, but they were not worth mentioning.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I actually own a bersa .380 and yes it is very dependable and concealable. One thing I dislike about it is ammo prices. It does not fulfill 1 of the criteria as a range gun. I do like the gun but as I said I was looking for an all around gun. I dont care for the hand fit either : ( .

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    You say your pinky finger hangs off the end and your ring finger is partially on the mag of a G19? Are you sure you weren't handling a G26?

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Google Remora holsters and you can see them on you tube. I have 3 of them for different size guns. I have one for an FNP 40 which is a big .40 cal pistol with a large grip. I can carry that IWB with no problem. very light weight, slim and versatile without the bulk.

Top Bottom